Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the time when I finish a game I end up wondering - how good was my score? How would that compare to others? How does my score hold up against everyone else Is there something already like this available on BGG?m I think this would be interesting to see as it may also increase the number of games played, and would also allow us to find users that are of similar experience to play the game with.

I would love to have a field to place my scores when I log a game play to capture the statistics.

What does everyone think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you aware of the dangers foxes pose to you and
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't there a field to just put any text? Not all games have scores that are expressed as a single numeral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
eastwoodk wrote:
Most of the time when I finish a game I end up wondering - how good was my score? How would that compare to others? How does my score hold up against everyone else Is there something already like this available on BGG?m I think this would be interesting to see as it may also increase the number of games played, and would also allow us to find users that are of similar experience to play the game with.

I would love to have a field to place my scores when I log a game play to capture the statistics.

What does everyone think?

Do you mean, when recording a play on BGG? You can do that already. After clicking 'record a play', click 'More' and you can put in whatever details you like.

Though I don't think this will let you determine what an average score is for a given game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
For many games, "average score" is rather meaningless as an assessment of how well you play.

E.g.:

In many games, players finish with higher scores if the game lasts more rounds, which can depend on their group's playing style, or on random events in the game.

In many games, it's just as legitimate a strategy to lower the opponent's score as to raise your own. (After all, the goal of a score-based game is to win by having a better score than your opponents, NOT to finish the game with as high a personal score as you can; if I could finish with a win of 3 points versus 2 points, I'd rather do that than finish with a loss of 100 points versus 101 points.)

In many games, the points earned might be very chaotic/swingy, depending on who wins some big all-or-nothing battle, but that doesn't mean that the player who loses played horribly; they might have played very well indeed, but the winner was just slightly better, yet a huge score difference results from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you aware of the dangers foxes pose to you and
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
In many games, the learning curve might lead to an exponential increase in points rather than a linear one, making a non-logarithmic average meaningless.

In many games, points may be extremely scenario-specific, making an average meaningless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
For many games, "average score" is rather meaningless as an assessment of how well you play.

E.g.:

In many games, players finish with higher scores if the game lasts more rounds, which can depend on their group's playing style, or on random events in the game.

In many games, it's just as legitimate a strategy to lower the opponent's score as to raise your own. (After all, the goal of a score-based game is to win by having a better score than your opponents, NOT to finish the game with as high a personal score as you can; if I could finish with a win of 3 points versus 2 points, I'd rather do that than finish with a loss of 100 points versus 101 points.)

In many games, the points earned might be very chaotic/swingy, depending on who wins some big all-or-nothing battle, but that doesn't mean that the player who loses played horribly; they might have played very well indeed, but the winner was just slightly better, yet a huge score difference results from it.

That's absolutely true - and many games also may not have winning conditions that score points either (I can think of those as win/loss ratios). We could also say that win/loss statistics are pointless as well for those games where new players are at a disadvantage based on the people sitting at the table (e.g. Agricola) unless handicaps were taken into account (which I think can only be done based on score or win statistics).

In sports like golf there is "par" or generally what people would expect to get on a course. I look at gaming in a similar manner where it would be nice to know the general expectation of scoring in a game as a barometer on how well I've done. The elements on each day contribute to conditions that are better or less than ideal (like your swingy example) - perhaps it's the building combination that comes out in Glass Road for example. Does that mean that the score should be discounted - absolutely not. It's a factor in the long term averages of the game - this is why some courses are rated harder than others (like the weighting of games being harder/ more complex than others).

How many people have scored a perfect score on At the Gates of Loyang? What's the typical score for Glass Road at specific player counts? Ginkgopolis is one of my favorite games and each time I play (any player count) the score is wildly different because of the elements on how the game plays - so yes it may be true that some games cannot be measured in this manner effectively. For sure it's not perfect, but I still believe it would be interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eastwoodk wrote:
In sports like golf there is "par" or generally what people would expect to get on a course. I look at gaming in a similar manner where it would be nice to know the general expectation of scoring in a game as a barometer on how well I've done.
Golf has a clearly defined sequence that takes place each time. Bowling even more so. My thought is that boardgames of interest to me are not much comparable.

I would kind of characterize your objective as a fanciful dream about obtaining precision measurement from a data source that is only a package of anecdotes, though even the dreaming itself can be a pleasant pastime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.