Hardware: (5)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
3x Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts)

Program: (3)
1x Corroder (Core) ■■
1x ZU.13 Key Master (What Lies Ahead) ■■
1x Garrote (True Colors)

Resource: (3)
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Influence Totals:
Anarch: 2
Shaper: 9
Neutral: 6

I think the deck is pretty self-explanatory no? Do you think it's solid? What would you change? One things that immediately pops to mind is -2 Shutdown (or something else) and +2 Desperado, but seeing as I have no use for a 5th point of MU, is it really worth it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Epimer
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe credit the author of this post back in May for the idea?

Desperado isn't good because of the MU, it's for the one credit per successful run. Given how often you'd be running with a deck like this, it's a no-brainer to include it. You could make space by cutting a few events and replacing them with Planned Assault to retain consistency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's your plan when your opponent has Power Shutdown?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Voicepads are great Shutdown defense. And if he Shutdowns Zu? Well I have Levy don't I?

@Epimer: I don't frequent Stimhack, not to mention his deck is vastly different from mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nunes
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering you're playing criminal, you need to have more program recursion. Corroder and ZU are Power Shutdown bait. Drop one lucky find and one makers eye for two clone chips. In fact,fI'd go with R&DI instead. Having only one Makers eye makes you too dependent on Same Ol Thing.

I'd actually drop the Easy Marks for Desperado. You'll get more out of it inthe long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two Maker's Eye, and RDI has no interaction with Ken. And Levy means I don't need Clone Chips. And, again, PPVP protects Corroder just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Voicepads are great Shutdown defense. And if he Shutdowns Zu? Well I have Levy don't I?

One untutorable Levy. Non-searchable singletons aren't exactly lauded for their ability to be in your hand in a timely manner. Levy is a particularly poor substitute for a proper PS recovery as it's so expensive and shuffles the breaker back to your deck rather than your grip.

Faeries are extremely good PS defense, and in faction, and a fantastic breaker to boot. Or you could trade in the Zu for Peacock, it's not the worst decoder and you'd save some influence for whatever that's worth to you.

I do agree it's unlikely you lose the Corroder to Power Shutdown but this all ignoring the possibility that you run into a Grim, Ichi, Archer, Rototurret, etc... before Garrote hits the table. Aggressive Secretary is coming back (around my area anyway) as well, and she can be a tremendous pain even with recursion. Power Shutdown was just an example for program destruction at large, which your deck seems particularly weak to. Levy may eventually get your breakers back, but they already have a particularly large scoring window at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
try donut. really good since you can use prepaid to make siphon and emergency shutdown free again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:

Levy is not reliable recursion.

Drop the easy marks, add desperadoes. I would cut lucky find for run events, indexing and stimhack come to mind.

I also hate express delivery with a passion, but I am apparently in the minority on this, I see my local group playing it out of faction even.....

3 forged activation orders may be too much, maybe some st uplink instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Schneider
United States
California
flag msg tools
johncraven wrote:
try donut. really good since you can use prepaid to make siphon and emergency shutdown free again.

Donut is complete anti-synergy with this kind of deck. Each lucky find, sure gamble, dirty laundry, ... makes you less money. Nullifies the whole point of the prepaids, and ends up hurting you much more than the corp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Tollbooths will be fun to run against this deck. No Femme Fatale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend has been running a PrePaid Ken deck for a while now, it's brutal when it gets going but sometimes fails entirely to get started!

Some thoughts: I think, possibly over Levy, you should try and add Indexing. It is *such* a good card, and it fits into Ken perfectly as it's also a run event.

(Ref what someone else said, I think Donut is kind of counter to what your deck is trying to do. In an Iain deck, or a deck running loads of resources, it could be worth it; here, you're effectively running a card for 2 influence which cancels your ID ability)

Second the thoughts for some extra breakers; money generally isn't a problem in KenPad, so some slightly more expensive breakers (Gordion Blade?) may work better as well.

Just out of interest, is there any reason you're running the Express Deliveries? You already have 3 Special Order in there, it seems like if you're searching for a card it would probably be one of your run events, and in that case 3 x Planned Assault may work better.

Finally, my friend has used Lawyer Up quite successfully in KenPad, they really help you keep the tempo up after you hit an Account Siphon by letting you fill your hand and removing the tags as a bonus. You could maybe lose a single of some run events/FAO to make the space for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for Lawyer Up, this deck plays tag-me.

And I'll soon post an updated decklist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F
msg tools
Isn't playing tag me a bad idea when bad times is in the current/next datapck (depending on where you are)? You're going to find it a little problematic to use levy as recursion here. It could work functionally in shaper ebcause they're installing a good chunk of their deck, so when they play levy its a significantly shorter stack. Here, you're almost entirely events (which I realise is the point) giving you a good chunk of your deck to sift through to get a special order/ice breaker. Also, what do you do the second time? Wouldn't it be better to save the elvy for when you need that restart, rather than have your opponent force it upon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New list:

Prepaid Express
Ken "Express" Tenma: Disappeared Clone (Honor and Profit)

Event (32)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
3x Easy Mark (Core Set)
2x Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus)
3x Forged Activation Orders (Core Set)
2x Inside Job (Core Set)
3x Legwork (Honor and Profit)
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••• •
1x Planned Assault (Honor and Profit)
3x Special Order (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x The Maker's Eye (Core Set) ••••• •

Hardware (7)
2x Desperado (Core Set)

Resource (3)

Icebreaker (3)
1x Corroder (Core Set) ••
1x Garrote (True Colors)
1x Gordian Blade (Core Set) •••

17 influence spent (max 17)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Honor and Profit

Now PPVP protects all of my breakers from Shutdown, so the only real worry are destroyers, which aren't worry at all what with FAO. Alternatively, I could install Garrote preemptively; it's not like it will be a huge blow what with this deck looking to very wealthy and all. Yes, in the future a barrier Grail could destroy a program, but no one should future-proof their deck. Rather, they should adjust them when new cards are released, not before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still concerned about the speed at which you can get your breakers out. I run Andy, 3x Special Order, double corroder for safety, and at least 1 backup crypsis.

That puts me 4 cards ahead of you to start, and more chances to find something approaching a full breaker suite, and I still wish it was faster.

I'm sure someone can put together a model of how many cards you need to draw before you get your full suite out, but my guess is that this is going to have a hard time dealing with fast decks that have gear checking ETR ice.

Try it against Astrobiotics and let us know how it fairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and yet you hate Express Delievery? w/e

Okay, final revision (I hope):

Ken "Express" Tenma: Disappeared Clone (Honor and Profit)

Event (29)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
1x Easy Mark (Core Set)
2x Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus)
1x Express Delivery (Honor and Profit)
3x Forged Activation Orders (Core Set)
1x Inside Job (Core Set)
2x Legwork (Honor and Profit)
2x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••
2x Planned Assault (Honor and Profit)
1x Quality Time (Humanity's Shadow)
3x Special Order (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
2x The Maker's Eye (Core Set) ••••

Hardware (7)
2x Desperado (Core Set)

Resource (3)

Icebreaker (6)
2x Corroder (Core Set) ••••
2x Garrote (True Colors)
2x ZU.13 Key Master (What Lies Ahead) ••••

17 influence spent (max 17)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Honor and Profit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
I'd put the 1x Easy Mark as a second Inside Job. Inside Job is practically an economy card in a deck like this: -2 credits to play, +1 for Ken's ability, +1 for PPVP, +1 from Desperado, and you saved X credits not breaking ice. The access is almost the icing on the cake. And Inside Job works better with Same Old Thing than Easy Mark does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
With the amount of money available I'd do what the guy who beat me this morning did:

Test Run/Retrieval Run/Inside Job/Money/Oracle May.

Don't bother with anything else other than zu/corroder and a single levy. Maybe even lose a same old thing to help with that plan. Lucky Find might not be necessary from what I've seen.

Granted our game was close, but he beat out a Midway Station deck, which requires a lot of money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Galdames
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new list is a lot better.

Levy as a backup plan isn't stellar, as it's somewhat unreliable due to it's credit- and opportunity cost. That said, doubling up on breakers has been the criminal way to go for a while now.

Although nowadays, I don't know. Program destruction is as prevalent as ever, and with Bad Times out there, who knows.

I consider Clone Chip one of the best cards in the game for many reasons, and it has been a stellar include in red, green and blue decks.

I packed Test Run with Andy in regionals and it was crazy. It serves as a -albeit clunkier- means of recursion by picking up programs from the trash, while also grabbing a key breaker from the Stack in a pinch. Test run into Account Siphon for a double ETR ICE on HQ is a very common, scumbag play. With your focus on Events and your ample Influence, you could give this card a spin.

Food for thought!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.