Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
The next chapter I will be teaching my third year high school students (seniors in the USA) for my English Expressions class has to do with food. I've been wanting to incorporate a movie into my class for a while now--not just show--I want to create a lesson plan and have students pick up vocab, idioms, and grammar from the movie. So I'm looking for a food themed movie to show 40 seventeen year-olds. Currently I'm leaning towards Ratatouille.

Any other suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mitchell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes?

No, probably Ratatouille is a better bet. Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is probably a bit too quirky - maybe Charlie and the Chocolate Factory instead?

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Water for Chocolate. It is rated R though if that is an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
I've found lesson plans for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory online. They could be adapted, but the food topic seems to be a bit more narrow--if that makes any sense.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is a really good idea. I could maybe pull in the children's book for an activity too. I'm gonna run to our library and see if we have it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Night (1996) is a great foodie film. There is a bit of F-word action in it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
frumpish wrote:

Haven't heard of it. I'll check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
The best movie about food.

OK, it might be a little redundant...there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess a good 2nd.

French.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ANd 3rd...maybe second.

Bah, Chinese
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a movie that is kind of about food, but shows a lot of American eccentricities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Most of the list here @ http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/bestof/toplists/top.... (I also liked Tampopo.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just watching Jiro Dreams of Sushi tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife informs me this one is QUITE good (and only PG-13):

She also rather likes this one, too - although I had the impression it had some more adult-ish topics (it is rated R). And...well, it's more wine than food? Maybe that's okay, though...

MWChapel wrote:
If you want a movie that is kind of about food, but shows a lot of American eccentricities.

...building on that, while not generally food-related, this one heavily wine-related, so food goes along with that a bit, you've got...

(This one also only PG-13, and I have seen it - very good!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Trip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

I'm pretty sure one scene is going to prevent that from getting shown in school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess since this is an English class, Juzo Itami's Tampopo and Marco Ferreri's La Grande Bouffe are out (besides, maybe a bit too risque for a high school class).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
Big Night (1996) is a great foodie film. There is a bit of F-word action in it though.

\
Second this. It's a great movie. It stars Tony Shaloub being not Monk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Size Me

Babette's Feast

Something with Hannibal Lector? devil

The Wing or the Thigh

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Haven't seen it, but:

Chef
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
frumpish wrote:

Haven't heard of it. I'll check it out.

Don't bother.

I saw it in theaters with a group.

It's famous for such things as the actors giving a long melodramatic and impassioned speech in Spanish while the subtitles give a one word translation of the whole thing such as "No."

You'll get to see a young girl who promises she consent to get married when she finishes knitting her shawl which in scenes thereafter you see stretching over the wagon behind her, flowing ot the ground and dragging on the ground endlessly behind her.

You'll delight to a burning building blowing up around a young woman who naturally becomes naked in the process but is also unscathed. She also rescues a baby in the process and instantly begins ot nurse it even though she is presented as a young virgin. That really got to a companion going to medical school.

Picture lots of cliche and absurd symbolism. That is Como agua para chocolate in a nutshell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tampopo was the first one I thought of, too.

Seventeen year olds, you say? I LOVED this when I was that age:

Eating Raoul

The (brief bits of) nudity was part of the appeal, admittedly, but if you want a funny show with lots of English "idioms and expressions", you won't do much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

I'm pretty sure one scene is going to prevent that from getting shown in school.

Nudity aside, this is just not a movie aimed at a younger audience. It resonates more with forty year-olds that are looking at their own potential midlife crisis or people that are tired of Marlot. Its more of a wine movie than food anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As terribly inappropriate as the suggestions have been, I'm surprised no one has suggested Soylent Green. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
As terribly inappropriate as the suggestions have been, I'm surprised no one has suggested Soylent Green. shake

The films you have suggested have been so much more helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
whac3 wrote:

The films you have suggested have been so much more helpful.

I kept my mouth shut with suggestions because frankly nothing I know of would suit the OP. So rather than drowning him in crap, I haven't put anything forth. The movie he suggested himself will probably be his best option IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.