Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul D
Australia
Carnegie
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
What are the different ways a unit can be assigned a suppressed token?

I take it that it's only by special events -- card play, the usage of a special ability, the collapsing of a structure; it never happens from plain ol' firing between units. Is that right??

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I remember you can assign suppressed token when

- Assaulting a unit with limited fire angle, from out of the angle.
- Scoring 3-4 damage on a heavy vehicle.
- Demolishing a building or a transport vehicle (every unit inside take a suppressed token)
- Various Abilities (Sniper, Terrifying, Suppression Fire, Scary shooting)
- Triggerhappy also gives 3 tokens that you can place on a unit when you fire at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Robinson
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some infantry units have the supression symbol printed on them. For those units you can CHOSE if you are going to fire upon them OR lay down supression fire.

In my experience this is the most common way suppression tokens get on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most machine guns (on vehicles or deployed on bipod or tripod) in the game have a Suppression special ability. They can fire to suppress.

This is covered on p. 18 of v1.1 of the rulebook under "Suppressive Fire" (Symbol is some bullets overlaying an orange down-arrow)

Would have been nice if it had actually been discussed in the section titled "Firing" which is where people will look for the rules, but at least it is covered in the description of the special ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
prd1982 wrote:
What are the different ways a unit can be assigned a suppressed token?

I take it that it's only by special events -- card play, the usage of a special ability, the collapsing of a structure; it never happens from plain ol' firing between units. Is that right??

Thanks!

Some units can fire to suppress (most machine guns for example) rather than normal shooting. Units with the frightening shot ability (flamethrower for example) can suppress a unit targeted even if the shot 'misses'. Similarly the sniper ability operates differently to normal shooting and can result in suppressing the target. Units with the terrifying ability who assault will always place at least one suppression marker on the target (assuming it survives).

Other ways - buildings or transports containing units which are destroyed will suppress the occupants, units with a limited firing arc which are assaulted from outside that arc will take a suppression token. The hull damage result on vehicles (3 or 4) results in two suppression markers being placed on the vehicle.
Then of course there are the cards - vehicles and infantry can be assigned suppression markers, in addition there are cards which downgrade a hit on the unit to a suppression marker. IIRC there's also one of the air support cards which fires for suppression.

Generally speaking, suppression is quite a common occurrence. At least in my games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard-Nose
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can a machinegunner use his "machinegunner" and "suppressive fire" abilities simultaneously?

E.g. a turn looking like this:
1 - announce suppressive fire
2 - double combat bonus (and card bonus)
3 - distribute that bonus between several enemy targets
4 - resolve each shot
5 - place "suppressed"-tokens accordingly
?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard-Nose
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am nobody, but I think the answer is yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Matschmensch wrote:
Can a machinegunner use his "machinegunner" and "suppressive fire" abilities simultaneously?

Yes, though the restrictions for targeting via the machinegunner ability would apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard-Nose
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.