4 Posts

Wooden Ships & Iron Men» Forums » General

Subject: When did ships strike rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
The rule book says that the designer felt that ships struck when they had suffered enough under water damage to put it at risk of sinking. The ship's Carpenter could and did pre-carve plugs to pound, during the battle, from the inside into holes made by shot. Since the ships always leaked a little, some leakage didn't matter much.

In all my reading, I have never heard that that ever happened. That is, the Captain get a message that the hold was full of water and so he decided to strike. In my reading the Captain decided to strike when further combat would be useless, that is when he could see few men still on the exposed decks and could hear few guns being fired from the below decks.

As an example, Captain John Paul Jones did not strike when his ship was sinking. He boarded the enemy ship and took it. He could do this because the crew had not yet panicked.

My theory is that ships did not “strike” when they began to sink, they struck when the crew abandoned their duty and fled to the bowels of the ship. They could do this when the marines who were stationed at the stairways to prevent this were killed or wounded. When the crew's morale cracked from seeing their friends killed and guns dismounted, the crew could then hide in the safety of the hold. They also struck from being raked or boarded.

So, more crew and gun hit results, along with more hull boxes added, are called for.

The ships should suffer significant damage (other than hull hits) before they strike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

You should purchase Sails of Glory. I think you'll be much happier. Much poorer, but much happier.

My first game I was taken out by two rounds of fire, that just crushed me with crew damage. The rules forced me to surrender in spite of having a damn-near undamaged ship.

One could argue that in Wooden Ships & Iron Men a player should role-play his Captain a bit and strike when it seems appropriate based upon the overall condition of the ship. No sense playing out a hopeless situation anyway.

As an aside, Jones' crew didn't "panic" because they knew JPJ would shoot them dead if they so much as looked up from their work. He was a fearless leader, but a bit of a nutter as well. Remarkable how the mix of those traits can result in a disciplined crew.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be pedantic, the ship does not strike, the crew does. This usually happens after the crew's union rep figures out that the average crew member pay is not enough to support an increase in union dues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmb
I try to look at the hull hits as slight abstractions, some of the hull hits are crew hits. In another game, Close Action, which is heavily influenced by WSIM....when you knock out crew sections the ship takes a moral check, if it fails the crew morale drops. if that happens enough times, the crew will strike. But when you think about it, its really the same. Shoot a ship enough times and the crew gives up.

most common causes for crew's striking:

1. being raked

2. being dismasted

3. being boarded by superior force

in WSIM reason a ship will strike:

1. losing all hull points

2. losing all gun points and suffering a broadside at range 1.

3. losing all rigging points and then being raked.

4. losing all crew points. (the ship doesnt strike, but its effectively out of the game unless more crew can be put aboard)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.