Valor & Victory» Forums » General

Subject: Updated scenario guide? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antti Karjalainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi! I apparently am also late for the party, but better late than never This was/is my first P&P project and it turned out surprisingly well. Valor & Victory is also the first hex&counter wargame in boardgame format I have ever played (excluding memoir '44..., played a ton of Steel Panthers II onthe PC) and I have to say I am very impressed! I always thought these kind of games would last hours upon hours at a minimum. My gf and I were very happily surprised that we went through rules explanations and first scenario in under an hour. The intensity of the action also blew me away Squads seemed to drop like flies compared to memoir '44!

So onto the real question. I immediately began expanding onto more maps and armies. While doing so, I noticed that the scenario guide in the files section does not include all of the posted scenarios, nor even close to all the maps (1-50 something?). As a new player I am far from confident enough to make my own scenarios, and thus would like to make use of the ready material. So is there an updated scenario guide anywhere? Are there more scenarios for the apparently unused maps somewhere online? How about all the various additional units each nation has, do all of them even have scenarios which include them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cumings
United States
St James
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenario guide is not complete, but I think everything to be had scenario-wise is in the Files section. Start by looking for scenarios you find interesting, and then check for the maps and counters you need (unless your hands are getting the shakes from wanting to make more maps/counters--happens to me sometimes).

To answer the follow-up questions, there are maps (maybe most at this point) without corresponding scenarios, and there are counters without V&V scenarios to use them with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to V&V Antti! I am relatively new to V&V too and I have been having tons of fun coming up with historical scenarios that use some of the maps and counters that have not yet been used by other designers. I think after playing a some of the wonderful scenarios in the scenario guide and getting comfortable with the V&V game system, you will find that it is not that difficult to design your own as well . (I am play testing another scenario that I designed recently and will post it soon .) The main thing is to have fun and give it a try. The V&V system and components available give you almost limitless possibilities!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Karjalainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fast replies! I downloaded all the scenarios I could find, and I'm going through them slowly expanding in both maps and units. It's just such a pity that some maps or units are only used in one scenario. Not just from the artist's point of view, but from my own as well. It's a bit of work to make those counters laugh I am also a bit of a lazy gamer in the sense that I prefer to play ready scenarios as opposed to making my own. I trust in the experience and judgement of other gamers when it comes to balancing the scenarios. Then if the they turn out to be one sided, the next one might be one sided with the roles switched. Thus I'm glad to hear you are making more scenarios, Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth I uploaded my won XLS file named Valor&Victory - Scenario overview, which is based on Andrew's original V&V Scenario Guide.

I expanded it with Turn count per Scenario, replaced filenames with real Scenario names, split Players into Player A and Player B and color-coded Players as well based on Nationality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.