Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark J
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm getting very close to having my latest project ready for play-testing, which leads me to wonder ...

When someone posts on here, what volume of response are you getting? I mean, are you getting 3 people interested in play-testing your game, or 3,000? I suppose the response might vary depending on the nature of the game, but rather than get into the details of my game, I was hoping to ask a general question so any answer will be useful to as many people as possible.

Also, as this forum is in English, are most respondents from the U.S.? UK? Canada? Australia? How many from elsewhere in the world?

In my case, print-and-play seems impractical so I was expecting to mail out prototypes. Does that make a difference to responses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Chambers
Australia
SALISBURY NORTH
South Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Dunno, but I would likely feature it on my show. (See thread re "Board Game Crash Test Dummies).

I put it up many hours ago, and your thread is the first to dislodge it from its top spot, so I'm guessing the volume here is very low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If your game enters a BGG contest you'll receive more feedback for players and other designers.

Of course if you send a prototipe to testers you'll receive more feedback than if only have a print&play version.

I usually publish games as pnp downloadable versions (usually in spanish) and feedback is limited. Sometimes very limited. But all reviews (one, ten, one hundred...) are rewarding.

I like to test other designer's prototipes, but I'm spanish and english is not my first language, so perhaps my comments are not as accurate as other english player.

At last, each player likes a type of game. I'm playing solo games now, for example. About thematic, I prefer horror/sci-fi games too.

I think I've already said too much about nothing at all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jonydude wrote:
Dunno, but I would likely feature it on my show. (See thread re "Board Game Crash Test Dummies).

I put it up many hours ago, and your thread is the first to dislodge it from its top spot, so I'm guessing the volume here is very low.

Yes, I read your thread and when I get there I'd be happy to talk to you.

But every time I think my game is just about ready for play-testing, I say to myself, "Well, this rule could use a little tweaking ..." :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
eximeno wrote:
If your game enters a BGG contest you'll receive more feedback for players and other designers.

Of course if you send a prototipe to testers you'll receive more feedback than if only have a print&play version.

I usually publish games as pnp downloadable versions (usually in spanish) and feedback is limited. Sometimes very limited. But all reviews (one, ten, one hundred...) are rewarding.

I like to test other designer's prototipes, but I'm spanish and english is not my first language, so perhaps my comments are not as accurate as other english player.

At last, each player likes a type of game. I'm playing solo games now, for example. About thematic, I prefer horror/sci-fi games too.

I think I've already said too much about nothing at all

Sure. One play-tester who gives feedback is way better than zero, right?

Your English seems pretty good from this post. But then for all I know you may have spent hours carefully editing and re-editing and going back and forth to a dictionary. :-)

Just so I don't sound like I'm trying to be mysterious: My game is a character-based game of searching for lost cities and treasures. No claim that the theme is incredibly original, but I worked very hard on giving the game a lot of flavor so that it plays more like a story than a math problem. There are over 50 different things a player can do or have done to him in a turn. But as I say, I didn't want to get into a discussion of my game on this thread, I'll get to that when I'm ready to actually solicit play-testers. I was trying to keep this as a general question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.