Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From Curt Covert:

Quote:
Okay, from the card itself:

Double Strike
Tactical Maneuver – Stand In –
‘Set’ as a standard attack. When revealed, draw a card and then immediately replace this card with 2 Attack Cards from your hand. Treat each as a separate attack.

Double Strike is 'set'. To Edge Out this attack, you must Edge Out before Double Strike is revealed. Why? Because it is a 'Stand In' which is only a place holder for the two secret attacks which 'replace' it. So you can Trip and Crit Miss them as normal, but Edge Out has no set card to target.

Hope that clears it up.
-C

"To Edge Out this attack..." still is unclear to me because he says, "you must Edge Out before the card is revealed. Edge Out must be revealed before any set card is revealed as stated on the card but this statement implies that edge out can be revealed after the set card is shown. "To Edge Out this attack" also adds to the confusion because it implies that Edge Out works against the Double Strike. In another thread it was stated that the Edge Out cannot affect Double Strike because it's two subsequent attack cards are not 'set', effectively having the Edge Out card wasted i.e. no effect.

Hope this made sense.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't see what is the doubt from what you quote...

From the quote it says:

Player A has a card set to play... he plays it and it's a double strike...

From the moment he plays it if another player plays the Edge Out card it has no effect...

The Edge Out card had to be played prior to the reveling of the Player A card... it wasn't so now Player A will play draw 1 card and replace the Double Strike with 2 other cards he selects...

Since these 2 cards are replacing Double Strike you treat them has they are already revealed, you resolve each one individually and other players can counter attack the 1st card and then the 2nd card with cards like Critical Miss, Trip, etc... they just can't use Edge Out because it would have to be used to prevent the Double Strike from being revealed... after it was revealed no more Edge Out can be played, even on the 2 new cards he will attack with.

Hope I was able to help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Money
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I understand how this works.

So Edge Out played AFTER a set standard attack card (say 20 Attack) is revealed can be used to prevent that attack from happening (Double Strike being an exception here). Is this correct?

I guess my confusion stems from the text on the Edge Out card - "Play before revealing a set attack card..." - which to me implies the only time Edge Out is played for effect is before you reveal a set attack card, never after.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No...

Edge Out can only be played Before the set attack card is revealed

When a set attack card is revealed, no matter what card it is Edge Out has no effect on that, you can play it, but it will not affect the attackers card, so there's no reason to play it...

It's like this:

All players have chosen their attack cards...

they are all in front of them face-down

now in player initiative order, the player 1 can reveal is set attack card...

All other players can now play Edge Out to prevent Player 1 from revealing the attack card he was going to reveal...

If they don't play Edge Out, then Player 1 reveals is card and at this point there's no reason to play Edge Out anymore because it won't have any effect because the set attack card as already been revealed...

They can play other action cards like Critical Miss, Trip, etc to make Player 1 attack miss, reduce damage, increase damage, etc...

Edge Out only makes an effect if played BEFORE the set attack card is revealed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.