Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Middleton
United States
Wise
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have some experience in art and have self-studied a lot in the fields of graphic design and typography. I thought I would critique the page a little because there are some really poor art choices from everything to the game's title on the mock-up box to the the stretch goals.

Here are a few things I've noticed:
Poorly executed and excessive use of drop-shadows and text outlines.
Low quality images.
Amateur-ish looking card art displayed in the .gif.
Font overkill, why use 4 or 5 fonts to do something that would look fine in 1 or 2?
Muddy colors, because there is a difference in a muddy color palette to add atmosphere. The Heroes of Normandie expansion kickstarter did the muddy, grungy look great but the page looks like a mish-mash of poorly picked colors instead of following a coherent theme or style.
Use of low quality textures.
Poor composition.

I am not trying to be a dick here, but as a person who looks at a lot of kickstarters it doesn't give me a lot of faith in the end product when I see poor examples of execution on the page. I mean no offense by this, but if you do further kickstarters it is just something to keep in mind. Potential backers do look at art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperor_nero wrote:
So I have some experience in art and have self-studied a lot in the fields of graphic design and typography. I thought I would critique the page a little because there are some really poor art choices from everything to the game's title on the mock-up box to the the stretch goals.

Low quality images.
Font overkill, why use 4 or 5 fonts to do something that would look fine in 1 or 2?
Muddy colors, because there is a difference in a muddy color palette to add atmosphere. The Heroes of Normandie expansion kickstarter did the muddy, grungy look great but the page looks like a mish-mash of poorly picked colors instead of following a coherent theme or style.
Poor composition.

I am not trying to be a dick here, but as a person who looks at a lot of kickstarters it doesn't give me a lot of faith in the end product when I see poor examples of execution on the page. I mean no offense by this, but if you do further kickstarters it is just something to keep in mind. Potential backers do look at art.

Hi Sam!

Thanks for your Comments! We take suggestions and critique very seriously and we're working very hard to do our best to put out the best possible product!

We have many different artists working on this Huge Project and perhaps because of a large differentiation between art styles you may see some conflicting views... and in a concentrated area such as Kickstarter, you're also going to see it All at one time in your face...

I'm not sure if you know this, but we're a brand new company doing our best with a limited budget and time and we put thousands of hours into what we do.

We are proud of our work and we fully stand behind our product and we fully stand behind our artwork!

Since the first kickstarter we have upgraded everything in the game and have gone above and beyond to make this the best game it can be! If you go and take a look at the original kickstarter, you'll see how far we've come. With each step we take, we grow as a team and as a company, And if you give us a chance, in time, we will grow to become even more Epic than we already are! But everything takes time.... nothing happens over night

We will do everything it takes to make the best game possible an we have some great and kind supporters (our backers) who have made it possible to create this game!

So for them, and for us, we work day in, and day out, to make Secrets of the Lost Tomb, the Best-Damn- Pulp-Action Adventure Board Game there is! I hope you give it a chance, because if you do, it may surprise you!

Either way, we appreciate your comments and we appreciate your feedback!

Thanks very much!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Middleton
United States
Wise
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbatarlis wrote:
Emperor_nero wrote:

Low quality images.
Poor composition.

Hi Sam!

Thanks for your Comments! We take suggestions and critique very seriously and we're working very hard to do our best to put out the best possible product!

We have many different artists working on this Huge Project and perhaps because of a large differentiation between art styles you may see some conflicting views... and in a concentrated area such as Kickstarter, you're also going to see it All at one time in your face...

I'm not sure if you know this, but we're a brand new company doing our best with a limited budget and time and we put thousands of hours into what we do.

We are proud of our work and we fully stand behind our product and we fully stand behind our artwork!

Since the first kickstarter we have upgraded everything in the game and have gone above and beyond to make this the best game it can be! If you go and take a look at the original kickstarter, you'll see how far we've come. With each step we take, we grow as a team and as a company, And if you give us a chance, in time, we will grow to become even more Epic than we already are! But everything takes time.... nothing happens over night

We will do everything it takes to make the best game possible an we have some great and kind supporters (our backers) who have made it possible to create this game!

So for them, and for us, we work day in, and day out, to make Secrets of the Lost Tomb, the Best-Damn- Pulp-Action Adventure Board Game there is! I hope you give it a chance, because if you do, it may surprise you!

Thanks very much!

Chris

I understand, and I assumed you were probably outsourcing the art to several different artists. The problem you mention in have a consistent style is something that has to be controlled during the project, but the art looking shoddy is something that can only be controlled by watching who you hire. There are some amazing artists around the internet who work as freelancers and could produce quality work for less than what a 'professional' artist offers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperor_nero wrote:
cbatarlis wrote:
Emperor_nero wrote:

Low quality images.
Poor composition.

Hi Sam!

Thanks very much!

Chris

I understand, and I assumed you were probably outsourcing the art to several different artists. The problem you mention in have a consistent style is something that has to be controlled during the project, but the art looking shoddy is something that can only be controlled by watching who you hire. There are some amazing artists around the internet who work as freelancers and could produce quality work for less than what a 'professional' artist offers.

Hey Sam!!!

Thanks for sharing your opinion! I would have to say that in my opinion as well as the feedback that we've gotten, the artwork is Thematic, Well placed, and fits well within the game! I truly love the artwork and styles and with hundreds of different pieces, over 120 Room Tiles, over 100 Creatures, 25 Characters, About 20 Boss Creatures, about 100 Items and Artifacts and So SO much more... for our First Ever game... I think the artwork is Excellent! We are a small team and a brand new game company making a huge production game with a limited budget. I hope you can appreciate the thousands of hours of work that goes into a project like this, and see the value within. I know we are not producing Shoddy work. We have our own style and we are trying to create the highest quality game components, artwork, as well as game play and mechanics.

I realize of course that Just like every other game company we can't please everyone... Just like some people don't like Davinci and others do... it's all about personal opinions and taste

Once again, I appreciate your feedback and the time it took to give

If you're going to Gencon, please stop by and see us in person! You can check out the Components there in the First Exposure Playtest Hall!

Thanks so much!

Chris Batarlis
EverythingEpicGames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.