Hide
2 Posts

Level 7 [Omega Protocol]» Forums » Variants

Subject: Timing Version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Owen
msg tools
I played this last night with my crew, and I was getting slightly frustrated with how long it was taking to play the game. I enacted (through executive order) a house timing ruleset. All parties involved loved the mechanic change and said it "made it feel much more like a combat-situation" than the standard game.

First,during Commando phase, the PCs get one minute to decide turn order and stances through talking to one another. If no cards have been selected at the end of this minute, the commandos either a) go in clockwise order or b) use the stance that they used last round.

Second, during their individual turns, they get 2 minutes to move, roll, etc. Clock only stops for rule considerations, room resolutions, and interrupts from Overlord.

The players were much more engaged (off their phones during the turns where they weren't going) and it kept the game moving much faster. One downside is that players can get argumentative with each other, so it's important to manage emotions during the game.

All in all, super fun and an easy change that only requires a stopwatch capability on your smart phone or (if you are a dinosaur like me) a watch.

Recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Coeur D'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played this of the first time over last weekend and had the same problem with the players (I was part of the problem)

What if the players were given a time limit of some sort and every 10 seconds over that time limit the Overseer gets an adrenaline (or threat)? The game is balanced in favor of the players anyways, so there would be no problems in over powering the Overseer. It would motivate the players to think quickly while not directly punishing them for taking to long, they just have to weigh the risks.

The overseer doesn't need to babysit the players in this scenario either. The players can take as long as they want!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.