Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With all the talk about CO2 emissions and carbon markets, it seems that this would make an awfully interesting expansion or spin off for Power Grid...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
What did you have in mind? Raising the costs of coal, oil, and garbage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think something rather more complicated (and interesting).

Differentiate dirty fuels from clean fuels. Everyone gets X amount of dirty fuel credits each round. You may not burn more units of dirty fuel than you have available credits. Credits do not carry over from round to round, however you may sell your credits to other players for money so that they may burn more dirty fuel than they have credits for.

Over the course of the game the emissions standards get more stringent and each players' available credits go down (this could be done in conjunction with the different steps).

This would make renewables more attractive as you can earn extra money by selling your unused credits to other players.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arguably it already exists in the persona of "Industrial Waste".

I suppose you could add an equivalent module in which players earn black marks based on how many cities they are firing up using coal, oil, and perhaps garbage, and need to in some way mitigate it. Here's an idea - every turn you measure how many cities collectively have used coal, oil and garbage. If the number is sufficiently high, then the first one or two commdities replenished are place in the high-cost section rather than working from the low end down. This would raise the cost of all such commodities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Winds of Change is a game where you trade emission rights (CO2 permits) while developing the economic power of your cities (green or otherwise), all the while affecting the overall world status.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Eldard wrote:

No, some kind of system where you try to maximize your energy production (current game) while at the same time either making additional money from a carbon market or trying to stay within treaty limits. You could have plants shut down by the government for exceeding limits, etc. Could be really interesting I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
There should also be some sort of political fallout for going nuclear, with the possibility of a station going into meltdown.

Sort of depends which country you are playing or which government is in power really doesn't it? Some are pro-nuke, some are not.

MrSkeletor wrote:
You would have to also come up with something 'bad' for wind power, to bring it into line with the rest.

The parrots Frank, the parrots! Remember why that windfarm in Victoria was knocked back. It was going to kill parrots (no this is not a joke).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Adding carbon limits would add a barter/trade function to the game -- you get so many credits each turn and coal and oil use burns them up at different rates, perhaps at escalating rates as the game proceeds through the steps.

No real need to change how nukes and wind work -- their value would increase since you could use the saved credits as a source of cash from other players. Would make for far more interesting auctions! Although frankly, you'd need to add bigger wind/solar cards as you need to have three big generators to even be in the running to win the game.

Last night I won using nothing but oil, which surprised me. Our four players were evenly distributed across the five plant types, so there was virtually no penalty for fuel purchase. This rule variant could make that far less likely to occur.

Please note that the carbon credits rule would not apply to the US map (oh my).

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robartin wrote:
Bill Eldard wrote:

No, some kind of system where you try to maximize your energy production (current game) while at the same time either making additional money from a carbon market or trying to stay within treaty limits. You could have plants shut down by the government for exceeding limits, etc. Could be really interesting I think.

A social dynamic (i.e. protesters, etc) would make for solid gameplay as well. I'm surprised that Friese didn't incorporate that into the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.