Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yo!

I got some experience in light/deep wargames, I've tried some and bought others and none of them scratched that itch of a possibility of OP like a miniatures game. And yes, I am a miniatures gamer and I'm used to build an army list and go to the field test it against 2, 3, 4 opponents.

Of all the "easy access" wargames in the market I've looked and bought Battles of Westeros, because its a beast of game and IMO the best title produced under the C&C/BattleLore system.
With the expanded rules the game has everything, charge and withdrawal, multi-charge into single attack, flank charge, positioning. I guess the withdraw aspect of it makes the game very strategic, much like Warhammer Fantasy Battles was back in the days.
The problem with BoW is that the game lacks support with only 3 factions to chose from and the lack of a "point system". Yeah, it got cards but feels really random and don't give that army-building feel.

I've tried BattleLore (Second Edition) that incorporated some sort of army-building into it but that system didn't convinced me. Also the game is pretty weak compared with BoW that offered much more depth over the field of battle. BLore II felt to me like the Warhammer games are right now, a game where you build a cookie-cutter list and that's it.

...And God said, “Let there be Heroes of Normandie,” and there was Heroes of Normandie.

This game really offers the feeling of a miniature game in a box, like all the video-reviewers said.
It has a point system for army building and a grid system for support options (brilliant idea IMO) and it has a "generic" scenario with objectives with different kinds of deploy, like a good miniatures game.

The game seems a little bit "light" compared with others. I'm not much into "rolling one die and check the result", that resumes the whole game into one dice roll and privileges the random element of it, but... it also has a neat order system that can surpass that same random element. And also cards that can really mitigate that same element from the game.

So, what are your opinions about the potential of this game into an OP environment?
Do you think this game would do well in a Tournament with several players, with specific points limit and playing for the "free" scenario with different deployments between rounds?
And what about the deck of cards and its customization? Do you think this single element would put this game into a higher place in OP gaming?
Or do you have any other aspect you could point out to turn this game into a neat OP experience?

I really believe this game can shine in OP. Having a point limit (say, 300) and bringing your grids with those points with all the units and options and also a custom deck of 40 carts built around your list, this would really make this game blow. Also with the addition of other armies, like the French and UK right now and maybe adding Soviets, Japanese, Finns, Italians,..., in the future, I would gladly spend all my money on these Devil Pig guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If my FLGS did this I would buy in for sure.

I think that answers your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iello is supporting OP, at least in the US. DPG seems to be setting up tournament play as well.

Iello info:
http://iellogames.com/wordpress/?page_id=850

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.