United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
KILLER QUEEN: BITES THE DUST!
badge
ShaRog Master Race
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this with 5 players and would like to play it solo before I try multiple players again.

Are there any special rules for playing solo, or do you just play with 3 crewmen exactly the same as if there were 3 players at the table? It may not ever matter, but would the first player token technically pass from crewmen to crewmen each round (meaning that they pick their dice and take their actions in a very specific order every round)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

You are right, you just chose 3 - 5 crew and establish the first player. You need to keep track of that for events and who gets extra dice, etc... but that is all.

I have had fun playing solitaire games, but find the interaction of players very interesting with the action dice process.

Thanks,

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Meenachan
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
KILLER QUEEN: BITES THE DUST!
badge
ShaRog Master Race
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:

You are right, you just chose 3 - 5 crew and establish the first player. You need to keep track of that for events and who gets extra dice, etc... but that is all.

I have had fun playing solitaire games, but find the interaction of players very interesting with the action dice process.

Thanks,

Richard

Thanks for the prompt response Richard. I'm looking forward to getting Run, Fight, or Die!, hopefully next week...keep 'em comin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I just signed the copies of Run, Fight, or Die and they look great. In fact I took an advanced copy of it to Ravenwood CastleCon in Ohio last weekend and I think everyone really enjoyed it and it is truly a fun game to play and one that I always enjoy playing.

I think you will enjoy it and hope you enjoy Alien Uprising also.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry George
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:

Thanks,

Richard

I think this is a FAKE solo play. Playing 3-5 characters is not solo. Archipelago plays 5 people as well but has a special deck and setup for single players. I was hoping for that when we hit that funding goal, very disappointed in Mr. B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jerry,

Sorry you are disappointed. We did mark the box as 3-5 players, and during the campaign folks asked for solo play, so we came up with a way to do it by playing with 3 characters. The game was not designed to play with one crewman, and we never claimed it was.

Again, I am sorry you are disappointed in me and my company, and hope this might clear things up a little bit.

Sean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry George
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
onekccs wrote:
Hi Jerry,

Sorry you are disappointed. We did mark the box as 3-5 players, and during the campaign folks asked for solo play, so we came up with a way to do it by playing with 3 characters. The game was not designed to play with one crewman, and we never claimed it was.

Again, I am sorry you are disappointed in me and my company, and hope this might clear things up a little bit.

Sean

Playing 3 characters is not solo. It takes no imagination to just say play with 3 instead. I might as well play ANY game with 2 extra players. A solo could have been designed I think. Maybe stack the debris tokens, can carry 2-3 at a time ect. That would take play testing and effort but you took the easy way out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jerry,

Again, sorry your unhappy, but the box says 3-5 players, not 1-5 (that is a BGG description).

We offered a way to do it on BGG and in comments, and are looking into making a scenario for solo play down the road, but as you pointed out, that takes time and playtesting and it is not something we felt worked well enough at the time of printing so we published it as 3-5 and a level we were comfortable playing it with that we knew worked as Richard designed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Williams
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jerry-
House rule a solo game maybe have F1D0 already for use.
lower the rescue time.

Mr. B-
Your other 976 backer fans are here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Andrews
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Interestingly, though i understand what has been said about the game not being solo, I look at it differently.

When I want to get a game that I can play by myself, I look for it to be labeled for solo play or for 1 to X players.

If I can't play it by myself then that is not a solo game.

If the game had said 3-5 players I would not have purchased it thinking it was unplayable by myself.

Another way to look at whether I can play by myself would be that the Baddies are AI controlled. I play one side and AI plays the other.

I was really mad when I purchased a war game that was rated as a 10 for solo play and the advert even touted its solo play and made it sound like it had rules/mechanics to make it solo. I didn't expect too much but when I got it there was nothing making it different from any other game. I scoured the rule book looking for some small section about solo play but nothing.

I guess what the game companies need is to come up with a new description: "3-5 players and playable by yourself" ? "for 3-5* players *can be played by yourself"? Or maybe "For 3-5 players, solo compatible with AI controlled baddies"

Or maybe have a solo rating. Another game I think of is Arkham Horror where you end up with so many cards that I can't possibly remember everything I can do on a turn and certainly don't want to take so much time to review every card every time. Same for Alien Uprising, I'm playing my first game with 3 crew and that's enough given all the cards I have to keep in mind especially since they apply during other crew's turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I just got this game today I noticed on a casual run through of the rules that I didn't see any special solo instructions...because there aren't any!

I, like Jerry, read the descrition on BGG and saw "1-5" and the description on the game's own KS page "A cooperative game for 1-5 players." So I thought, mistakenly it appears, that it was designed for solo play.

Now it does also say on the KS page: "You control 3-5 Crewmen of a crashed starship through a desperate battle with the enraged Zothren" so I guess they meant you'd have to play at least 3 characters by yourself. I am used to doing that on a lot of solo games and it is often a better game with more than one character. So I will have to give it a play with my three crew members and see what happens.

I did notice that the solo mission they mentioned during the Kickstarter is now available with a couple other new missions in the BGG Store for $5. So there's that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kirk,

The reason there are no solo rules in the game is because the game is listed by us and on the box as 3-5 players officially.

Folks on the KS page asked us for solo play, since its you against the game, so we worked on variants but at that time, the only way we could offer any type of solo play was if one person plays 3 crewmen (via playtesting, its the only way to keep the balance).

Upon looking into more solo options after the KS, we made a scenario but you still end up using the robots to help you. The nature of this game is, you simply need the extra help.

I personally feel the game works well for solo or 2, with scenarios and/or using multiple crewmen, but to avoid confusion we did not print the game box as 1-5 players, but instead the back of the box is listed as 3-5 players.

Bgg listings can be edited by the community, and enough folks out there feel the game can be played by 1 or 2 (using multiple crewmen each) so that is why bgg has it listed as 1-5. Kickstarter pages, on the other hand, cannot be edited and still shows 1-5 but clarifying that you must control 3-5 crewman in doing so.

I am very sorry if this lead to any confusion over number of players.

Sean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.