Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing the Missions with a huge ship present, what do you guys do? Do you allow Biggs to draw fire away from the huge ships or not?

I've seen this question coming up in these forums before and everybody seems to agree, that no, Biggs ability doesn't apply to huge ships because it's said so in the rules somewhere.

That somewhere is the Epic Tournament Rules which raises this question: Do Tournament rules apply to Missions?

I used to think why not. "Coin toss initiative", "Asteroids not at range 1 of each others". Those are tournament rules I've incorporated to Missions so naturally Biggs and Navigator restrictions went right in too.

But now they posted up some new rules about energy. Huge ships starts missions with 0 energy (as we've been playing all along) but with tournament rules they start with full energy. That to me seems like an official statement saying you can't use tournament rules with missions.

So I don't know what to do with Biggs now. Mission H1 feels hard enough even without the Biggs, but having Biggs ducking behind the transport, obstructed, drawing fire away from it seems outright broken.

I wonder what the playtesters did. What do you do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't allow Biggs to draw fire from Huge ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:
When playing the Missions with a huge ship present, what do you guys do? Do you allow Biggs to draw fire away from the huge ships or not?

I've seen this question coming up in these forums before and everybody seems to agree, that no, Biggs ability doesn't apply to huge ships because it's said so in the rules somewhere.

That somewhere is the Epic Tournament Rules which raises this question: Do Tournament rules apply to Missions?

I used to think why not. "Coin toss initiative", "Asteroids not at range 1 of each others". Those are tournament rules I've incorporated to Missions so naturally Biggs and Navigator restrictions went right in too.

But now they posted up some new rules about energy. Huge ships starts missions with 0 energy (as we've been playing all along) but with tournament rules they start with full energy. That to me seems like an official statement saying you can't use tournament rules with missions.

So I don't know what to do with Biggs now. Mission H1 feels hard enough even without the Biggs, but having Biggs ducking behind the transport, obstructed, drawing fire away from it seems outright broken.

Since missions are generally "casual," I think FFG has kind of let it slide and assumes players will use common sense and/or will house rule as necessary. I know that's not a good excuse, but I think it's safe to generally follow the tournament rules unless stated otherwise (like the new ruling for starting tournaments at full energy, which seems to be a "fix" for getting tournament matches up and running a little quicker rather than having several turns of slow-playing to charge up).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think logically, it wouldn't make sense for biggs to be able to cover a huge ship. If his ability comes from him purposely acting as a shield for a fellow pilot, it seems unlikely that he can cover an entire huge ship at a time. Somehow zooming around the Tantive to absorb shots from both sides? Doesn't make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came across the same situation. Playing the first mission of the campaign seems nearly impossible with Biggs hiding behind the transport and the transport having the EM emitter equipped. My opponent also had a stealth device and r2-f2 equipped on Biggs. That means that I was often being forced to fire at Biggs with him rolling seven (eight at range 3) evade dice. Combinations like that just seem a little broken. I know it's not explicitly mentioned in the campaign rules, and I know it's mentioned in the rules for tournament play,(that Biggs can't protect the transport) but it would be nice to have an official word from FFG.

Also, does cinematic play, count as epic play? Even though the rules don't explicitly say the campaign is cinematic play, I assume it is. So does cinematic play fall under epic play rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis
Japan
tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:

The fundamental difference is that epic tournament rules are for one game only, while the campaign is won in 3 games. In addition, there are no mines in the tournament and the map is double size than that for the missions. Placing of the mines and proper use is half (if not more) the mission for the empire player. Biggs can protect you from fire from the Imperial ships, but can do squat about the mines if you keep him next to the transport. In which case, the empire player should focus on keeping control of the mines and pick off any of the other ships that are not covered by Biggs (since he is busy flying behind the transport). Any dead unique ships from the first mission can only be non unique ships in the rest of the missions, and that's a major problem in the campaign setup for the rebels.

These are a few tips, I wont say more because I am in the campaign with Ben at the moment and I want to play the Empire next.
I don't want to give away my strategy just yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bethany Creaser
United States
Derby Line
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission or not, I believe (and could be mistaken) that the Huge ships fit the Epic play rules. As such, Biggs could only defend small and large base ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis
Japan
tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zadularia wrote:
Mission or not, I believe (and could be mistaken) that the Huge ships fit the Epic play rules. As such, Biggs could only defend small and large base ships.

No they dont. FFG has already made the distiguish between Cinematic Play and Epic Rules in the latest FAQ. So untill there is a new FAQ about Biggs, he can defend Huge ships in Cinematic play.

Also, having fielded and played against Biggs in Cinematic I can say there is no balance problem with him in the missions. In fact, although I had him in the roster I did not even field him beyond the first mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.