Marco Kaisth
United States
Princeton Junction
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a heavily thematic adventure game that has one person play a dungeon-master type. I would like there to be dice galore and character development over time, but I don't have a group steady enough to actually play the same game regularly.

This has lead me to Descent and Middle Earth Quest. Is Descent good enough to compete if we would only play 1-3 scenarios in a row max?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) really is what you want.

The scenarios are reasonably short and usually there are two parts forming a whole. You can develop characters over time, even keep them from scenario to scenario, and there is a lot of dice rolling, naturally.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both games, but it sounds like Descent might be more of what you're looking for.

MEQ has no dice, and characters only progress in-game, not between games.

In a Descent campaign, the heros and GM both progress as the campaign goes on. And it's perfectly fine to just do just one quest in a session. The game also works well for one-off adventures (not part of a campaign). The rulebook gives options for starting XP and wealth for everyone to spend before starting a quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.