Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Unnoficial Military History Bookshelf August 2014 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Callaghan
Other-South Pacific
no fixed abode...
msg tools
As the original series of threads is about to end and I have no wish to lose what has been an amazing source of reading suggestions, I will do my best to keep it going.

I am currently reading 'Clear the Bridge! The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang' by Richard O'Kane. This book combines a good amount of technical detail with a surprisingly well written and fast paced narrative.

Another equally well written book that I reread recently was 'In Harm's Way: A RNVR Officer at War, 1940-1944' by Geoffrey Hobday.

My copy, which also sports the 'NZ author' sticker seen in the image above, recounts the authors experiences as the captain of a MGB in a variety of theatres. With the possible exception of John Holm's No Place to linger, this is probably the best nautical memoir written by a New Zealander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The price of the Kindle edition of Lords of the Sea: How Athenian Trireme Battles Changed History dropped to 0.99€/1.34$ some days ago (from 3.90€, I don't know the original price in US$).

It was recommended here on the geek, I guess in the context of Song of Wrath: The Peloponnesian War Begins, but I still have to start reading it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
but none read in August 2014, yet.

It might be an idea to double the number of Bookshelf threads, say 'early August' and 'late August'. It wouldn't matter if you posted in the wrong one, but the readership of later posts might thereby increase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Includes history of military games. Perhaps not so much military history, except for indirectly, but still a fascinating book. I have over 500 pages remaining to read, it will definitely last well into August.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Better yet : I suggest we keep both Bookshelves : The 'official' and the 'unofficial'.

We could even have an 'Off-Bookshelf'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.