Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As one who is considering making an investment in PACG, and in the fantasy board/card game category in general for the first time, this question might be a little different than what's typically posted. Hopefully it doesn't come across as naive and somewhat foolish...

Beyond what for me are the game's most appealing characteristics - its accessibility and its campaign nature, what I'm particularly interested in is seeing if I could readily adapt the PACG mechanics to create my own set of adventures based on a series that's near and dear to my heart: The Dresden Files. It would seem to me that the episodic nature of Jim Butcher's stories, and the way in which he introduces new 'heroes' and new villain classes in each novel, would lend themselves quite well to adaptation into a set of PACG adventures. Interestingly, I had considered this before even learning that Paizo had published a Dresden RPG game.

So is this a realistic possibility and a reasonable longer-term motivation for making an investment in the PACG game system? Or would the results (their entertainment value) not justify the time and effort it would take to accomplish this?

This is by no means the only source of my interest in Pathfinder. I'd certainly want to play and enjoy the out-of-the-box adventures series. But the possibility of creating my own fan-generated series like this would make this pretty much a no-brainer decision for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not familiar with the Dresden Files, but can say that Paizo has given lots of support to make your own cards. They have provided a free card template for every card type. Granted, your cards will probably look different then the officially made ones in terms of quality, but using card sleeves should solve that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Miller
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would work. PACG is pretty sandbox in nature.

You could have Dresden, Molly, Murphy and Thomas as characters. Barriers, monsters concepts would easily transfer as would the boons- allies (cops, morticians, friendly wizards etc), items etc. The only thing you may want to change is 'Armour' to something more expansive like 'Mundane equipment'. Items could capture all the magic gadgets and equipment would supply Murphy's guns and equipment...and I guess Harry's revolver and car too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
smarano wrote:
Interestingly, I had considered this before even learning that Paizo had published a Dresden RPG game.

The very excellent Dresden Files RPG is by Evil Hat Productions, not Paizo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil Young
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Star Wars mod somewhere in the variants section, so I am sure Dresden is possible. Would love to see it once you have something together so please share.

Feel free to post drafts as well if you are looking for feedback . Lots of helpful people in the community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all.
Sounds like doing this is a definite possibility.
It will of course be awhile before I embark on this, as I've got to learn the game first!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.