Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess everyone knows the rules are out now. I finally got a chance to read them this weekend. Pages 32-33 cover the Optional rules:

1. Fixed Hero Move: move 4 instead of d6.

Not for me. I like the standard FFP rule of randomized moves.

2. Advanced Encounters: Certain rooms have a specific encounter in addition to whatever else is there.

I like this one, and I think I will probably use it most of the time. I need to see how it affects the difficulty of the game, but in general it seems like these extra encounters will tie in to the artwork pictured on the relevant tiles, so it will be a nice theme boost in addition to a difficulty bump. I'm surprised this one is optional, actually.

3. Hard Core Mode: KO = dead.

Unlikely for me, as it seems to defeat the purpose of having continuing characters. I guess I might try it, but I would probably also house rule some kind of increased XP gain.

4. Dangerous Dynamite: 10 or more wounds at once makes you roll to see if your dynamite accidentally explodes.

Not likely for me. Looks like it just adds insult to injury. Or technically I guess it adds more injury to injury. I'll need to see how effective dynamite is before deciding whether to use this one. Then again, maybe this would be amusing in an all-Bandido posse....

5. Themed Threat Decks: Customize the threat decks to only use certain monsters.

Yes! This is part of the point of the whole product line, and it hardly even needs to be listed as an official option. Not that I will necessarily do it every game, but once we get beyond the core sets, I feel like I will be doing this a lot.

6. Below the Darkness: Once the two tokens on the Depth Track pass each other, all monsters gain an Elite ability.

I really like this one thematically. Plus it just feels like something should happen when the tokens pass each other. I'll need to see how it affects the difficulty, but assuming it's reasonable, I'm planning to use this one most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Probably 2,4 and 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I would normally use the random movement roll but perhaps using a fixed move may increase the play speed ie less downtime

2) this option should always be in effect as it adds to the theme

3) I wouldnt use hardcore mode, it only causes premature character dead which doesnt add any "fun" value to the game, i understand that the characters receive certain ongoing wounds which should be sufficient as penalty

4) difficult to say, if needed to counterbalance the power of dynamite I might use it.

5) its all about theme, so missions with specific monster types will be more fun and some monsters just dont fit in particular settings

6) if the difficulty is too easy, then this is certainly an option to increase it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at 2, 3, 4 and 6. I like permadeath in games, I think it adds a layer of tension which I enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Willy's Taxidermy
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
I guess everyone knows the rules are out now. I finally got a chance to read them this weekend. Pages 32-33 cover the Optional rules:

I'm with you on this, but I have some people in my gaming group who would despise random movement. Prolly just play this as optional by player. Everyone is happy then.

Rubric wrote:
2. Advanced Encounters: Certain rooms have a specific encounter in addition to whatever else is there.

I like this one, and I think I will probably use it most of the time. I need to see how it affects the difficulty of the game, but in general it seems like these extra encounters will tie in to the artwork pictured on the relevant tiles, so it will be a nice theme boost in addition to a difficulty bump. I'm surprised this one is optional, actually.

I agree, this shouldn't be optional.

Rubric wrote:

Unlikely for me, as it seems to defeat the purpose of having continuing characters. I guess I might try it, but I would probably also house rule some kind of increased XP gain.

I can see this option really ramping up the tension and to me contributes more to the RPG feel.

Rubric wrote:
4. Dangerous Dynamite: 10 or more wounds at once makes you roll to see if your dynamite accidentally explodes.

Not likely for me. Looks like it just adds insult to injury. Or technically I guess it adds more injury to injury. I'll need to see how effective dynamite is before deciding whether to use this one. Then again, maybe this would be amusing in an all-Bandido posse....

Probably wouldn't use this as it would be just one more thing to keep track of.

Rubric wrote:
5. Themed Thread Decks: Customize the threat decks to only use certain monsters.

Yes! This is part of the point of the whole product line, and it hardly even needs to be listed as an official option. Not that I will necessarily do it every game, but once we get beyond the core sets, I feel like I will be doing this a lot.

Totally agree!
Rubric wrote:
6. Below the Darkness: Once the two tokens on the Depth Track pass each other, all monsters gain an Elite ability.

I really like this one thematically. Plus it just feels like something should happen when the tokens pass each other. I'll need to see how it affects the difficulty, but assuming it's reasonable, I'm planning to use this one most of the time.

Like you, I'd wanna see how the stock difficulty is before committing to this one, but most likely will use it as it just makes sense.

- John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 and 6 probably.

the game doesn't seem to be designed with the optionnal rule number 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yog Sothoth
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's 2, 5 and 6 for me. 5 will be the most important once all those new monsters hit and custom scenarios are built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
2, 5 and 6 by the looks of things. Looks like there's going to be an awful lot of dice rolling already so we'll probably use 1 too, at least to start off with. It worked for Warhammer Quest and just seems like it would speed things up here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Looks like there's going to be an awful lot of dice rolling already so we'll probably use 1 too

Even with Fixed Movement, you still have to roll to see if you gain Grit.

If you're trying to conserve dice rolls, I suppose you could house rule Grit to be based off the Hold Back the Darkness roll, like on an exact 7, everyone gains one Grit. Same odds, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
2, maybe 4, 5, and 6.

4 sounds kinds fun and dangerous, and certainly does make sense; I'll have to see how the game difficulty is - it wouldn't make too much sense to add this hardship if the game is already proving to be tough. Though the dynamite satchel would cancel this, so players could make sure they pick that up to avoid this penalty.

5 is a no-brainer once we've gotten a few games in. 2 also sounds cool.

6 also sounds neat thematically. Though perhaps a bit like the dynamite, we might have to play a game or three before we decide we can handle it!

The random movement, 1, never bothered me in this game. You're in the belly of a mine, you can't see well, and it goes without saying that the path is treacherous. As one who enjoys and has done a fair bit of spelunking, this just makes a lot of sense to me. Seems as though the lantern bearer should be granted a bit of a bonus here; like roll two dice and pick the best result. Spelunking based on someone else's flashlight (which I've done just to try) is not easy!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the problem with the fixed movement rule is that the game has clearly been designed with the "roll a die for movement" rule.

See some skills like the "cavalry scout" here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calvary Scout could just allow your character to move 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ZombieDad2 wrote:
Calvary Scout could just allow your character to move 8.

Eh, it's not meant as a "double your move" ability, it's meant to be a "best of 2" option. So I might only give a +1 Move to the Cavalry Scout with fixed movement rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rubric wrote:

I'm with you. I'm glad they included the rules for those who wanted it, but it's not for me.

Rubric wrote:

Again, with you. I'm going to use this on the first run through, probably (but then, I always used the Advanced Rules on all my runs through with FFP's various games, and prefer it that way. It seems to give a lot of flavor.

Rubric wrote:

I'm interested in using this as an RP, telling stories with my friends, and sometimes deaths are going to be anticlimactic. So... probably not. (Not to say we won't have characters die in a blaze of glory from time to time, but that'll be player-choice.)

Rubric wrote:

I doubt I'll use this one, but we'll see. I'd say it's unlikely, but not completely ruled out.

Rubric wrote:

5. Themed Threat Decks: Customize the threat decks to only use certain monsters.

I think I'm only going to do this on themed adventures. Most of the time, you never know WHAT monster you're going to encounter. But hey, on themed stories? Absolutely.

Rubric wrote:

I like this idea. A lot. But I'm going to wait and see what my players think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Clearihue
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:

I am leaning more towards using the fixed movement. Considering the breadth of encounters and tactical situations you can find yourself in, I'd rather know I'll move 4 than roll a 1-2 and basically lose a chance to reposition.

Rubric wrote:

Agree 100%

Rubric wrote:

I can't see myself doing this one either, at least not until we're more familiar with the game system and get some experience with party dynamics.

Rubric wrote:

I think the idea is to make hoarding your dynamite less palatable for people. If you're not chucking them into monsters regularly, then you might be in trouble when a big boss lands that lucky hit.

I'm still kind of neutral on this until I see more of the game.

Rubric wrote:

This is how I imagined the game too; easy to add/subtract cards from the decks to theme a session around a specific idea.

Rubric wrote:

I would use this as well. If the mine is getting "eviler" and you're going right into its bowels, then the strength of the monsters, or at the very least, some of the other challenges, should reflect that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No.

2. Yes! Most likely all the time, or maybe activate it randomly.

3. Maybe? I kinda like permadeath, but if there are enough other drawbacks to serious injuries I would only use this for truly hardcore solo play, not with my regular group.

4. Eh. One more thing to remember.

5. Yes, probably with some semi-randomization.

6. Yes, unless it makes the game too hard. With this game I think about one third to two thirds of delves should be successful, so if this pushes the odds outside that I probably won't use it... again, with an exception for hardcore solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cotton Donkey
Canada
Milton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

No.
I like the random odds. It can be infuriating, but that has made for some nail biting games.
I would consider allowing a player to use this rule for their character or to choose from turn to turn, before rolling, to decide if they want to roll or have fixed movement for that turn.
But only if that player is very passionately against random movement.

Yes.
Probably not in the first game, but I really like this. I'm sure it will increase the difficultly a bit, and the chances to get more experience.

Mabey. Might try it at some point.
I think I'm more willing to try this one on heroes that are maxed out on leveling, and perhapes if the players are willing to risk losing that character.
But I'm sure nobody wants to sit out of a game if their character dies, waiting for the other players to finish the dungeon.
So I don't think it will see much, if any play.

Mabey. I'll try it at some point.
Although after thinking about it, I've changed my answer to Yes.
Dynamite seems powerful. And although their is already friendly fire and dynamite bounce, I like the possible extra danger.
Although I realize it can be deadly to the heroes, especially if they are clumped together.
But it can also damage clumped enemies around a hero whose dynamite blows up.
So I'm going to say yes, I'll be using this one as well.

Yes
This game is fully customizable. Once we get more monsters, why wouldn't I take advantage of this aspect.

Mabey. I'll try it at some point.
I have a feeling this will increase the difficulty quite a bit.
I'm going to see how difficult it is with all the other options I plan on implementing.
If further challenge is needed, I will use this one as well.
If we're all getting our butts handed to us continuously, then I won't use this one.
If we want more of a challenge, I will use this one.

(edited to expand on answers, as well as change an initial answer I had)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Clearihue
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
the problem with the fixed movement rule is that the game has clearly been designed with the "roll a die for movement" rule.

I would look at that card and just play it as is; you're electing to bypass your guaranteed 4 movement to roll 2 dice for Move each turn, and choosing which to use.

Dice being what they are, you'll probably average out a 3-4 every turn, with some turns giving you a whopping 6 to move, and some a 1-2.

It still works fine that way, and of course, because this isn't a "tournament" game, all these optional rules are there for you to season your experience to your own taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Gardner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Fixed Move
- I don't think we'd ever be using this one. Also it makes the use of grit all that more important when you are trying to spend as few turns as possible in the mines as every turn is another 'hold off the darkness' roll.

2. Advanced Encounters
- This would be an eventually for me. I don't we'd dive right in to chancing multiple encounters in the same room from day 1.

3. Hard Core
- I think I'd lighten up on this one a bit and probably make it only dead in the event of a Total Party KO or if the party leaves the mine while members are down (leaving them in the mines)

4. Dangerous Dynamite
- I don't think I'd play this one. But again I would probably play a variant where if you took fire damage or something or spent too long in Targa Plateau that it could get dangerous. (if creature/otherworld rules don't already account for that)

5. Themed Threats
- If the scenario we play calls for it, I could see using this one.

6. Below the darkness
- I like this one a lot. Also, Extra XP! Though we'd probably have to see what these elite affixes actually do before making that call early on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
cleardave wrote:
Belsamoreth wrote:

I would look at that card and just play it as is; you're electing to bypass your guaranteed 4 movement to roll 2 dice for Move each turn, and choosing which to use.

Dice being what they are, you'll probably average out a 3-4 every turn, with some turns giving you a whopping 6 to move, and some a 1-2.

It still works fine that way, and of course, because this isn't a "tournament" game, all these optional rules are there for you to season your experience to your own taste.

You could also play it as a "Choose either the result of a 1D6 or 4 as your movement for this round."

The problem I see with fixed movement is how would you get grit? Rolling fir movement gives you about 1 grit every 6 turns (from rolling 1s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FencePost wrote:
But again I would probably play a variant where if you took fire damage or something or spent too long in Targa Plateau that it could get dangerous. (if creature/otherworld rules don't already account for that)

The Targa plateau does do damage to you when you roll a 1 for movement, but you get a grit back on a 1 or 2. So the Targa Plateau inherently deals you damage from the cold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:
The problem I see with fixed movement is how would you get grit? Rolling fir movement gives you about 1 grit every 6 turns (from rolling 1s).

The rulebook clearly states that you have to role a die anyway for other purposes, most notably for obtaining grit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
KevBelisle wrote:

The rulebook clearly states that you have to role a die anyway for other purposes, most notably for obtaining grit.

Oops. Don't plan on using that rule so skipped over that bit

That negates the advantage of having one less die to roll though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Irons
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I'd only use this optional rule when not in combat if at all as movement is less important then. Also thematically gives the idea of resting and regrouping a bit.

2) Sure, sounds like it might turn up the difficulty a bit, as well as add a bit more theme.

3) By itself, it makes campaigns a bit rougher for a board game. I feel like I'd do a similar thing like Space Alert where if KOs kill, you gain more XP based on your level.

4) Yep, dynamite should be dangerous. Keep it on your left leg so it's less likely to be hit.

5) Yes, themed mission are cool!

6) It add some despair for theme as well as ups the difficulty. Yes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark King
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
2 and 6 from the start for me.

I might be tempted by perma-death in a standalone game but only if the game isn't going to run too long (I don't like games where a player can be sidelined all afternoon if they're unlucky).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.