Bill Sheppard

Alaska
msg tools
cool I love me some goblins, what can I say? cool
--------=========---------------
MOGMURK the PYRO-TRICKSTER! I imagine his second power is him setting an explosive trap. If you succeed, he gains the combat advantage, but if you fail, kablooey!

KRESSIN the CHIEFTAN! He commands the goblin group hence the combat bonuses he gets!

EKKIE the FIGHTER! A real team player, he gets bonuses for any Goblin character in play!

KEZZEL the MAGICIAN! He likes to use his magical abilities to explore as much as he can while taking out any enemy!

GURVAL the SAPPER! Perhaps my favorite creation, he is pro at charging through Barriers! He can even help the team out if they encounter a difficult challenge!

---------------==============----------

I will probably add more so stay tuned!

Next project will be HEROES OF WATERDEEP character set. I apologize for any typos you spot in the cards heehee.

(All art belongs to their respective creator.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are really nice, thanks for sharing. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup be careful with the artwork. Paizo has some rules about what's allowed and not allowed under their community use agreement which is mentioned on your cards:

http://paizo.com/paizo/about/communityuse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
The guy holding the bomb looks more like a sapper than the sapper.

Also, 8 spells on two different characters? Not much distinction other than powers. I do like the chieftain though, even with maybe less spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Beck
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well-done! A couple suggestions on wording and power balance:

-You've probably got a few too many d4's floating around here... any given character shouldn't have more than 1 d4 for a skill. Make the others d6's, unless you feel you have a REALLY good reason not to.

-Ekkie's power should be written as follows: "Once per combat, if you fail a combat check, you may recharge a card to attempt the check again, ignoring the first result."

-I love Kezzell! I'd suggest dropping the +1 to Strength, though... with a d4, no one will ever waste a skill feat to make it d4+1. Perhaps instead, you could give him a power on one of his role cards that increases his base Strength to a d10 or something like that if you're willing to sacrifice a spell.

-"Successfully complete an encounter with a Barrier" is strange wording. I think I know what you're trying to say here, but I would probably stick with: "If you succeed at a check to defeat a Barrier, you may immediately explore again; if the Barrier would allow you to explore again anyway, you may add a Blessing from your discard pile to your hand." (This might seem weird when you don't get to start with any Blessings in the deck, but it encourages you to both take a Blessing card slot and also to acquire blessings during exploration, and once you've done so you're still getting an extra exploration out of that Barrier.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Bull

Idaho
msg tools
Hmmm, I am already envisioning an entire party of goblins and the havoc and insanity that would arise.... Squee! =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Beighley, Jr.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, love the concept and I think some of your ideas were pretty well thought out, but there are a few things:

1. Your skill totals are low - if that is part of the design and with the idea of having a rough go of it in places, that's cool, but these characters are pretty well out of line with the characters made available by Paizo. In Rise of the Runelords, off the top of my head, every character has dice that add up to 40 or 42, yours range from 34 to 38 depending on character... you probably could add some upgrades to skills in the form of d4's to d6's.

2. Your available card feats are low. All characters in RotR have 10 card feats to choose from, and the whole adventure path gives 8. Some of your characters have as few as 7, so you have room to give a few more out there.

3. Your available power feats are off. You have a character with as many as 8 power feats to choose from and as few as 2. Before choosing a role card, all characters have 4 power feats to choose from. Just a thought as you could reduce some or increase them all if you are choosing to not design role cards for these characters.

That all being said, I do think its a really cool concept and worth fleshing out a bit more, especially since you so clearly put an effort into making the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Berlin

New York
msg tools
badge
Yes, we are friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
Yup be careful with the artwork. Paizo has some rules about what's allowed and not allowed under their community use agreement which is mentioned on your cards:

http://paizo.com/paizo/about/communityuse

Yup, you're allowed to use Paizo artwork that's been posted on their blog or web fiction site, or provided in the free community use packages. You can't use whatever Paizo art you want or stuff you take off deviantart or D&D monster manuals etc., or else they'll ask you to take it down. Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the problem of cropping images which isn't allowed under the policy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Berlin

New York
msg tools
badge
Yes, we are friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
There's also the problem of cropping images which isn't allowed under the policy.

I believe you can crop images that they allow you to use, for example, you could crop a closeup of an iconic of Valeros or one of many web fiction portraits. You just can't alter any of the official Paizo assets, such as game title images, icons, covers, or anything that identifies them, nor can you reproduce their cards or the works on them ("proxies"), nor create original works that appear too close to their protected works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely not. That is a completely wrong interpretation. While I agree with you in principle that Paizo's IP isn't being hurt, you need an exemption from Vic Wertz via a post in Paizo's General Discussion forum (you can get an account and ask your question - Vic's a pretty reasonable guy):

From the policy it clearly states:

"Product covers may not be cropped, color adjusted, edited, distorted, or modified."

Under Frequently Asked Questions it says:

You say that I "may not alter the color, typography, design, or proportions of the logos or icons, or otherwise modify them." Can I resize them?

Yes, you can resize them, so long as you resize them proportionally—that is, you don't squish them by scaling them more in one direction than in another. This also applies to product covers and other images.

The "other images" & "otherwise modify them" language clearly cancels out your interpretation of the rules. It's the same reason the PACG standees guy can't get rid of the green fluff surrounding Ranzak in the blog post because the image must be used "as-is".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some more examples from Paizo's forums. This one supports the interpretation of what modifying images means (eg - no cropping because it's a similar problem). It's important to note this discussion is about a blog image:

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2qcwn?Community-Use-and-incorpor...

And here's my own personal case where I asked Vic for a reasonable deviation from the standard policy.

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2rezk?Community-Use-Question-reg...

The moral of the story is: if you ask nicely before posting your document, and your request is reasonable, Paizo might say yes, allowing you to still be in compliance with the Community Use Policy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paizo is going to be concerned about other people wanting to edit their blog images, and the attendant overhead of having to approve each deviation. My suggestion would be to make a very specific request, for example - "Is it okay to crop a Paizo blog image to maintain a consistent look with the rest of the Pathfinder Adventure Card game when using Paizo's supplied blank card templates to make new cards?"

I can't guarantee the answer will be yes - in fact, I suspect the answer will be no - but narrowing the scope limits the exposure for Paizo by providing a very clear definition of what's allowed (and by extension, what's not allowed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Berlin

New York
msg tools
badge
Yes, we are friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
Absolutely not. That is a completely wrong interpretation. While I agree with you in principle that Paizo's IP isn't being hurt, you need an exemption from Vic Wertz via a post in Paizo's General Discussion forum (you can get an account and ask your question - Vic's a pretty reasonable guy):

From the policy it clearly states:

"Product covers may not be cropped, color adjusted, edited, distorted, or modified."

Under Frequently Asked Questions it says:

You say that I "may not alter the color, typography, design, or proportions of the logos or icons, or otherwise modify them." Can I resize them?

Yes, you can resize them, so long as you resize them proportionally—that is, you don't squish them by scaling them more in one direction than in another. This also applies to product covers and other images.

The "other images" & "otherwise modify them" language clearly cancels out your interpretation of the rules. It's the same reason the PACG standees guy can't get rid of the green fluff surrounding Ranzak in the blog post because the image must be used "as-is".

I will certainly bring this up with Vic when I'm done with my custom adventure.
I have to say, based on the actual community use policy, the language doesn't really make clear that one cannot crop ANY images (such as blog images), but makes very clear that you cannot alter corporate assets, such as "the color, typography, design, or proportions of the logos or icons." I understand the legal motives behind protecting brand identity and reputation and so forth, but not so much the motives behind protecting a picture of an ogre that was released into the community use policy in very clear language.

Definitely something I should have cleared up before I release the adventure. Thank you for the very cogent response. I read somewhere that the policy is going to go through an enormous change soon (from Vic), but don't know what that might entail. It seems counter-intuitive to say "you can use all of our blog art for your custom scenarios" and then say "please don't resize it or crop it." It's like... whuh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I know it's really tricky, and I appreciate you taking the time to check with Paizo; you might discover something new that the rest of us can use. Mostly, I'm just afraid of Paizo changing the policy to something more restrictive because I use their artwork for the PACG Adventure Guides.

I actually had to read the FAQ and look at forum posts to learn all the ins-and-outs of the policy, otherwise I might have reached the same conclusions about the policy that you did. I can confirm that resizing an image or changing its orientation (eg - a 90 degree twist from landscape to portrait) is permitted, provided the original aspect ratio of the image is maintained. Using transparencies on an image is okay too (the white part surrounding the image doesn't count as part of the artwork), but you have to be careful that the artwork isn't erased (wisps of smoke, sparkles, etc). If I had to summarize, these are all basic rules to make the artwork useful to third parties - the artwork wouldn't be helpful if you couldn't resize it because it covers up your entire page of text.

I've seen several instances where image modification was brought up - but nothing specifically addressing cropping - and Vic has consistently said alteration of the image isn't allowed. He never contradicted statements from the posters who asserted the Community Use Policy means no modifications are allowed to any of Paizo's artwork. In practice, I take this to mean you have to use the artwork as-is.

The Goblins cards on this thread are a great example of how cropping is on the borderline of the acceptable use cases, and why there should be specific mention of it in the Community Use Guidelines. Lolsheeps clearly displays all of the artwork in one location on his cards, and the instances where he crops is to maintain a consistent appearance with the rest of the PACG game; an inconsistent appearance, in my opinion, is worse for Paizo's assets than allowing the crop. That's why I encouraged asking for an exemption. Given Paizo's love of all things goblin, and the reasonableness of the request, I think there's a chance they would allow it for this specific instance.

The slippery slope of permitting cropping as a general policy, of course, is when does it stop being a crop and become an alteration? Could someone edit out the card part of a PACG demo card to use just the art piece? The game text and colored border clearly aren't part of the credited artist's work. Could someone just use the head and shoulders of an illustration to create a head shot, keeping the presentation of their document consistent with the other head shots from the Paizo blog? If these things are allowed, isn't using a single figure from a larger illustration featuring multiple figures just like a crop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We finally have an answer for cropping (since I asked), so post away:

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2s0sn?Community-Use-Question-reg...

Note, that I confined my use case to a limited scenario, and remember the FAQ instructions, if you aren't sure, ask in the Paizo General forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Schuijers
Netherlands
Uden
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
jbiggs78 wrote:
First off, love the concept and I think some of your ideas were pretty well thought out, but there are a few things:

1. Your skill totals are low - if that is part of the design and with the idea of having a rough go of it in places, that's cool, but these characters are pretty well out of line with the characters made available by Paizo. In Rise of the Runelords, off the top of my head, every character has dice that add up to 40 or 42, yours range from 34 to 38 depending on character... you probably could add some upgrades to skills in the form of d4's to d6's.

2. Your available card feats are low. All characters in RotR have 10 card feats to choose from, and the whole adventure path gives 8. Some of your characters have as few as 7, so you have room to give a few more out there.

3. Your available power feats are off. You have a character with as many as 8 power feats to choose from and as few as 2. Before choosing a role card, all characters have 4 power feats to choose from. Just a thought as you could reduce some or increase them all if you are choosing to not design role cards for these characters.

That all being said, I do think its a really cool concept and worth fleshing out a bit more, especially since you so clearly put an effort into making the cards.

+1.

Fix these problems and you may have some neat characters. Now they are just imbalanced and unplayable. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.