United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys!

Having played Heroes of Normandie (HoN) several times now, it struck me how Heroscape might be improved by using the additional unit movement rule from HoN. HoN employs an almost identical order marker system as Heroscape. The major difference is that once all of the turn markers have been used, all other units without turn markers are allowed to be moved (but cannot attack or assault). I would love to try using that rule in Heroscape in order to bring units into the fray that were once relegated to the edge of the map, especially in larger battles. This would add a lot of relevance to the entire army rather than just a few units that repeatedly get order markers put on them. It certainly gets the other units closer to the action. Thoughts?

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. How would that work with commons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Interesting. How would that work with commons?

Do you mean a situation where you have more than 1 squad, and an order marker on only one of the squads? I imagine it would work like this: keep track of which figures have already been activated by the order marker and don't move these in the free movement phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I guess that would take a bit of book keeping to keep the commons straight.....

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like fun. You would want to apply it carefully because of what it would do to the competitive balance of some units. Melee would love it, of course, including particularly the Deathreavers, which are very fast and who don't get much from their attacks anyway. Ranged units that run and gun, such as Guilty McCreech, would struggle. But in the right matchup it would be a fun variant.

Edit: the 4th Mass. think it's an excellent suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When playing high point value games (1000 points or more) on big maps, we often do the following as a variation on the official methods....it has turned out to be pretty fun and to solve some of the problem of units sitting idly.

Each player receives an extra set of markers 1 through 3. Whenever they take a turn they may choose one of that number to be their "full turn" as normal and the other to be their "move only" turn. The "move only" turn is, as the name would imply, a turn in which the figures involved can do nothing but move...no attacks or special ability activations. They can fly or slither or stand on lava or anything else their powers might passively allow, however. They simply can't take aggressive actions or heal other units or take any other actions that involve choice/input like that. Negative conditions such as rolling for plague still apply.

Another variation we sometimes added to that main concept was to treat the "X" marker as a wild card. If a player wanted to use the "X" marker to take a full turn, they could, provided they also gave up their regular number AND their "move only" number for that round.

Obviously these rules don't make sense for small to medium sized games, but in huge battles on huge maps? They work really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While I love house rules, I can see problems with this. Some of the weaker cards are not worth as much because there is a cost associated with putting an order marker on them: it means you can't activate someone else. If a friend of mine were going to institute this rule, I'd want to try an army with tons of cheap units to overwhelm my opponent.

That said, you should try it out and let us know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Yeah, I guess that would take a bit of book keeping to keep the commons straight.....

-Ski

I think I'd try it with commons this way:

If you want to attack with your commons, put an order marker on them and then none move except those that were activated by the order marker.

Or don't put an order marker on them and they all get to move at the end of the round.

It would definitely be different!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.