Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Dork
United States
Silver Spring
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Zombicide: Season 1 and 2 from Kickstarter so I have TOO MUCH stuff. I was wondering if there was a method or suggested way to consolidate the search decks. I don't want to just put everything lumped together cause that feels lazy and probably wouldn't see half of the weapons in there. Maybe put more/all the AHHHs in it, a few variety of weapons, and less duplicates? I'm afraid to add too many molotov ingredients cause then they lose all their challenge.

tl;dr anyone know of a good, tidy search deck content ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't believe it was recommended that you mix all the search decks together.

Well, you mix ToxicMall into either S1 search deck, or S2 : Prison search deck. But we never do more than that because I don't want to mess up the ratio of item/food/weapons.

The only additional things I do to the decks is add any "ultra reds" we want to use.

~Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took out the starting weapons and pimp weapons from each deck, and then mixed them all together. I like having a large deck that we will never get through, it makes each game that much more different. And with such a large deck, it is very unlikely that too many molotov ingredients will show up. Seeing a rare weapon makes it that much more special in a game when it finally makes an appearance, especially the super rare weapons like Ross' Bowling Ball or Will's Comet Launcher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
I took out the starting weapons and pimp weapons from each deck, and then mixed them all together. I like having a large deck that we will never get through, it makes each game that much more different. And with such a large deck, it is very unlikely that too many molotov ingredients will show up. Seeing a rare weapon makes it that much more special in a game when it finally makes an appearance, especially the super rare weapons like Ross' Bowling Ball or Will's Comet Launcher.

I play with Season 2 + All the extra TCM cards. I've yet to see Will's Comet Launcher come in game. We never go through the whole deck (or even close) and I've never seen more than 1 molotov in game.

I don't see anything you mentioned as a negative with having a single deck. On the flipside, piling all the decks together really nerfs the crap out of certain weapons because it's harder to find the matching set.

I have seen someone combine the decks while keeping the ratio's about the same. I thought it was a thread on the geek here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
Scroll down to the last couple of posts which are the final cut for the deck pruning. The first post was more of an experiment, but then it got revised.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1199688/deck-pruning

Basicaly i went through all 3 decks, calculated the ratios of melee to ranged, to food and extras, removed most of the doubles of weapons, then added a few at certain strengths to "average" out the deck again at nearly the exact same ratios.

It makes for a slimmed down 90-ish card deck, with a nice veriety of weapons, without being over/under powered or missing out on any one item.Ive played about 10 times with these decks, on all different maps, and scenarios, and it really does add the veriety in weapons, and spawns. it Keeps the game challenging without making it impossible, and removed a lot of the "filler" and duplicate cards from each expansion.

the same was done for the spawn deck

Hope it helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Leite
Brazil
Campinas / Atibaia
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My deck (usually) is:

All cards form PO
All cards form TCM (including pans see below)
2 promo cards (the launcher, and the ball)
unique cards from s1 (like: goalie mask, the machetes the crowbar, one more gasoline (regarding the flamethrower)

I Also changed my starter equipament.

I pick: a pistol, fireaxe, hammer, a night stick, 2 pans I did this because I've enjoy so much to starting with just a pan xD

also I included every extra pan, nightstick on the deck to reduce the effectiveness of the deck. and include include some arrrgh cards to make the search a little bit more risky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Balanced + balanced = balanced. And, if that formula doesn't hold and it really isn't balanced, then having everything means that it's big enough that it's random, especially for those of us who don't search more than is necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
Balanced + balanced = balanced. And, if that formula doesn't hold and it really isn't balanced, then having everything means that it's big enough that it's random, especially for those of us who don't search more than is necessary.

Ummm sorry but that's a horrible conclusion and completely false in terms of logic.

Why on earth would you think just because two things are balanced in isolation that they'd be balanced if you mix them together?

The percentage of drawing a run of junk cards increases so the chances of losing because of bad luck near the beginning of the game increases. Also, the chances of finding certain matches for a dual wield weapon will change drastically if you just throw the decks together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
Jeff, thats not exactly true... While the statement of the deck itself remains balanced holds SOME weight, it falls short when you consider how it affect other aspects of the game.

Without taking probability into account, here is an extremely simplified example:

City Blocks: Say a normal deck is 70 cards. 6 of that is food, AND say you shuffled terribly and all 6 food were on the bottom. You would have to search a maximum of 11 times (with 6 heroes) to find what you need. 11 searches also means 11 zombie activations/turns.

Take the same scenario, double the deck to 140 cards. Toss in 6 more objective cards and shuffle terribly again putting food at the bottom. You now have 22 searches to get your objective.. 22 searches means 22 activations/spawns

Doesnt sound like a problem, but thats actualy where the problem lies. As we know, the game ramps up in difficulty towards the end when players enter orange/red.

Regular weapons were designed to be effective at yellow/orange levels of the game and become slightly underpowered at red for more then a handfull of rounds. This design allows the "game" to overpower/overrun the heros eventually in order for the game to end.

Combining the deck doesnt make the weapons any more effective while at red, but by doubling the spawns/activations you are going to play double, or tripple the number of turns in red due to the early game playing out the same, which in turn will throw the game off balance by you bring overrun easier.

THATS the whole issue about combining S1 and S2 decks.

Of course, using TCM UltraRed and Zombivore mode changes that dynamic in the game. They balance being in red, by giving you rediculously over powered weapons that can kill 20 zombies in a single roll.. if you plan to add UR weapons to the deck, then combining decks isnt a problem because you can handle Red just fine (asuming you find the UR weapons when you get near red level)

I think a lot of players dont use the UR or zombivor, and if thats the case, then pruning (by removing a large number of duplicate weapons) the deck to a size compareable to the original season is nessasary to keep gameplay balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.