Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to call attention to a wonderful series of articles, but before doing so I want to make one thing clear: the material I refer to is on ConsimWorld. For some reason (which I fervently hope will not be discussed here) this bothers some people. If you're one of them, please jump thread immediately; there's no need to read further. Thanks for dropping by!

(OK, now that they've gone, anyone still here is invited to move forward to the reserved seating area near the podium.)

Alright then. My recommendation is for two parallel series of articles, the first focussing on events in the Pacific Theater and located in the Silent War forum on ConsimWorld, and the second focussing on events in the Atlantic and Europe and located in the Steel Wolves folder on CSW.

Not surprisingly, given that Silent War and Steel Wolves are games about submarine warfare, there is an emphasis on naval events generally and submarine related events in particular, but land and air warfare feature prominently as well.

The whole thing is done by Stephen Jackson (not to be confused with the Steve Jackson who runs his own eponymous game company). Steve not only does a brilliant job of digging up interesting info for this project, but does so 7 days a week, year after year. I'm sure he'll be relieved when Japan surrenders next year and the war comes to an end, but I for one will wonder how to fill the void.

And I'm not kidding when I say that; reading Steve's daily posts has become an addiction for me. Taken as a whole, it's absolutely the best thing I've followed on the web in recent years. I'll tell you a bit more about it, and then I'll give you the links to get you started (you'd be smart to scroll down and click now, thus avoiding my sales pitch).

A typical day's post is a bullet list of events with photos (usually ones I've never seen before) and quite often videos as well. It's a short read each day, but my mind boggles when I think what it took for Steve to assemble it.

I've read so many fascinating stories there, covering the spectrum from world leaders and top generals down to the lowest ranks. And not just from the allied perspective; there was a story a couple of weeks back about a Japanese pilot who dove his plane in front of a running torpedo in an effort to keep it from hitting his ship. A heroic act by any measure. There was a story about a native soldier who was bayonetted to a tree by Japanese soldiers and left to die, but didn't. Soon after, he was stalking his tormentors and taking their heads. You get the idea: all kinds of stories of heroism and villainy and all the shades between, mixed in with the news of the day.

I'll give you one more caution before sharing links: there are occasionally graphic images that I wouldn't want my grandchildren to see. This should surprise no one, given the subject matter, but it needed to be said.

OK, there are basically two ways you can go: start at the very beginning and work your way through the whole thing, or have a peek at today's post and start from there. Pick a link and have a look:

The very first post in the Silent War folder (Pacific): 70 Years Ago Today - Nov 1, 2011

The most recent post in the Silent War folder (Pacific): 70 Years Ago Today - July 25, 2014

The very first post in the Steel Wolves folder (Europe): 70 Years Ago Today - Oct 15, 2009

The most recent post in the Steel Wolves folder (Europe): 70 Years Ago Today - July 25, 2014

Lastly, I'll give you a couple of tips in case you're unfamiliar with ConsimWorld and want to start checking the daily postings for the remainder of the war. At the very top of any of the pages I've linked, you'll see this:

I've circled the Join / Subscribe links in red. If you like what you see, I suggest you join. It's free to do so - you can optionally support the site, just like here, but that's not required. After you've joined, you'll want to subscribe to the folder you're in (Silent World or Steel Wolves).

After you've done that all you need to do is go to http://www.talk.consimworld.com, where you'll this:

I've circled the Read New Messages button. Click that and it will take you straight to the first unread post in the folder you subscribed to. If you subscribed to more than one folder, there will be a Read New Messages button on each page. By clicking it successively you can cycle through all your subscriptions.

That's about it. Great series, as I'm sure anyone who knows about it will tell you. But don't take anyone else's word for it; see for yourself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Johnson
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the links. These are awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has just occurred to me that I should have taken my description of the ConsimWorld interface a step beyond just telling you how to join and subscribe to a thread. The thing is, once you've done so hitting the Read New Messages button persists in taking you back to the oldest messages you have not yet read. You may well want to go back and read those older posts at your leisure, but at the moment you'd rather look at your other subscriptions. If that's the case, you'd want to mark the current folder as having been read, but how to do so is not intuitive.

Here's how. First, look at the buttons on the bottom of your current CSW forum page. The one you want is 'Preferences':

Clicking that will take you to your Preferences page. When that opens, click 'Manage Subscriptions':

That should take you to your Manage Subscriptions page, where the header looks like so (note the position of the Mark as Read column):

Now scroll down to the specific subscription (for me that's a long list so I use ctrl-f to let the browser quickly find what I'm looking for). Using Steel Wolves as an example, you would see something like this:

The Check Messages checkbox will have been automatically filled when you subscribed. Check the second checkbox (Mark as Read), then click the Set button. That should do it.

That's the method for marking a single subscription as read, but if you'd rather do that for all your subscriptions in one shot, simply scroll to the bottom of the Manage Subscriptions page, select the 'Mark entire subscription list as current' checkbox and click 'Submit':

Hopefully that will make life easier for anyone new to ConsimWorld who wants to understand how the CSW subscription system works. Once you have a number of subscriptions, checking them all is a very simple process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
For people interested in following history as it happens, I'll suggest the twitter feeds @RealTimeWWI and @RealTimeWWII.
The WWII feed is up to this date in 1942, but the WWI feed is right at the start; Austria-Hungary has just declared war on Serbia; the clock is running exactly 100 years in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

The Check Messages checkbox will have been automatically filled when you subscribed. Check the second checkbox (Mark as Read), then click the Set button. That should do it.

That's the method for marking a single subscription as read

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.