MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I'm starting to renew my interest in Western skirmish games (thanks to the wonderful posts of)
Ray Gaer
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

after a quiet period preoccupied w/ other games & RL, I decided to take the plunge & download Precis Intermedia's "Disposable Heroes" Western Statix set 1 & 2 line of Paper Miniatures to add some extra/new faces to my games.

For a small price, you get a bunch of different figures & poses, both color AND B&W so that you can color & customize your own. They come in singles OR whole armies of the same figure, AND they come in A-Frame, Tri-Fold or Counter Style. All for the modest sum of $3.95 per set as of the time of this post from DriveThruRPG:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/51513/Disposable-Heroe...

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/57080/Disposable-Heroe...

There are even Wild Animal sets, Farm Animals, Civil War Soldiers as well if one wanted to expand their games out a bit.

So with both sets I now have the following characters:

Quote:
Western Set 1

0282 Bandito
0283 Buffalo Hunter
0284 Cowboy
0285 Cowgirl
0286 Gambler
0287 Gunslinger
0288 Marshall
0289 Sheriff
0290 Outlaw
0291 Rough Rider
0292 Woodsman
0293 Trail Boss
0294 Businessman
0295 Clerk
0296 Homesteader
0297 Homesteader's Wife
0298 Drifter
0299 Drunk
0300 Proper Lady
0301 Saloon Girl
0302 Widow
0303 Nosy Kid (male)
0304 Nosy Kid (female)
0305 Mexican Boy
0306 Mexican Woman
0307 Soldier
0308 Officer
0309 Indian Brave
0310 Indian Chief
0311 Indian Woman

Quote:
Western Customizable 2

0703 Gunslinger 1 (male)
0704 Gunslinger 2 (male)
0705 Gunslinger 3 (male)
0706 Gunslinger 4 (male)
0707 Gunslinger 5 (male)
0708 Gunslinger 6 (female)
0709 Gunslinger 7 (female)
0710 Gunslinger 8 (indian)
0711 Sheriff
0712 Deputy 1
0713 Deputy 2
0714 Cavalry Officer
0715 Cavalry Soldier 1
0716 Cavalry Soldier 2
0717 Indian Warrior 1
0718 Indian Warrior 2
0719 Town Thug
0720 Cattle Hand
0721 Gambler 1
0722 Gambler 2
0723 Chinaman 1
0724 Chinaman 2
0725 Merchant
0726 Preacher
0727 Businessman
0728 Waitress
0729 Town Drunk
0730 Prostitute
0731 Average Resident (male)
0732 Average Resident (female)

Here's a couple of thumbnails so you can get some idea what they look like:

That was the biggest selling point for me was how nice they looked, & that there are female characters, which will give my daughters options, & help me coax them into gunning Pa down in the dusty street.

Really wanted to share these as I thought they looked really nice, & are an easy way to add more variety to games like "Cowboys".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those really cool. How do you adjust the scale, enlarge or shrink them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
Those really cool. How do you adjust the scale, enlarge or shrink them?

I had just come back to address that! One thing I forgot that is very important to mention is that they DO print out a bit smaller than the "Cowboys" standees. The "main figure" part of the standee is about 1" to Cowboys 1.5". So you do need to put them in GIMP or other photo editor of choice & enlarge a bit if you want them to be the same size as the Cowboys standies.

The fig's will still be slightly different scales, as Cowboys cuts the portraits off at the knee, whereas these are full body, but I'm ok w/ that, as I'd rather the size of the standies be uniform, but YMMV.

So if you don't feel like futzing about with such things & aren't ok w/ the difference in size, take the above into consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten quite a bit of stuff from Drivethru over the years.

These are really cool enhancements for this game. Thanks for sharing the information, Moon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Gaer
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy,

Thank for the mention but I'm just that latest to hold the torch for this great game. Those are some great new graphics and I can't wait till there are some rules for all those different characters and animals. I don't know about you but I'll be adding these to the menu as I wrangle up some new rules to get as many on the table as possible. I was thinking about a campaign mode for Cowboys so I can get more attached to my figure as he guns down bad guys or becomes a bad guy hehe. Thanks MOON for the new ideas and characters!

See you in the saloon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mont Van wrote:
I've gotten quite a bit of stuff from Drivethru over the years.

These are really cool enhancements for this game. Thanks for sharing the information, Moon!

My pleasure. I figured you fellers would appreciate these.

Raygun1966 wrote:
Howdy,

Thank for the mention but I'm just that latest to hold the torch for this great game. Those are some great new graphics and I can't wait till there are some rules for all those different characters and animals. I don't know about you but I'll be adding these to the menu as I wrangle up some new rules to get as many on the table as possible. I was thinking about a campaign mode for Cowboys so I can get more attached to my figure as he guns down bad guys or becomes a bad guy hehe. Thanks MOON for the new ideas and characters!

See you in the saloon!

One easy way to get some of them in play is all the townies included. Why rely on generic Townsfolk tokens when you can add a Merchant or the Town Drunk.

As for a Campaign mode, it's a great idea. Outlaws: Adventures in the Old West does it & so does The Rules With No Name & I always wanted to add come kind to "Cowboys".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some more central casting suggestions. This Deadlands set, while it does contain some "weird west" figures, is mostly made up of very usable Cowboys, Soldiers, Native Americans, & Townfolk, with lots of gender diversity for the female characters.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/1145/Deadlands-Figures-C...

There are also a lot of good ones for FREE right here:

http://www.seven-wonders.co.uk/index.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.