Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter is a blast. Absolute classic, I'm not trying to replace it. I'm looking for a game that is smaller and more portable with the same "feel". The negotiating, the asymmetric powers, the duplicity! Is there a card game that provides the same experience?

Help me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Procyk
Canada
Ottawa (Orléans)
Ontario
flag msg tools
You may want to give Citadels a try. It is not exactly a clone of Cosmic Encounter.

It is certainly more portable, suitable for a lot of players and can be evil at times...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
brozo wrote:
You may want to give Citadels a try. It is not exactly a clone of Cosmic Encounter.

It is certainly more portable, suitable for a lot of players and can be evil at times...

Thank you but I already have Citadels. It is one of the games we play in the situation I outlined, but its nowhere near CE in banter and table talk.

I'm surprised no one else has had any recommendations. It just goes to show how perfect a game like Cosmic Encounter is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed you don't have Coup. I wouldn't say it like a more compact Cosmic Encounter but I don't think such a game exists, if one does I would also get it in a heartbeat. Coup does however have a good amount of trash talk, baiting, and banter going on during games and is very compact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Procyk
Canada
Ottawa (Orléans)
Ontario
flag msg tools
Horror Leader wrote:

Thank you but I already have Citadels. It is one of the games we play in the situation I outlined, but its nowhere near CE in banter and table talk.

I'm surprised no one else has had any recommendations. It just goes to show how perfect a game like Cosmic Encounter is!

You don't have Citadels listed in your collection. I normally check before making suggestions.

I agree CE is pretty unique. The only other game that nearly resembles it of course is Dune by the same designers. In addition to being a hard to find grail game it is also less portable and not card based as per your requirements.

I have been told that Rex: Final Days of an Empire is similar. However I have never played it. My well worn copy of Dune is still serviceable so I need not settle for second best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I really need to keep my collection more up to date. I do own Citadels and Coup. Sorry about that. Thanks for your help so far. It doesn't have to necessarily be a card game, those just happen to have a lot of portability.

Maybe its about time someone try to design a more portable, quick, and awesome Cosmic Encounter type game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Illuminati, maybe. It's just a deck of cards and some money tokens in terms of components. It's not a fast game, though, just very portable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
but its nowhere near CE in banter and table talk.

You need to have a good 'story' to tell in One Night Ultimate Werewolf, although it is not quite the trash talk and baiting that you could have in CE. But at least it is small and portable and quick, but very intense and very adjustable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
It just goes to show how perfect a game like Cosmic Encounter is!
It shows that CE didn't influnce a lot of game. Actually none. (apart from the whole 'rules on cards ignore general rules' principle)

There isn't any game like cosmic. So that's that. (it's my #1 for a reason).

However, you can get certain things in a small package.
1) King of Tokyo - some chaos, some randomness, lots of unique cards, and like cosmic, you don't get to chose who you attack. Banter is optional.
2) Intrigue I think it's out of print, but you can make your own copy from bgg files. Said to be the meanest little game out there (a.k.a. Diplomacy in 45 minutes). Pure negotiation game.
3) Condottiere I usually announce this as: Risk meets traditional card game. FFG version is very portable. There are cards that enable drastic shifts, but there's much negotiation (or rather: if you want the game to work as intended, negotiate - the trick is in letting people with good hands block other people with good hands). If you go for it, I recommend playing with 1st/2nd edition rules, not the ones from FFG.
4) Kakerlakenpoker Royal - something like Coup, but more free form. Grows with a group. There's less gamey-ness and more psychology than in Coup (yes, it's possible). A game of lying through your teeth.
5) Cosmic Eidex. Obligatory reference - I doubt, this is what you're searching for. Take Swiss traditional, baroque card game Jass, and add "special powers" (as aliens in Cosmic Encounter) and you get Cosmic Eidex. Very cheap, portable. And plays only 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... maybe try Lifeboat. Small package, shifting alliances/betrayals, card-play, player powers, etc. NOT to be confused with "Lifeboats" which isn't Cosmicy at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan McNamara
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax Porfiriana!

At first I couldn't think of anything, but Pax Porfiriana does replicate some of the feeling of CE. It is certainly more portable (a tiny box), but it can take almost as much table space.

Players have asymmetric starting abilities (albeit not as extreme as CE). There are all sorts of ways to mess with other players (assassinations, extortion, nationalizing their property, causing revolts, imprisoning them, buying cards out from under them...), you can make deals with other players (rulebook is explicit that all deals are non-binding), and the game rewards players who can best manage the powerful (chaotic?) swings of fate that the game can take.

It's a brilliant game; the ruleset isn't as accessible as CE, so a learning game is likely needed to fully grasp the system (a few turns will make the rules and actions sensible, but a full game is needed to get a sense of the flow and how to ably prepare for toppling the gov't).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay Lifeboat looks promising. I like the throwing overboard mechanic and asking for help. But the love/hate thing reminds me of Android which is fun except when you get one of those non-optimal setups love/hate yourself love/hate the same person.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Some of these I'm wary on theme alone because they appear very serious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.