Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

This message is in part inspired by a plea made by Tom Vasel to express your positive feelings about reviewers/podcasters publicly. I've been meaning to do this for some time, but it's not something that I'm very comfortable with, but I feel needed to be done.

I would just like to shoot out a quick and heartfelt "Thank you!" to all these people for the content they produce. I listen to a lot of board game related media, thanks to this I have a gaming collection that I am proud of, that I enjoy playing all the time with my friends and family. Listening to all this media content has made me feel a part of greater community as well, just listening to some podcasts really helped me get through some hard days easier.

So here goes nothing, in no particular order.

Thank you ...
Chris, Jamie, Tony, Steve and Brian of the Secret Cabal podcast
Geoff and Ryan of the Ludology podcast
Flip, Chris, Professor Laserbooks, Jared, Nikki, Ben and Roger of the Flip the Table podcast
Steve, Mark and Greg of the Boardgame Pirates podcast
Lance of UndeadViking
Joel of DriveThruReview
Marco of Marcowargamer
Richard and Jen of Rahdo Runs Through
Cheryl and Glen of Couple versus Cardboard
Rodney of Watch It Played
Rick of Box of Delights
Ryan, Scott, Tom, Sam, Zee, Barry, Dan and Iain of Dice Tower Video
Bart "The Chief", Judd and Greg of HAMTAG
Eric, Brian, Mary, Moritz and all of the people that ever had a segment on the Dice Tower Audio podcast
All the people that ever had a segment on Boardgame Breakfast
Quinns, Paul, Matt and Brendan of Shut Up & Sit Down
Kaja and Joanna of Starlit Citadel
Cody, Shawn, Zac, Kylee, Justin, Chase and all the other people of The Discriminating Gamer
Michael of MiWi's Video Walkthroughs
Paul of The Untitled Flash-Based Review... Thing

P.S.: I probably forgot a few and will be editing this list some more as I remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A toast to all!thumbsup

+ Kaja and Joanna of Starlit Citadel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just curious. Where and in what context did Tom make this request?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oneoldgamer wrote:
I'm just curious. Where and in what context did Tom make this request?

Boardgame Breakfast - Episode 35: Be an Encourager

Like I've already mentioned, it was not because of Tom's stance that I decided to finally pull the trigger. I've been meaning to do it for some time, that was just the last drop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all above! Your knowledge and enthusiasm has brought me (and many others) into this fantastic hobby! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Nick, Sam, and Zee on the Dice Tower. I have bought games that I now enjoy because of you (and not bought some games as well).

Rodney, I've only watched the Dead of Winter play-thru so far, but you nudged me into preordering it, and I will definitely watch more of your stuff from now on (unless I don't like Dead of Winter, in which I'll blame you for everything wrong in my life )

Rahdo, I've watched several of your play-thrus, and though we have very different tastes (I'll try not to hold that against you ), you have helped me pull the trigger on some games (Dark Horse and Galaxy Defenders) and not (all those Euros! ).

I'm not thanking Tom, though (he asked us not to).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Prediction - this will backfire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Landstander wrote:
Why you gotta hate?

Pete (likes some reviewers more than others, but is thankful to all of them)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hearty thank yous to Richard and Jen (Rahdo Runs Through), Rick (Box of Delights), Tim and Carmen (GreyElephant Gaming), and Johannes (A Lonesome Gamer)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree with the premise. I spend most of my work days and commutes listening to boardgame and history podcasts. Too many to list, but I listen to most of the ones putting out current content.

Honestly, I wonder how I made it thru my workdays before discovering podcasts! And I can't imagine being in this hobby without having all the video and written reviews that help us all part with our hard earned money in MOAR GAMES!

Thanks all that take the time and effort to do what you do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to all who were mentioned. I have read some of you, watched some of you, and listened to some of you. One person may not influence me enough to buy a game, but if that one person is enthusiastic enough, they get my attention. However a concensus among a few of you will take me far enough down the line, if I already had an interest, to think seriously about a buy.

Your reviews and comments, good and bad, are always helpful. Thank you for taking the time (and the guts) to publicly share your opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely appreciate EVERYONE who takes the time to do these reviews, tutorials and run-throughs. I'd like to add one other that I've just recently found.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/156125/shelf-board-games-v...

Michael and his "Off The Shelf" video review series are simply astounding in terms of clarity, detail and completeness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
4 HOGS
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mb
What a great topic! A big thumbs up to all podcasters and reviewers for their hard work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Oxtoby
Australia
Fairfield
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you to the people already mentioned, and also great written reviewers like
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Rudolph
Canada
Langdon
Alberta
flag msg tools
GIR, quickly, ride the pig!
badge
Yaaaaaay! I don't know what you just said!
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the numbers above should go Michael Wißner for MiWi's Video Walkthroughs which have caused me to run out and a number of games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to throw in for

Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

and

Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks very much for all the work you guys put into the your reviews!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
plezercruz wrote:
Landstander wrote:
Why you gotta hate?

Not a matter of hating bro. More that any time reviewers are brought up, threads turn ugly eventually. Since this thread specifically tried to be positive, if it goes the way most of these types go, it will backfire. So far, it's been pretty good. So it looks like I might be wrong (for once...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
Landstander wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
Landstander wrote:
Why you gotta hate?

Not a matter of hating bro. More that any time reviewers are brought up, threads turn ugly eventually. Since this thread specifically tried to be positive, if it goes the way most of these types go, it will backfire. So far, it's been pretty good. So it looks like I might be wrong (for once...).

Yeah, well, I think all of these guys are just a bunch of ego driven, opinionated blowhards who need to get a life and learn to have a clue about what makes a good game!!!

Sorry, I just didn't want Scott to break his perfect record at being right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to thank all of those people who just write reviews on the geek and so are mostly under the radar of the masses. Thank you.

And an extra thank you to all those of you who write critical reviews and point out the problems a game has!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Great post, Andrew! I thank the reviewers mentioned above and you for posting about it! Cheers! :-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Rob
United States
Belpre
Ohio
flag msg tools
Games need more Orange!
badge
I'm bigger than you, no, really, I probably am...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all of the people that put in the time and effort to share their opinions and experience with us. Thank you for helping to better our hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdiel Xordium
msg tools
mbmb
I'm thankful for reviewers who eloquently and clearly express both their review criteria and how a game measures up to that criteria.

I'm thankful for efficient reviewers who don't bog down their reviews with long winded videos or ramble on for paragraph after paragraph and assume a plethora of pictures will make up for the tedium.

I'm thankful for reviewers who actually think about the game and what the designer is trying to do and say instead of spitting out knee-jerk emotional responses, and who never say, "I can't really say way I [like/don't like] this game; I just do!"

I'm thankful for reviewers that can look beyond the components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not thanking any of them! Just thinking about how much money I would have saved without listening to them makes my stomach churn. Financial vampires by proxy, they are. I'm especially not thanking Quinns & Paul of SUSD, they're the worst of the lot, with their humor and intelligence working in tandem to drain my funds like some coin-starved coven of nosferatu (or is it nosferati? but I digress). Sickening!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
+1! Thanks to all reviewers! I enjoyed Tom's segment, and I encourage everybody to listen to it - it's at about 23.50 in the video Andrew linked.

(And well, I do have an idea about what he's talking about, as I guess it's partly my fault... cry)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abdiel wrote:
I'm thankful for reviewers who eloquently and clearly express both their review criteria and how a game measures up to that criteria.

I'm thankful for efficient reviewers who don't bog down their reviews with long winded videos or ramble on for paragraph after paragraph and assume a plethora of pictures will make up for the tedium.

I'm thankful for reviewers who actually think about the game and what the designer is trying to do and say instead of spitting out knee-jerk emotional responses, and who never say, "I can't really say way I [like/don't like] this game; I just do!"

I'm thankful for reviewers that can look beyond the components.

I am thankful for ALL the people who spend a great deal of their personal time trying to help us in the board gaming community with video reviews and written reviews and other commentary related to board gaming, despite the fact that they get little in return for it (other than an occasional, and evidently sometimes backhanded, "thanks").

I wouldn't limit that appreciation to only those that review things the way I like them, whether I chose to watch/read those other videos or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.