Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43» Forums » General

Subject: Dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Kunzelman
Canada
flag msg tools
Hopefully in 2nd Printing a d12 and percentile d10 are included.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I forget why the D12 might be useful.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
I forget why the D12 might be useful.


Escort Detection
Attack Chart
Encounter Chart
Crew Injury
etc.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Kunzelman
Canada
flag msg tools
Rolling 2d6 and adding them together seems kind of silly. This may have been acceptable in a world before the invention of the d12. And then there is rolling the 2d10. This is really the only thing I have to complain about this game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Trovato
Italy
Rome
ITALY
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the author considered the % of results distribution (bell curve said by Robert) to implement the tables, not just a random number... I hope at least.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rolling several dice and adding them together change the statistical resulting outputs. 2D6 produce non-linear statistical results while 1D12 produces a linear repartition.

Sometimes game desginers needs non-linear charts and so choose dice combinations like 2D6 or 3D6.

Note that Rolling 2D10 to produce 1D100 is linear as both dice aren't added.

Sorry for the bad English.

13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank is right.

You CANNOT roll a D12 and pretend that it is 2D6.

Hugely different distribution, and we can be certain that Greg deliberately chose the numbers on the charts to represent the 2D6 distribution.

For example, with 2D6 you cannot roll a "1", therefore there are no "1" results on the table.

Also for example, a "2" occurs over 8% of the time rolling a D12, versus 3% of the time rolling 2D6.

There is ZERO use for a D12 in The Hunters.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FrUnit7 wrote:
Rolling several dice and adding them together change the statistical resulting outputs. 2D6 produce non-linear statistical results while 1D12 produces a linear repartition.

Sometimes game desginers needs non-linear charts and so choose dice combinations like 2D6 or 3D6.

Note that Rolling 2D10 to produce 1D100 is linear as both dice aren't added.

Sorry for the bad English.



Frank has it exactly right. Plus the Black and White D10s are percentage dice. Use one color for the 10's and the other color for the 1's.

As for Frank pointing to the variable odds with a 2D6 works out as below:

2D6 (note these numbers will not add up to 100% as they are rounded)
2= 2.8%
3= 5.6%
4= 8.3%
6= 11.1%
7= 16.7%
8= 11.1%
9= 8.3%
10= 5.6%
11= 5.6%
12= 2.8%

There are 36 combinations when rolling two six-sided dice. with each pair representing 2.77777~% Where a twelve-sided die only had twelve out comes all at 8.33333~% chance. So with a 2D6 you can weight each outcome by assigning a different number.

Jim P mb

PS Frank your English is just fine!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Kunzelman
Canada
flag msg tools
I enjoy this game. 2D6 is best for The Hunters. I do own and play this game regularly. Eagerly waiting for 2nd print. Perhaps other more traditional war games should use 2D6.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wedge
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
I forget why the D12 might be useful.


Short answer: it wouldn't.

Long answer: see the various posts that explain why above.

The only additional die that could be useful is a d20, and that can already be easily simulated by use of a d10 and a d6.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wedge
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
91Caprice wrote:
I enjoy this game. 2D6 is best for The Hunters. I do own and play this game regularly. Eagerly waiting for 2nd print. Perhaps other more traditional war games should use 2D6.


I can think of several that use 2d10.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have added a percentile d10 to my game, but that is just to make it easier for me as I don't have to decide if the white or black die should represent the tens.
A percentile d6 with 00, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 would be valuable for damage rolls, just to make it easier.

d20 will be included in the 2nd edition for American Coast target rolls
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wedgeij wrote:

The only additional die that could be useful is a d20, and that can already be easily simulated by use of a d10 and a d6.


A D20? For what would you need a D20?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Braz wrote:
Wedgeij wrote:

The only additional die that could be useful is a d20, and that can already be easily simulated by use of a d10 and a d6.


A D20? For what would you need a D20?

Target rolls for American patrols. 20 targets for each size.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wedge
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Braz wrote:
Wedgeij wrote:

The only additional die that could be useful is a d20, and that can already be easily simulated by use of a d10 and a d6.


A D20? For what would you need a D20?


What Stig said.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ad79 wrote:
I have added a percentile d10 to my game, but that is just to make it easier for me as I don't have to decide if the white or black die should represent the tens.
A percentile d6 with 00, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 would be valuable for damage rolls, just to make it easier.

d20 will be included in the 2nd edition for American Coast target rolls


Wouldn't you want that D6 to read: 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60? as the damage starts at 11 through 66, which are both the worst damage to take at sea by the way.

Jim P mb
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jasta6 wrote:
ad79 wrote:
I have added a percentile d10 to my game, but that is just to make it easier for me as I don't have to decide if the white or black die should represent the tens.
A percentile d6 with 00, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 would be valuable for damage rolls, just to make it easier.

d20 will be included in the 2nd edition for American Coast target rolls


Wouldn't you want that D6 to read: 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60? as the damage starts at 11 through 66, which are both the worst damage to take at sea by the way.

Jim P mb


Yeah, you are right,and it has been too long since this game it the table, which should be why I wrote the wrong numbers. Might need to do something about that soon.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ad79 wrote:
Yeah, you are right, and it has been too long since this game it the table, which should be why I wrote the wrong numbers. Might need to do something about that soon.


I think I'm on the hook for a 4/8 week tourney in September. So maybe we both can get the game back on the table!

Jim P mb
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Kunzelman
Canada
flag msg tools
For Shame! I have this at least once a week. Short games are appealing to me at this stage of life. Kids and stuff.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jasta6 wrote:
ad79 wrote:
Yeah, you are right, and it has been too long since this game it the table, which should be why I wrote the wrong numbers. Might need to do something about that soon.


I think I'm on the hook for a 4/8 week tourney in September. So maybe we both can get the game back on the table!

Jim P mb


I'm in for that.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ad79 wrote:
I'm in for that.


Me too...

whistle
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard dyrda
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI in reprint you get

3 d6 (2 white, 1 black)
2 d10 (1 white, 1 black)
1 d20 (1 red)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kranz
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, good point. We added a 1d20 to resolve American ship targets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard dyrda
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

The game and videos were wonderful. Silent Victory P500'd. Looking forward to it and expansions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kranz
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dyrda wrote:
John,

The game and videos were wonderful. Silent Victory P500'd. Looking forward to it and expansions.

Thanks very much, Richard! Glad the videos were helpful.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.