Subject: Fido Super Flare question... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Lupo
United States
Fort Irwin
California
flag msg tools
Quick (hopefully) question that came up during tonight's round of Cosmic Encounter. I didn't find an answer in the Cosmodex.

If I play the Fido Super Flare (allowing me to fetch all the discarded encounter cards and pass them out as I choose), do I still draw cards (or retrieve ships from the warp) for each card that is accepted (Fido Alien Power)?

Perhaps I don't understand how using a Super Flare interacts with using an Alien Power. Are they independent of each other (meaning I cannot legally draw cards), or are they presumed to stack insofar as they are consistent (meaning I would draw a card for each Fetched encounter card that is accepted)?

I apologize if this has been covered before. New to BGG and Cosmic Encounter.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
wolflupo wrote:
New to BGG and Cosmic Encounter.

Welcome!

wolflupo wrote:
If I play the Fido Super Flare (allowing me to fetch all the discarded encounter cards and pass them out as I choose), do I still draw cards (or retrieve ships from the warp) for each card that is accepted (Fido Alien Power)?

Yes, the intent is to extend the base power from just "one card" to "any or all cards."

wolflupo wrote:
Perhaps I don't understand how using a Super Flare interacts with using an Alien Power. Are they independent of each other ... or are they presumed to stack insofar as they are consistent ...?

Both. Some flares offer an independent effect, while others extend the base power in some way. After you've played a few times you'll develop a feel for which is which. One way you can sometimes identify the latter is by noting if the Super flare repeats a "flavor word" from the base power. For example, Super Fido uses the word fetch as a callback, Super Loser repeats upset, Super Chosen references drawing for divine intervention, Super Cudgel smashes multiple players, Super Arcade sadly treats us to another pwn, and so on.

As a general rule of thumb, I'd say it's safe to assume that if a Super flare could leverage the base power, it probably does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Lupo
United States
Fort Irwin
California
flag msg tools
Thanks Bill! Makes sense to me.

Great work on the Cosmodex by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG and welcome to Cosmic Encounter! There's a wild, wacky universe of fun stretched out before you. Dive in and enjoy yourself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.