2 Posts

Wiz-War (eighth edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Some critiques: New Rules, Chaos, and VideoGame-ness rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
cobbs c
msg tools
mb
Hey guys, I'm just going to rant a bit about my thoughts over the play sessions I've had with Wiz-War.

I play without schools of magic, activated magic cards counting against hand size, items counting against hand size, magic being used for speed (makes extra movement spaces better than everything), etc.

Magic schools makes the game take forever to set up and tear down - you have to organize all the cards. Not to mention the cards aren't balanced with schools in mind. Some schools get really powerful stuff and others don't, or the ratio of powerful stuff to lackluster cards isn't even.

Furthermore, the 'energy' on the bottom of the cards causes confusion constantly. It's easy to get, but it is unintuitive. Often, new players think that indicates the energy the card/spell has - 3 on the bottom means it'll deal 3 damage. But nope, I have to tell them "you have to throw away a card with a number value on the bottom", and they say "why would I do that, they are good cards too". It's why I don't like this feature. It's not really 'hand management' because what you get is too random, and there are too many different spells to make it balanced.
What I mean is some powerful spells have an optional use - to be used as energy. But some crappy cards don't have this ability. Making them much worse. Things like fog and mist body, which are often not useful, can't even be used as energy. Why don't all cards just have an optional use as an energy card?

I've played with the rule "if the card doesn't have energy on the bottom, then you can roll a D4 dice to use the energy rolled on the dice." This makes the crappy cards at least useful in a different way.

I've also made energy cards used for movement half as effective - 6 energy lets you move 3 more spaces. This is still overpowered and can easily win you the game, as the maps are small and 3 spots covers 1/4 a board.

Often I feel a more elegant design would be to give players basic number cards, and allow them to be spent to perform actions that are in a general open pool. Thinking about just playing with a normal deck of cards, with aces to sixes, and using those as energy. And going from there. Or at least creating a simplified card deck with limited, but emergent, options. The Wiz-War cards seem too predefined as to what you can do, often making it feel like your actions are arbitrary.

I've heard this game compared to a deathmatch videogame. Before I play, I get hyped for this reason. But when you play, you realize the attacks you can perform are random, defined by your hand. Videogames are not like this. The movement options you have are dedicated randomly by your hand. Videogames are not like this.

The problem, I think, is that there are too many spells and they all do the same thing in different ways. So you never feel 'armed', you just feel like you're using cheap random powerups instead. Like in Mario Kart, except there are 150-200 random items you can get, instead of the 10~ available in mario kart.

I understand that's part of the charm.

Anyways, that's the end of my rant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cobbs c
msg tools
mb
Still share many of these feelings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.