Subject: Filch: Can we define the boundaries of Cheating/getting caught.? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Aeschleman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, last night my gaming crew came over for Cosmic Encounter. It's our favorite game and has brought people from all walks of life together. One of the aliens that my friend got to choose from was Filch...Filch has, probably, my favorite Flare card because it lets you cheat...take cards from the deck/discard pile or ships from the warp...and, if you get caught, you lose 1 ship to the warp and then get to move the deck and discard pile closer to you so that you can cheat easier...my question's are:

If I am just that good, could I pick up half the deck in one shot, as long as I don't get caught doing it?

Define getting caught: Is it the fact that I have 30 cards in my hand and someone notices 3 turns later, or is it actually catching me pulling those 30 cards back to my hand?

Side Note: Having the Crystal alien and the Filch flare card is amazing...most likely you will have a hand full of multiples of one number and can use the Crystal's power to make your 10 a 100...just saying...

Anyway, I cheated like crazy last night and it made all my friends mad and want to never use the Filch again, which, to me, is ridiculous. If you don't want me to destroy you with legal cheating, then pay better attention :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo L
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess every one of us remember the first time they meet the Filch super. A very special moment that illustrate what this game is about: breaking the rules and having fun. "Are you kidding me ? No way they would allow that, show me your flare ! ... Wow ... There is no limit to this game it seems ... " Pure joice !

Answering you question, the super flare read:

Quote:
You may cheat and take your ships from the warp (to colonies) or cards from the deck or discard pile, even when you are not entitled to them. If caught in the act, you lose one ship to the warp and return the items you were caught filching. You don't have to reveal this flare unless you are caught, but once it is revealed the deck and discards are placed next to you for easy access.

There is indeed a gray zone to what is exactly "in the act", but 3 turns later is certainly not "in the act" anymore.

A classic show case is when a player use his 40 attack , you then steal it from the discard, and play it on the next encouter against him. At this moment he will likely understand you are cheating, but it's too late too bust you out. He should have notice beforehand.

My policy is that as soon as one cannot track which cards is which (legal or stolen) in filch hand , then it's too late.

For instance I still remember this one game when I suddenly realize one of my friends has 40+ cards in hand. He laugh loudly as soon as I met his eyes, it was too late for me to bust him anyway. Even if I was pretty sure that 90% of his cards were stolen, I was not able to tell which cards were stolen or not.
Nice time laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you notice they have half the deck, just tell everyone to keep beady eyes on them and catch them in the act - otherwise use a Finder on them lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
late for dinner wrote:
If I am just that good, could I pick up half the deck in one shot, as long as I don't get caught doing it?

Yes. Some players hate this flare, but for my troop is is pure awesome. It would be hard for me to name a more quintessentially Cosmic effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Aeschleman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haiku wrote:

A classic show case is when a player use his 40 attack , you then steal it from the discard, and play it on the next encouter against him. At this moment he will likely understand you are cheating, but it's too late too bust you out. He should have notice beforehand.

This was the case last night, except it was the sorcerer flare someone used on me to swap my Crystal power with Remote...well, I stole it back from the discard and swapped myself back to Crystal so I could win in style with a 30(x30) attack...which would have been awesome, but someone Cosmic Zapped me then card zapped my card zap...I ended up only winning with a 30 and about 5 Reinforcement cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, one game I did about 3 Filches off the discard pile before getting the "WTF are you doing?" then of course the head games like a runner leading off a base - was I going to 'steal' or not? good times
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Aeschleman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to stack my cards in my hand, not fanned out, then stand up to adjust the warp...while I am adjusting the warp, distracting everyone with my right hand, My left hand (Holding my cards) is on top of the draw pile, and I pick up half the draw pile all smooth before I sit back down. Nobody has caught me yet :-) Filch is easily in my top 5 reasons why I love this game. Any game that encourages cheating as long as you don't get caught is cool by me :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Luke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love the element of risk as I always find myself pushing the boundaries on what I can getaway with, I love watching other players double take when your small colonies have doubled or your hand has doubled in size.

I have found this can cause upset with new players who are do not know this card exists and have caught you cheating and haven't felt comfortable outing you (my opinion is too bad).

My close gaming group are always suspicious and the old distraction method fails to work, but you do get good at palming ships.

I love this card, most of my friends didn't until they realise how fun it makes the game (more so when you have the flair).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.