Tim Jordan
United States
Saratoga
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Gang,

Just started in on the world of Legendary as a huge fan of deck builders, especially Ascension, and am having fun with Legendary - Villains as my starting point.

Here is my question:

If going strictly by gameplay mechanics, would mixing in the original game open up some interesting abilities and powers I haven't already seen in Villains? Do most of the heroes in Legendary have direct parallels in Villains (is Juggernaut, for example, identical functionally to the Hulk in regards to ally effects)?

I love variety and think mixing any ally set, with any commander, with any plot, and any adversaries (even if it could cause thematic weirdness in which the X-Men are both my allies and adversaries in a game) but would feel silly if I found out most of the Legendary Villains cards were just thematic reskins of the Legendary Heroes of the original game or that, other than unique titles, their respective 8 plots were near identical gameplay-wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they're very different. There can be only one Spider-Man, after all.

Clones? What do you mean, clones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're just starting out, I would play each of them separately a bit before mixing them together. The reason is there is a lot of stuff in each set and playing each one as listed a little bit first will give you a better grasp of how you want to mix them.

Then mix them It's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the best parts about this game is that the characters play very closely to their special abilities in the comics. I've played a tremendous amount of games from all expansions and everybody plays differently.

It is staggering when you think of how many different combinations you can put together. quite literally thousands.

Oftentimes I will play the same game setup throughout the evening using the same cards. The cards that flip over early will determine the direction I go in the game. So even though you play with the same cards, your experience could be very different each time.

So, in my opinion, thus far there is extremely little if any duplication.

If anything, Villians are a little harder to win with. And if you think about it, that makes sense too. How often in the comics do the Villians win? Not very.

Welcome to the game! Be careful, you might get addicted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Jordan
United States
Saratoga
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vikingbill71 wrote:
One of the best parts about this game is that the characters play very closely to their special abilities in the comics. I've played a tremendous amount of games from all expansions and everybody plays differently.

It is staggering when you think of how many different combinations you can put together. quite literally thousands.

Oftentimes I will play the same game setup throughout the evening using the same cards. The cards that flip over early will determine the direction I go in the game. So even though you play with the same cards, your experience could be very different each time.

So, in my opinion, thus far there is extremely little if any duplication.

If anything, Villians are a little harder to win with. And if you think about it, that makes sense too. How often in the comics do the Villians win? Not very.

Welcome to the game! Be careful, you might get addicted.

I am enjoying how they've taken a lot of the better Ascension aspects with a very light bit of Sentinels of the Multiverse. I mean all of the adversaries are essentially monsters in Ascension, usually a neat little death effect and some vps but not anything that will then get mixed into your deck of allies. I, and surely there are many examples out there, see the interworkings of the plot and Mastermind/Commander as a bit like streamlined Sentinels. Automated adversaries that could, if not careful, rip the rug from right under your feet if the players don't act in a somewhat coordinated manner.

Jacovis wrote:
If you're just starting out, I would play each of them separately a bit before mixing them together. The reason is there is a lot of stuff in each set and playing each one as listed a little bit first will give you a better grasp of how you want to mix them.

Then mix them It's awesome.

I hear ya. Mixing them up before you really get a feel what to expect from each adversary/hero/villain would mean you couldn't really appreciate how now having Juggernaught and Dr. Richards on the same team really switches stuff up (as a hypothetical example).

Already in Villains I've caught some trends in various allies' mechanics. Like how Kingpin loves those New Recruits and Venom is more than happy to give you a big boost in attack but often at the cost of screwing over the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you pick up regular Legendary, &/or its expansions, you'll not be seeing any "reskins".

Everyone is a completely different design. They may share some similarities, & of course the core mechanics are the same, but the Hulk plays like the Hulk, & The Juggernaut from Villains isn't just "The Hulk with the serial numbers filed off" to speak to your example.

The expansions in particular add a lot of new abilities, like Wall Crawl or Focus for example, which are bonus abilities on some cards in addition whatever superpower that card possesses. Those are new & have no analog in Villains at all (yet).

Core set is going to be closest to what you've seen already in terms of similarity, but as I say above, Villains was no "cut & paste" job of the regular Legendary, but all new character & stuff in their own right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Jordan
United States
Saratoga
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M00NSYLVER wrote:
If you pick up regular Legendary, &/or its expansions, you'll not be seeing any "reskins".

Everyone is a completely different design. They may share some similarities, & of course the core mechanics are the same, but the Hulk plays like the Hulk, & The Juggernaut from Villains isn't just "The Hulk with the serial numbers filed off" to speak to your example. :)

The expansions in particular add a lot of new abilities, like Wall Crawl or Focus for example, which are bonus abilities on some cards in addition whatever superpower that card possesses. Those are new & have no analog in Villains at all (yet).

Core set is going to be closest to what you've seen already in terms of similarity, but as I say above, Villains was no "cut & paste" job of the regular Legendary, but all new character & stuff in their own right. :)

Good to know. I will now purchase away without fear! At $30-60 a pop I didn't want to find out too late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The small boxes shouldn't be more than $20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
LordGek wrote:
Already in Villains I've caught some trends in various allies' mechanics. Like how Kingpin loves those New Recruits and Venom is more than happy to give you a big boost in attack but often at the cost of screwing over the other players.

The trick is finding the trends in how the Allies interact with each other.

Green Goblin/Electro are both powerful dodgers, and profit off of each other's dodging. (It backfires against the Adversary Wolverine, though...)

The "hunter-killer" group--Bullseye, Kraven, Sabertooth--pulls together pretty well. Bullseye's blue card that is +2 Combat and lets him potentially draw a card is arguably one of the best cards in the set. Combat and card-drawing is a big advantage. Kraven and Bullseye working together can pull off a lot of sneaky combat stuff between city spaces and "collecting" adversary groups.

Once you get the hang of it, that's when you have fun combining the sets to figure out the best Adversary/Hero combos. For instance, it seems like Kraven really wants to hang out with Storm and/or Blade, for instance...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
LordGek wrote:
Hey Gang,

Just started in on the world of Legendary as a huge fan of deck builders, especially Ascension, and am having fun with Legendary - Villains as my starting point.

Here is my question:

If going strictly by gameplay mechanics, would mixing in the original game open up some interesting abilities and powers I haven't already seen in Villains? Do most of the heroes in Legendary have direct parallels in Villains (is Juggernaut, for example, identical functionally to the Hulk in regards to ally effects)?

I love variety and think mixing any ally set, with any commander, with any plot, and any adversaries (even if it could cause thematic weirdness in which the X-Men are both my allies and adversaries in a game) but would feel silly if I found out most of the Legendary Villains cards were just thematic reskins of the Legendary Heroes of the original game or that, other than unique titles, their respective 8 plots were near identical gameplay-wise.

There aren't a lot of functionally identical cards that I could see.

Some characters have the same function. Like Mister fantastic, gambit and sabretooth are all support cards, Hulk the thing and wolverine are mostly for attack etc.

But identical? no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.