Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge fan of the X-Wing game and a big time fan of Star Trek as well, so naturally I'm curious about getting into the game.

My preference is for TOS stuff above all with love for TNG and DS9 a second and third.

What stuff should I go for initially apart from the starter set?

Are the OP events worth playing in? If so, how much would one have to invest to be moderately competitive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings Nick,

To answer what you should of for after the starter, the answer depends on what you want to do. For fun games, buy what interests you. Things like the TOS Enterprise, and the refit, the D7, Kronos One, the Gal Ga'thong are all fun ships in the TOS era. They're also relatively balanced against each other, so you'd have a good time there.

The OP events are very much worth playing in even if you aren't super competitive. You get participation prizes just for playing, and you'll likely learn a lot of tips and tricks for flying and squad building.

If you want to be competitive, some of it will depend on your store's rules. There are a few different ways squad building can work (anything goes, fleet pure, ship pure, etc.) One thing you can do is build a few fleets (http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html) and then write down the expansions those ships come in. That gives you a sense for what you'd be looking to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My preference is for TOS stuff above all with love for TNG and DS9 a second and third. What stuff should I go for initially apart from the starter set?

From your personal preferences, there are sadly only a few ToS ships. Enterprise and Enterprise (Refit) are good picks for the federation, but the Klingons and Romulans are kind of lacking (unless you can get ahold of the new OP buy-in only ships).

For fun playing purposes, the starter and a Koranak is all you need to have a good variety of ships and playing styles and a base to start with for competitive play.

Quote:
Are the OP events worth playing in? If so, how much would one have to invest to be moderately competitive?

Very much so, especially now that buy-ins not only net you a participation prize but also a limited edition ship as well.

If you want to be moderately competitive for the cheapest, you play the Borg. 1 Sphere and 1 Cube are technically all you need to have a pretty killer squad combined with the starter.

If you want to try without being the borg, you'll probably need and 3 or 4 of the folowing: Koranak (upto 3), Voyager, Enterprise, Gr'Roth, Negh'var, Gor Portas, Soong. Each of these has some very strong cards that give you counter options to things you'll see alot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.