Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find the post now but I seem to remember someone recommending a different 3 player Kingdom setup than what the rules recommend.

Any opinions on the best 3 player setup for novices?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KlydeFrog wrote:
I can't find the post now but I seem to remember someone recommending a different 3 player Kingdom setup than what the rules recommend.

Any opinions on the best 3 player setup for novices?

Thanks!

I'd recommend assuming the designer knew what he was doing until your own experience gives you reason to suspect otherwise. Starting with variants before absorbing the game is a mistake more often than not. (And yes, I've played this game with 3 using the suggested setup.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Sphere (hey, George, very long time no see - glad to see you posting here).
The only other setup that is remotely plausible is Aqui, Turan, Hyperbo. Any other combination makes no sense at all, as far as I'm concerned, simply because of the way the map is designed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Aquilonia is the easiest to understand, followed by Turan. Hyperborea is probably the hardest to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
azjerei wrote:
I think Aquilonia is the easiest to understand, followed by Turan. Hyperborea is probably the hardest to play.

Both are pretty straightforward as they don't rely on magic much. Still, Stygia is easy in my opinion since they have a protected backwater in which they can expand without much interference... unless Turan turns South which in turn will yield the center to Aquilonia. This particular dynamic is why I really won't play Conan with 3p anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I didn't get it to the table today after all but will keep this in mind for next time (assuming I can't manage to get 4 players together)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.