Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Arts Cow And Printers Studio rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards from my Blue Moon City game are getting roughed up. I am not a computer literate person when it comes to certain things. Specifically, how do I do it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What exactly are you trying to do? Print another set of cards? That is not possible. The cards are copyrighted and likely a legal grey area.

You can get sleeves, be gentler, or just eventually buy another set.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
What exactly are you trying to do? Print another set of cards? That is not possible. The cards are copyrighted and likely a legal grey area.
IANAL but if you've purchased a copy and you are making a copy for personal use, which will not be shared or sold, I believe that is in fact legal. Making copies of music for personal use is explicitly spelled out to be legal, for example.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Horror Leader wrote:
What exactly are you trying to do? Print another set of cards? That is not possible. The cards are copyrighted and likely a legal grey area.
IANAL but if you've purchased a copy and you are making a copy for personal use, which will not be shared or sold, I believe that is in fact legal. Making copies of music for personal use is explicitly spelled out to be legal, for example.


IANAL, either, but I believe that while the _end_ _user_ might be able to claim "fair use" (i.e. making a limited amount copies for his/her own personal use), the problem is that the service provider (i.e. the print shop) is not at liberty to copy the work for hire, unless they receive license from the copyright holder.

EDIT to add: I believe that's why many print/copy services like Kinko's or Office Max will refuse to handle such work. That is also apparently why online printing companies, if they accept copyrighted materials for upload, will usually restrict such uploads from appearing in their general search. (i.e. they skirt the issue by ensuring that the copy will not be shared or sold, as you allude to. Whether they are in fact legally in the clear even then, is another question.)

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is out of print, so tell me, how do I get a new set.I am not going to buy a inflated set from someone trying to exploit me. I see this thing done all the time. Someone did a copy of Witch's Brew.If there is a a reprint I will gladly buy it but if not I do not feel guilty about making my own
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Horror Leader wrote:
What exactly are you trying to do? Print another set of cards? That is not possible. The cards are copyrighted and likely a legal grey area.
IANAL but if you've purchased a copy and you are making a copy for personal use, which will not be shared or sold, I believe that is in fact legal. Making copies of music for personal use is explicitly spelled out to be legal, for example.
Exactly
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay first you need to find the original card images if that is possible. You need a high resolution image, depending on which service you use. Typically this 750 x 1050 pixels or higher.

You can also scan your own set of cards, touch them up with some imaging software like gimp or illustrator (like if a border has peeled a bit) and add a bleed (the border around the card so information doesn't get trimmed off with in imprecise cut).

Depending on the quality of the scan, you'll end up with cards that are close, but they will never be as clear, sharp, and in good color tone as the original set. (this is mostly due to the printing process used by each respective printer.

Each card is its own image. So for a game with 80 cards, you will have 80 images. Following the instructions on the site, you will upload all 80 of the images and it will automatically place each on on a card.

You do the same process for the card backs, making sure the match the right backs to the right cards.

Once they are all uploaded, you can preview them to make sure everything looks acceptable.

Then order them!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak as to the legality of making these copies (I assume it's fine if just for personal use to replace your deck), but PrinterStudio is really easy to use and super nice quality.

PrinterStudio has templates you can download, and you just scale your cards to that template, and upload them when you get into their program for making a custom deck. Some Photoshop skills are definitely helpful!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
I can't speak as to the legality of making these copies (I assume it's fine if just for personal use to replace your deck), but PrinterStudio is really easy to use and super nice quality.

PrinterStudio has templates you can download, and you just scale your cards to that template, and upload them when you get into their program for making a custom deck. Some Photoshop skills are definitely helpful!
Thanks. I am just doing it for me. I am not a sleeve guy for the most part
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall McKenzie
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used printerstudio to make two custom playing card decks and it specifically asks you to confirm you own the copyright on any images you submit. This is because you give them a license to use your images to fulfil the order as part of the terms and conditions. If that license isn't yours to give away in the first place, it's a no can do. I am not a lawyer either, but it's a pretty cut-and-dry situation.

Theoretically, what you could do (bearing in mind I'm not a lawyer) is redesign the cards with your own art and text and get those printed instead, which would, if I understand correctly, be okay because only art and exact text is copyrighted in a board game, not the function or actual rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
.........
badge
...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogmantra wrote:
I've used printerstudio to make two custom playing card decks and it specifically asks you to confirm you own the copyright on any images you submit. This is because you give them a license to use your images to fulfil the order as part of the terms and conditions. If that license isn't yours to give away in the first place, it's a no can do. I am not a lawyer either, but it's a pretty cut-and-dry situation.

Theoretically, what you could do (bearing in mind I'm not a lawyer) is redesign the cards with your own art and text and get those printed instead, which would, if I understand correctly, be okay because only art and exact text is copyrighted in a board game, not the function or actual rules.


Interesting discussion here. What really caught me was in the latest update on the Yardmaster Express Kickstarter - the publisher had this in the notes about the PnP that was made available.


"Please keep in mind that I these files are for you only and they are not to be uploaded to any print on demand service as that would be a copyright violation of my intellectual property."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.