Gregg Lewis
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like I'm chasing my tail thinking about this game. Why (and how could) hasbro license and sale another hero minis game when Clix is already out there...

...but maybe that's the point. Heroclix is still a huge property, but how much more of the 'casual' market is there to be found on the shelves of Target and Toysaurus - those os us that haunt hobby stores sometimes forget how big the mainstream can be.

...which also reminds me: how many of us spent WAAAAY too many dollars on duplicate, triplicate, etc... copies of 'scape just for the terrain...and you can't tell me there wont be a few of us that wont snatch up this set, just for the urban tiles/pieces and possibly for the figs...even if it is just to suppliment clix...maybe Hasbro knows that a large chunk of their sales went to wargamers that just wanted the hexes, so why not produce a set that fulfills one of clix's biggest wekanesses (the play mat)

just a thought

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
aquilaprime wrote:
Why (and how could) hasbro license and sale another hero minis game when Clix is already out there...

Clix is more 'gamery'.

My 7 year old would never want to put up with Clix, too many rules to remember, too many charts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it would never occur to me to even evaluate any clix games for purchase, but i'll probably get marvel heroscape.

a lot of people might not be into heroscape if not for the famed toysrus 2 for 1s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Lewis
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with both of you...I guess I could have put it simpler: ppl who liked heroscape will likely buy it, ppl who like clix (or other games) will buy it for the hexes and ppl (kids,moms) who had no idea about the original will buy it, because of the more familiar characters (shelf appeal).

now I'm up to 4¢

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There's very little conflict between Heroscape and Heroclix, and it's not like you have to choose one or the other. Is there something wrong with Marvel using their characters in two successful miniatures games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape is aimed at a kiddie audience so it's small surprise that Marvel would want to tap into that. Heroclix would appear to be more profitable at first glance, but if Hasbro can connect them with a broader customer base, they could do very well there too. Also, Heroclix is just about tapped out... unless you WANT to collect a thousand different poses for Spiderman. Marvel's past failures have been with chasing $$$ and being heedless of quality (be it games, movies, alternate covers, or whatever). At least with Heroscape they have a proven product to work from. Same thing with Heroclix. I confess that I'm surprised that VS did as well as it did since their past CCG licenses have been such utter wastes of paper. And Upper Deck makes it even!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will (JR) Todd
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Superheroes are the darling of the movie studios and the corporate world right now. They're the "in" thing at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hidalgo wrote:
Superheroes are the darling of the movie studios and the corporate world right now. They're the "in" thing at the moment.

Yeah, it's amazing that they can make money with a QUALITY movie instead of treating superhero movies as something simply made-for-TV. Too bad that Hollywood is going to beat it to death now and try to capitalize on crummy superhero movies too since they think they can still turn some profit (Elektra? BLECH!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.