Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the issue I have with HL is that I would like to keep all the bits out and play campaigns over several days. But with my small apartment and the rest of the family, it is not easily done.

I am thinking about a wall mounted version of HL. The dipslay would be mounted on a magnet board with magnetized cards (somehow) and tokens (the 100's of tokens, yikes!).

Anyone has any ideas?

The idea would be to keep all the tokens in a box and then as I play, I can mount them on the board on the wall. That would feel very "army-like" (I have no experience of the army/navy/air force, so don't shoot me down for this comment )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a lot of work. I would suggest the following: Cards can be put into separate tuck boxes when not in use, counters I would get 2 GMT trays (life savers!!!). The board can be folded between missions so no problem there. Your log sheet will have your fighter info so you can restart whenever, just use those tuck boxes to keep your cards separate (used and unused).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan, you may be right. It just felt like it would be a great idea to have the board on the wall, and I could sort of walk past it, move a few counters, roll a few dice and have a white board next to it where I would keep track of where in the game I am at.

This may be a bit too much for such a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey more power to you, but if you're doing it just for space I would stick with the trays. But if it's just for the commander feeling, by all means and I expect pictures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btrhoads
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This could be an interesting idea. I think the trick is finding a way to use the game pieces given rather than re-creating magnetic versions of each token for instance (I mention this because it was the first thing I thought and then dismissed because of the realization of how much work it would be).

If you had a magnetic white board, you could attach paper versions of the tactical map and regional charts to the white board with magnets. The cards could be put in card sleeves or binder pages and attached to the white board with magnets. You may have to create some kind of magenetic holder for the aircraft counters. I could also imagine some very cheap magnetic trays made from small dollar store containers with rare earth magnets attached for holding the weapons counters for each aircraft OR you could develop a paper tracking sheet for each aircraft to track which weapons are loaded for each aircraft and then indicate the number of each weapon on the aircraft using small magnets.

Whatever you decide to do, I too would like to see pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Fout

Rhode Island
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had trollworks make up a terrific wooden target board and separate battle board for me. This allows you to pick-up an in-progress game and put it up high and safely away with no aircraft card movement. Also makes table bumps irrelevant. He set it up with ordnance slots at my request as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btrhoads
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pictures?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of magnets try combination of binder clip and pin board.

You can insert pilot/aircraft card to sleeve together with pilot and stress tokens, use bind clip at the top, and hang it on push-pin pinned on some cork-board. Hang all your pilots side by side and you can always have full view of your squadron in a moment!

The same you could do with improvements for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

First thought: VASSAL.

Second thought: when you have a lot of pieces and you try to get artsy-craftsy with the game, it's often more trouble than it's worth. There are a lot of counters and they're moving *constantly*, unlike some other wargames that have been done magnetically or what have you.

Third thought: I've been pondering for a while some way to have a board for HL:CAO that would slide under my desk surface or somewhere else. That way it's set up, but not occupying real estate. Geek Chic does tables with lift-off tops, so your empty dining room table actually has substantial miniatures action going on under the surface.

There are these map file cabinets that have multiple drawers that are very long and wide but only an inch or two high. That's my dream furniture for HL:CAO and TAL in progress, with some PBEM games, too. Open the drawer, there's your game. Close the drawer, it's safe and out of the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Fout

Rhode Island
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I had to ask for help from my daughter's boyfriend to get these posted.
Let me know it worked!
Jeffrey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btrhoads
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DDDDLux!

Nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.