Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Pierzina
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
...we recommend a player other than the active investigator reads encounter cards and does not reveal the results of passing or failing a test that has not yet been resolved.

This is what our group is doing, we're just wondering if a certain card applied or not. It was an encounter where you find a potion and the player may choose to drink the potion to gain +1 to a stat or not. In the following sentence it explains that if you drink the potion you gain a condition as well (I can't remember which).

Do you guys think that downside should be read aloud or kept secret until they choose to drink the potion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually always read the whole card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I would totally play that way, but I can't fault people who prefer to read ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interestingly, we play Arkham Horror "blind" as you describe - but with EH there's less margin for error (we've found), so the need to make informed decisions is a lot greater; consequently, we read the whole card (except for the flip side of spells/conditions/etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards where I'd definitely want to read everything are the Other Worlds whose first paragraph is "You may spend a Clue to resolve the pass effect." In those cards, the two results test different skills, and both close the gate if you pass. The reward from having a Clue is being able to use a different skill, which isn't a reward at all if you don't know what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim, what is the quote from?

Marlowespade wrote:
Interestingly, we play Arkham Horror "blind" as you describe - but with EH there's less margin for error (we've found), so the need to make informed decisions is a lot greater; consequently, we read the whole card (except for the flip side of spells/conditions/etc).

I've never played Arkham, so I appreciate your insight with Eldritch's difficulty/margin of error.

Only in my last few games of Eldritch Horror, have I 'peeked ahead' to see what a pass and fail would mean, but of course, never on spells and conditions. If I recall correctly, it was in a situation as Greg described.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
For flavor we might not read text out ahead of time, but no decisions are made with bullshit fog of war hiding relevant info (ie, if needed, card reader will inform active player of the correct decision).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you've played enough, just starting the card is enough. "It's poker night!" is enough to indicate that the generic city card we drew requires an influence test to gain a random ally on a success, or a debt on a failure.

After the obligatory jokes about the vatican missionary being in the game, of course. (First three times in a row, it was him.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has always played (Arkham and Eldritch) with the rule "stop reading after a check is called for or a choice needs to be made," so I'd stop before the downside. I think the biggest strength of both games is how immersive their theme is, and a huge part of Lovecraftian horror is fear of the unknown!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With EH - and especially with complex encounters - I like to read the card as a story, missing out all the stuff about checks completely (while rolling the dice at the appropriate time). For example "You meet an old man who offers to sell you a vase; you fail to notice the spikes in the base, take a Poison Condition" (the - failed - rolls occur after "vase" and "base" in this fictitious Encounter). I like the way EH sets out the cards to facilitate this approach, it really adds to the immersion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a much more immersive experience without reading the entire card, but playing solo makes that pretty difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Baumgarten
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our sessions, one player is usually in charge of reading encounters( usually me). I most often stop when the test part is gotten to. I will usually read ahead and make a determination if more info would be beneficial or just slowing down the game. I know there is a SMALL margin for error, but don't want to " play God".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison Macrae
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played with someone who wanted to keep everyone else in the dark, and I can understand that narrative impulse. At the same time, we've played the game enough to have memorized most of the effects, and while it often makes no difference, and we leave the pass or fail (whichever didn't happen) unread, EH has a number of effects that you can spend on a critical die roll. It seems unfair to force someone to play their Lucky Rabbit's Foot blind when going up on a game winning check against Yog-Sothoth, while also penalizing new players who haven't memorized the cards, and strategically encouraging us to retain all of our memories about cards, rather than not thinking about them, and being allowed to ask if it matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gathraawn wrote:
At the same time, we've played the game enough to have memorized most of the effects, and while it often makes no difference, and we leave the pass or fail (whichever didn't happen) unread, EH has a number of effects that you can spend on a critical die roll. It seems unfair to force someone to play their Lucky Rabbit's Foot blind when going up on a game winning check against Yog-Sothoth, while also penalizing new players who haven't memorized the cards, and strategically encouraging us to retain all of our memories about cards, rather than not thinking about them, and being allowed to ask if it matters.

We play blind, but we know that people are going to memorize the cards after playing enough. To counteract that, any player with rerolls or potential modifiers can always ask "Do I need to pass this?" and get a sense of how important the test is. That puts new players on a more even footing and gets rid of the game-winning check scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It depends on the wording- I haven't got the game to hand at the moment.

We have always read Arkham Horror encounters 'blind' as this variant suggests, so doing the same with EH was little different to us.

Generally you get a feel for how far to read on each card. Often in encounters in AH it says things like 'you reach out for something (Luck -1).' or 'try you hand at reading the text (Lore -1) to see if you can discover any information.' These are pretty simple- you just read to the end of the sentence and then continue on after the check is made see what happens.

There are a few though that ask you to make a choice in one sentence and then give you the choices in the next. When these come up we usually read ahead and see if its narratively important to know the decision being made. There's some where knowing exactly what you are doing is important, but others where you are plausibly just picking a fork in the road and when these come up we let the player taking the encounter make the decision before carrying on.

We had an encounter in EH that says something like 'you are offered a powerful artefact but who knows what the eventual cost might be? Do you accept?'. In this situation we did not tell them what they were getting until they choose to accept. Narratively they wouldn't know until they accepted so that's how we played it.

Besides its always fun watching people pulling Jenga face whilst they try to weigh up the chances that what Eldritch Horror offers won't just be a slap in the face. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Andarel wrote:
We play blind, but we know that people are going to memorize the cards after playing enough. To counteract that, any player with rerolls or potential modifiers can always ask "Do I need to pass this?" and get a sense of how important the test is. That puts new players on a more even footing and gets rid of the game-winning check scenario.

We also do this! If the encounter says you will be devoured we will nudge nudge them with 'Don't fail this one' and 'Have you failed? Dude, are you SURE you don't want to reroll?!' goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
With EH - and especially with complex encounters - I like to read the card as a story, missing out all the stuff about checks completely (while rolling the dice at the appropriate time).

I can see both sides to this thread. On one side, not reading all the text allows for further exploration in later game. Reading the whole card allows for that story to permeate through the cards to the player. Plus understanding the consequences is key to gameplay.

AS the game is constantly trying to off you, knowing all your choices could be considered "life insurance"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICE 0ne
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get to play enough to memorize. Plus I have a bad memory anyway. I prefer to not have the entire card read. It feels kinda "cheap" knowing your choice doesn't matter or knowing what's going to happen. It makes your decision a less meaningful. I also hate hearing my friends brag about how often they win at games only to find out that they're not playing by the right rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.