Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmb

One does not simply explain a hobbit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt Jackson even read the book. His creatures have more to do with D&D than Tolkien's Middle-Earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Lets go Celts!
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy them for the movies they are, not the book they aren't. At least they share more in common with book than World War Z (which would make an awesome HBO-type show).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
Those movies take those stale old Tolkien bore-fests and turn them up to 11 and RIP THE KNOB OFF. Most people who say otherwise would likely never be pleased with any rendition.

Only complaint--not enough Mecha-Nazgul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Now I'm not completely sure, but I think that particular Hobbit murdered his naggy wife with a ball-peen hammer, several years after leaving the Wernham Hogg Paper Corp. filled with stifled hopes and ambitions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeRm! wrote:
I enjoy them for the movies they are, not the book they aren't. At least they share more in common with book than World War Z (which would make an awesome HBO-type show).

Ken Burns presents "World War Z"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how many, if any of the respondents need the help, but this is one of those topics that mimics and mocks another.

Please explain this habit to me

Or have I been done in by a double fly by?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bltzlfsk wrote:
I don't know how many, if any of the respondents need the help, but this is one of those topics that mimics and mocks another.

Please explain this habit to me

Or have I been done in by a double fly by?

You're new here, aren't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't enjoyed either of the Hobbit films.

I did quite enjoy the LOTR trilogy.

I think if Jackson would have made a single Hobbit movie it would have turned out alright.

Perhaps in the future someone will edit the three Hobbit movies down to 90 minutes or so and it will be watchable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

I think if Jackson would have made a single Hobbit movie it would have turned out alright.

Perhaps in the future someone will edit the three Hobbit movies down to 90 minutes or so and it will be watchable.

YES!! There is absolutely no reason that the Hobbit needed to be three movies. He's just trying to squeeze as much money out of it as he possibly can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

I think there is too much in the book for one movie. That animated movie did an alright attempt, but it would be better as two movies.

I liked the first Hobbit movie. It wasn't as good as any of the LotR movies, but I appreciated what Peter Jackson was trying to do. Desolation of Smaug, though, felt too much like a Disney movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
I doubt Jackson even read the book. His creatures have more to do with D&D than Tolkien's Middle-Earth.

I'm pretty sure he has read the book. He's a huge Tolkien fan. But I agree about the second part. The making of the Hobbit films is lacking quality. I still enjoyed the Hobbit films, but they are not even close to the Lord of the Rings.

2 movies would have been plenty.
If you read the book and you don't take more than about 100 seconds per page, you will finish the book in less time than watching the movies!
Of course, there's stuff in the movies that are missing from the book, but that's because Tolkien hadn't written about them yet until 20 years later.
It would have been strange if Legolas wasn't in the films, because he is the son of Thranduil. (but there may be too much Legolas in the films)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm OK with the first two Hobbit movies introducing some of the bigger happenings that were off-stage in The Hobbit, and explained in more detail in LOTR (and in the LOTR appendices).

What really bugs me is the frequent resort to having the dwarves (and elves) etc ride avalanches, collapsing mine, piles of gold down a couple of hundred feet while keeping their feet, still able to swing swords axes and the like, and to land at the bottom of the pile in one piece. There was some of that in the LOTR movies, but a lot more here. That makes these feel like clips from a video game. A bad video game.

And I don't like how Jackson has taken practically every scene and made it into a BATTLE scene. Like the escape from the elven castle in the barrels. A sly move by Bilbo in the book, but a full-on battle (replete with Elves riding barrels thru rapids and not even getting damp, let alone being dashed on the rocks) in the movie. Blah.

Also, there is way too little of Bilbo Baggins (remember him?) in these movies.

Some of the scene between Bilbo and Sherlock Holmes Smaug was pretty good (a rare place where Jackson used some Tolkien dialogue). But overall, the first one was a mild disappointment and the second a MASSIVE disappointment. I'll go see the third, but I'm not confident.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
Now I'm not completely sure, but I think that particular Hobbit murdered his naggy wife with a ball-peen hammer, several years after leaving the Wernham Hogg Paper Corp. filled with stifled hopes and ambitions

Unfortunately his high-functioning psychotic mate with the long coats and the crime-solving blog solved the crime and turned him in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
wifwendell wrote:
What really bugs me is the frequent resort to having the dwarves (and elves) etc ride avalanches, collapsing mine, piles of gold down a couple of hundred feet while keeping their feet, still able to swing swords axes and the like, and to land at the bottom of the pile in one piece. There was some of that in the LOTR movies, but a lot more here. That makes these feel like clips from a video game. A bad video game.

Bingo! Exactly.

Which makes me wonder if we are the demographic that they (the makers of the film) are even remotely interested in. Not ... even ... close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Capt_S wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Bingo! Exactly.

Which makes me wonder if we are the demographic that they (the makers of the film) are even remotely interested in. Not ... even ... close.

I kind of agree. The second one was awful in that respect but I did like the first one a lot, despite having a few similar scenes.

Somehow it worked much better for me in the first, probably because the action seemed less condensed in that one. I liked how Jackson took all that time for the Unexpected Party and for the departure from the Shire and some character building at the camps, the songs and all that.

In that context, a few action scenes, while cartoonish, were an ok change and made for good cinema. Not close to the book, but that was never the intent anyway and I am ok with that.

In the second, all this balance goes overboard and things get really, really stupid. And I really wanted to love this one because STEPHEN FRY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

Indeed! A flying red dragon in the hobbit, pffffft. Please! Tut tut. Show me where THAT came from! :hint: YOU CAN'T!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found this. It gives a reason why The Hobbit went wrong.
(Peter Jackson didn't really want to direct it.)
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-behind-the-scenes-features-tha...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
IT'S LIKE A TOLKIEN ENEMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anfauglir wrote:
I just found this. It gives a reason why The Hobbit went wrong.
(Peter Jackson didn't really want to direct it.)
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-behind-the-scenes-features-tha...

Eh, I have the extended version of the first movie and have watched the appendices. That article is leaving out a lot of context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldsin wrote:
In the second, all this balance goes overboard and things get really, really stupid. And I really wanted to love this one because STEPHEN FRY!

Apparently, the 'extended edition' of 'Desolation of Smaug' will add a whopping 25 minutes cut from the film - pushing the final result over 3 hours long, and apparently all the missing content is basically more of the conversation/dialog stuff.

I think that's really why these are filling a bit...'empty'...in the theaters. Jackson is filming with the same sort of action/dialog mix he's generally done, then cutting nearly all the non-action parts for the theatrical releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
oldsin wrote:

Apparently, the 'extended edition' of 'Desolation of Smaug' will add a whopping 25 minutes cut from the film - pushing the final result over 3 hours long, and apparently all the missing content is basically more of the conversation/dialog stuff.

I think that's really why these are filling a bit...'empty'...in the theaters. Jackson is filming with the same sort of action/dialog mix he's generally done, then cutting nearly all the non-action parts for the theatrical releases.

I´ll have to try these then. I am a big fan of the extended LotR movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldsin wrote:
XanderF wrote:
oldsin wrote:

I´ll have to try these then. I am a big fan of the extended LotR movies.

The extended version of The Unexpected Journey doesn't add much. There is some good dialog between Elrond and and Gandalf at Rivendell, but otherwise it is a bunch of comedy scenes that aren't very funny. Though, I find the extended version worth it just for the appendices.

I'll only watch the extended version of LotR. All other versions should be burned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.