Popular Tags: [View All]
Megan Wegert
Canada
Unspecified
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick question to the BGG community. We are playing the Wyrm Turns scenario which requires the OL to move an item off board. The question that is causing a fair amount of debate is this:

Can a flying unit exit the map without occupying an edge space?

In other words if heroes are in both edge spaces could a flying unit move through them and leave the board?

According to the rules a unit must "move" to one of the edge spaces and then spend another movement point to exit. This is pretty imprecise wording as far as we can tell.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think so. Thematically it wouldn't make any sense otherwise.
-ryanjamal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Wegert
Canada
Unspecified
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree entirely. Apparently though the other players don't agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perpigillium wrote:
I agree entirely. Apparently though the other players don't agree.

Tell them to roll more damage and it wouldn't be an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
Kempten
Allgäu
flag msg tools
Guild Allgäu: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/2079
badge
Moo!
mbmbmbmbmb
perpigillium wrote:
In other words if heroes are in both edge spaces could a flying unit move through them and leave the board?

Of course. Flying is an ability, not a flaw.

perpigillium wrote:
According to the rules a unit must "move" to one of the edge spaces and then spend another movement point to exit.

Don´t you move when you are flying? When your wyrm moves to the edge hexes (by flying) he can spend another movement point to go in any direction. The only restriction for flying units is not to stop in an occupied space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Lili Marleen wrote:
[...]
Don´t you move when you are flying? When your wyrm moves to the edge hexes (by flying) he can spend another movement point to go in any direction. The only restriction for flying units is not to stop in an occupied space.

Exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You aren't interrupting to declare any additional action or ability to move off the map. You are just spending one of your movement points, as you do in a normal movement. I don't see any reason why a Flying monster couldn't exit the map while it is blocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Lili Marleen wrote:

For the record I completely agree with you (and most others here) that flying off the map is a perfectly valid option.

To play devil's advocate for a moment, though, I believe the counter argument is that "spending 1 MP to move off the map" is a special quest rule. You aren't normally allowed to move off the map.

Therefore when the quest rules say "move to an edge space and then spend 1 MP to move off the map" they actually mean you have to stop your movement in an edge space and then spend 1 MP to execute the special quest rule and leave the map. This would require the edge space to be unoccupied because not even flying creatures can stop in an occupied space.

Again, I agree personally that flying off the map is fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
Lili Marleen wrote:

For the record I completely agree with you (and most others here) that flying off the map is a perfectly valid option.

To play devil's advocate for a moment, though, I believe the counter argument is that "spending 1 MP to move off the map" is a special quest rule. You aren't normally allowed to move off the map.

Therefore when the quest rules say "move to an edge space and then spend 1 MP to move off the map" they actually mean you have to stop your movement in an edge space and then spend 1 MP to execute the special quest rule and leave the map. This would require the edge space to be unoccupied because not even flying creatures can stop in an occupied space.

Again, I agree personally that flying off the map is fine.

If Stopping before moving off was required then it would have been stated.

All the instruction is saying, probably to make clear to gamers not familiar with these types of games, is that once you have reached an edge space you are not off the map but need to have at least 1 MP left to exit the map. To me this is just a case of FFG trying their best to clarify for inexperienced gamers and confusing experienced gamers who think there must be another meaning - it probably made complete sense to them at the time when playing and writing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.