United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
badge
I really do have a wonderful life.
mbmbmbmbmb
For my third game of Ace of Aces at the World Boardgaming Championships in Lancaster, PA, I faced off against VuduJoie, the man who had supplied the books for the last two games we had played. I should have suspected that he had a handle on the game, but we flew into combat. I stuck with the Allies and he went with the Germans.

The game began pretty evenly as he nailed me for a point and I shot back for two... only my shooting back was accompanied by his shooting me up for another two points. A few spins later, I found myself down two more points, only this one was not reciprocal. He hit me at a distance for half a point, so when we came back together to exchange two quick points, I went down and he was able to limp back to the aerodome with two points remaining.

Some things come with experience, I suppose, but I could not get a handle around where I should be in relation to my opponent in this game. I suspect that I looked at the moves rather than at the speed, as I tended to go either slow or average for most of my moves. I learned in early games that page 223 generally resulted in a lost result, so I would avoid moves that took me in that direction.

VuduJoie was up for another round and as this was my first night of gaming for the event, I was riled up and ready to go into my ninth game of the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
raolsson wrote:
I learned in early games that page 223 generally resulted in a lost result, so I would avoid moves that took me in that direction.

Don't be afraid of page 223. In a game, if you both lose sight, then if you both decide to search, you restart on a neutral page - nothing gained, nothing lost. If your opponent decides to escape, you win the point. Also, if you find yourself at a disadvantage, it's good to escape so that you can come back on a neutral page. The only reason to avoid page 223 is if you're in a tailing position with the advantage of a clue for the next move - you'll want to stay in visual range so that you can turn that clue into a shooting opportunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.