Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Powers
United States
Triangle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to remember some earlier thread saying that US Irregulars do not go to casualties even though a bullet under 3.3.3 Attack says: CASUALTIES: Place any US pieces removed by Attack into the
Casualties box.

I a reading the cards in the playbook, and found this:
110. No Contact VNAU 1964
Respite: Place 2 Casualties onto the map. All Rangers and Irregulars
Underground.
Charlie bugs out: Flip all VC and NVA Guerrillas Underground.
Tip. The unshaded text allows selection of any 2 pieces from the
Casualties box—Troops, Irregulars, or Bases—and their placement
into any map spaces where they may stack (1.4.2).
Background. A key military tactic is to find and fix the enemy to
eliminate him. In general, the VC and NVA had superior tactical
intelligence on the location of COIN forces and, when faced with
superior numbers, would often avoid contact.

The card indicates to take irregualars out of casualties.

Was this rule changed? I downloaded the rules on 07-07-14, so I may not have the most up to date version.

Really looking forward to this one!

Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bpowers wrote:
I seem to remember some earlier thread saying that US Irregulars do not go to casualties even though a bullet under 3.3.3 Attack says...

Your assessment that follows is correct: Irregulars DO go to the Casualties box. The rule has not changed.

Where the confusion arose in that other thread was whether or not Irregulars go from the Casualties Box to Out of Play. (The answer being "not during normal play, but events override the rules per 5.1.1").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Irregulars can definitely become Casualties. The rules for combat-type actions say so, and several cards (in the Playbook) have text explicitly sending U.S. Irregulars to the Casualty box.

I think the confusion is that U.S. pieces can be in one of three places when they are not on the map: Casualty, Available, or Out of Play. U.S. Troops (cubes) can be in all three locations, but U.S. Irregulars (hexagons) can only be in Casualty or Available--they cannot be Out of Play (except under special circumstances).

Casualty and Out of Play sound like they could mean the same thing, but in this game they are very distinct states, with "Casualty" really a sort of temporary limbo.

--Beaten to it!--

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.