Hide
14 Posts

Hive» Forums » News

Subject: Building Hive Replay Site in HTML5 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donk Begrudgin
msg tools

Since Mr. Yiani and some other people can't replay in Java -- I'm building an HTML5 replay site for Hive Tournaments. Look out for it in the Late Summer/Early fall of 2014.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Colombo
United States
Raleigh / Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
BlueLineGameStudios.com
badge
BlueLine Game Studios - Digital Tabletop games since 2011
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! That would be fun to have Happy to help in any way I can. Feel free to re-use the HTML5 code I have for the Hive board-layout editor:
http://bluelinegamestudios.com/hive/editor/

Also happy to host it (free) indefinitely if you need hosting.

Let me know if you'd like a hand with any of it, otherwise... looking forward to seeing it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you copy over the logs of the tournament games by hand, or will your site be able to automatically import logs from boardspace.net? I've never looked in to if Dave has an API for that kind of thing or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donk Begrudgin
msg tools
@SeanColumbo -- Thank you for the offer -- I will get in touch with you about that. Your blog helped me think out how I wanted to handle representing the board-space. I was already using the grid system you proposed there.

@Ryan James -- I hadn't thought that far ahead. I was just going to manually throw the logs on my back-end specifically for tournaments.

Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pgeiger wrote:

Since Mr. Yiani and some other people can't replay in Java -- I'm building an HTML5 replay site for Hive Tournaments. Look out for it in the Late Summer/Early fall of 2014.

It's possible to download the game records with a http site crawler.
The individual games are in SGF format, which is fairly well documented,
but the details of the board and move notation might be a challenge
to reimplement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Griese
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, after this pompous announcement, and two years later, there is no news of the "Hive Replay" HTML5 that was coming in... summer 2014. Guess this one, like many others, is dead. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Reiter
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
It didn't strike me as particularly pompous. Is there some reason you wanted to insult this fellow?

Frank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Griese
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a banner specifically designed for this kind of announcement doesn't strike me as particularly humble.

And as far as I know, pompous is not a swear word, so how is it insulting ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
linael wrote:
And as far as I know, pompous is not a swear word, so how is it insulting ?

What?
Something does not have to be a swear word to be an insult.

(In particular, "pompous" can be an insult meaning ostentatious, pretentious, showing off.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Griese
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, designing a banner to announce something, than never giving any progress update of any sort in over two years is showing off, isn't it ? And calling it a "show off" is not insulting, it is just stating a fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Reiter
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
Stupid and idiot are not swear words, but most people would be offended if I called them a stupid idiot.

Pompous is an insult. Take the high road. Apologize and move on.

Frank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I am sure Frank (linael) did not intend it as an insult, but is seemingly unaware of typical usage of the word "pompous". It could be enlightening to do a web search to see typical usage, which is usually clearly negative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting back to the original topic; the archive and replay features of boardspace are available on the ios and android clients, which do not require java. Phones are a bit cramped, but full sized tablets are very satisfactory. Die hard windows users with java phobia can run android simulators too. My favorite android tablet is my surface pro running Nox android player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Griese
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I resign trying to make my point and submit to Dave's suggestion: back to the original topic and the mother of all Hive reviewers - Boardspace.net.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.