Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

This is an officially licensed Nascar racing game. This means you are likely to get all the racers you know and love, but a slapped on game that is there to make someone money off the license. This is exactly what you get.

This is not a quick and easy race car game. For that, I would recommend Thunder Alley. This rule book is 20 pages long, but that includes a lot of fluff. While not the most complicated game in the world, it does have quite a few rules.

I've heard of versions with some great components. My version is not the case. My components were laughable for an actual game. The rule book uses small font and a lot of white on the pages to lead to a boring experience.

As for the game itself, it includes a lot of luck but isn't really that bad. There are much better racing games on the market that are far better stream lined. This is a game you could skip unless you are a Nascar fan. Nascar fans may like this game.

Let me state this is not a horrible game really. It does a good job of representing the sport but keeping it very simple. It doesn't play like a lot of racing games as it is trying to be the sport of Nascar. It plays up to 10 so that is a plus.

Purge.

Components:

The components are laughable. The cars are just flat paper with different actual Nascar art work. The chits that represent pits are nice. The track is paper, but it is really vinyl. Everything is good enough for a mass market game, but when compared to our designer games it falls really, really flat.

Rule Book:

The rule book is printed in black and white and is your normal mass market rule book. At 20 pages, the book is long. It does include a full table of contents which is appreciated.

You get two sets of rules: 1. Rookie Rules 2. Legendary. Really, it is basic and advanced. I would only play rookie with children and just jump right into the advanced with adults.

There are quite a few rules, but they are used to simulate a real Nascar race. If you are a fan of the sport, most of the rules will make a lot of sense and click with you a lot faster.

Flow of the Game:

Rookie Game:

To qualify, you just spin the spinner. Better time "wins".

The qualifying time sets the pole position. Then, you roll the dice to move. If a C is rolled, you draw a chance card. 5 laps wins the game.

Each player is required to make a pit stop during the race. To leave the pit, you spin the spinner move out of the pit

This version is created to be very easy and it is.

Advanced:

1. Qualify: Spin the spinner for your time. This will set up the pole position.

2. Pits: Each player gets a pit crew. The pit stall is established with the qualifying score (remember this is a spin on a spinner).

3. Start the race: Roll the dice and move that number of spots. A roll of C allows you to draw a chance card. On the 2nd rotation, the drafting rules will be applied.

Various rules:

A. Change lanes: you can change lanes with movement points
B. Drafting: If you are bumper to bumper with another car, you get one additional space on your next roll
C. Drafting Daytona Style: This is a rule to simulate the use of restrictor plates. If bumper to bumper, you get two additional spaces.
D. Pits: When you stop for a pit, you spin the spinner to show much time it took. Spin well my friends!

This is the majority of the rules. There are a few rules that I have left out. The main mechanic of the game is rolling the dice to move or spinning the spinner when required. Drafting is very important to move extra spaces.

Should I buy this game?:

Yes, but only if you want a simple race game for kids and/or you are a huge fan of Nascar. This is a roll and move with a spinner thrown in for more fun (yea!). There isn't a ton of strategy in this game.

Purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:

As for the game itself, it includes a lot of luck but isn't really that bad.
I think this is a rather large UNDERSTATEMENT. I see nothing but dice rolling and spinner wheel spinning. Where's the strategy?

This game looks like all luck and that really IS bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.

The rulebook is verbose but really all you do is roll dice and move your car 7, 8 or 9 spaces forward.

I don't understand the comment that Thunder Alley is a "quick and easy" game compared with Daytona Challenge. There is literally nothing "easier" than rolling a dice and moving your car the shown amount of spaces, which is what this game amounts to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DocD wrote:
william4192 wrote:

As for the game itself, it includes a lot of luck but isn't really that bad.
I think this is a rather large UNDERSTATEMENT. I see nothing but dice rolling and spinner wheel spinning. Where's the strategy?

This game looks like all luck and that really IS bad.

Yes, the movement is bad. I agree. This is likely for kids though. It does try to simulate a real race (pits, drafting, etc). I was trying to see this as a kids game, not for gamers without kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
3wgames wrote:
I agree.

The rulebook is verbose but really all you do is roll dice and move your car 7, 8 or 9 spaces forward.

I don't understand the comment that Thunder Alley is a "quick and easy" game compared with Daytona Challenge. There is literally nothing "easier" than rolling a dice and moving your car the shown amount of spaces, which is what this game amounts to.

In my mind, Thunder Alleys makes sense. The actions make sense.

In this game, I found the rule book harder to get through. I also saw this more for kids. So while the movement is easy to follow, the actual rules for pit stops and drafting I think would be harder for the intended audience.

I realize now I wasn't clear about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.