Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
63 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Shuffling... shufflling... shuffling... would someone like some Dominion with their shuffling? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Adrian
Canada
Edmonton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
YeahSureWhatever wrote:
Played this for the first time last night. I just can't get over the constant shuffling. One has little room to complain about shuffling in a card game, but come on! This game doesn't have "some" shuffling, it IS shuffling. Way too fiddly in this respect as far as I am concerned.

Yeah, this is where most deck-building games fail. You either spend most of the game shuffling, or you shuffle insufficiently, ensuring non-random card distribution. You might be lucky enough that everyone at the table is an expert at shuffling, but I've never experienced that situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You always have an option to build huge deck during the game. Not a winning strategy, but you will avoid shuffling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
YeahSureWhatever wrote:
Played this for the first time last night. I just can't get over the constant shuffling. One has little room to complain about shuffling in a card game, but come on! This game doesn't have "some" shuffling, it IS shuffling. Way too fiddly in this respect as far as I am concerned.
Welcvome to deck builders. Get over it, embrace it, and you won't regret it. Shuffling isn't fiddly, it might be time consuming, but you soon realise you're doing it without realising while others have their turn and it's a non-issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In dice games you roll, roll, roll your dice, constantly it seems. In worker placement you place, place, place your workers, then gather them back again. Gad, playing games is such a chore. Why do we expose ourselves to such drudgery. You know what else I don't like? Books. You just turn, turn, turn the pages all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
In dice games you roll, roll, roll your dice, constantly it seems. In worker placement you place, place, place your workers, then gather them back again. Gad, playing games is such a chore. Why do we expose ourselves to such drudgery. You know what else I don't like? Books. You just turn, turn, turn the pages all the time.
Don't even get me started on breathing... Urgh... in, out, in, out, in, out, in ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have watched this first:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
You should have watched this first:

I really like the high production values, sound quality and depth of understanding this video offers. At least 10 seconds of my life I won't get back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I really like the high production values, sound quality and depth of understanding this video offers. At least 10 seconds of my life I won't get back.

I think your sense of humour might be broken, you should get it checked out. Also, check out the other "5 second" videos once you get that seen to. The Mage Knight Board Game one cracked me up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
YeahSureWhatever wrote:

Agree completely. I made all the sets (with the exception of Guilds) on wooden chips.

Put in a bag, shake, draw.

More work upfront to create the chips - less shuffling on the back end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:
YeahSureWhatever wrote:

Agree completely. I made all the sets (with the exception of Guilds) on wooden chips.

Put in a bag, shake, draw.

More work upfront to create the chips - less shuffling on the back end.

Seriously? Does that work? Sounds awesome! Pictures please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Seriously?
Seriously???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:

There are files here in two types of styles (the ones shown in the first two pictures and the one in the last picture.)

I did the ones in the last style because there are all files but Guilds. The first style has less expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
rickert wrote:

I think your sense of humour might be broken, you should get it checked out. Also, check out the other "5 second" videos once you get that seen to. The Mage Knight Board Game one cracked me up.

And you lost your where? Certainly there's at least a sarcasm segment of it missing. Checked milk carton's for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:
Benkyo wrote:

There are files here in two types of styles (the ones shown in the first two pictures and the one in the last picture.)

I did the ones in the last style because there are all files but Guilds. The first style has less expansions.

Copyright issues anyone????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
kjamma4 wrote:
Benkyo wrote:

Copyright issues anyone????
I'd be more concerned with not-going-outside issues personally!

They do look awesome though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
Fiddly....? Play more, you will love, and you will become a quicker and better shuffler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
They do look awesome though.

They do look cool; but how do you count the remaining cards/chips in your draw pile? You do need this information quite often. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Brooks
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
but how do you count the remaining cards/chips in your draw pile?

Weigh the bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
I'd be more concerned with not-going-outside issues personally!

Agreed. Definitely something that is best done during inclement weather when you can't enjoy the outside anyway (which luckily for me (?) was during the stretch of sub-zero weather this past winter.)

Picon wrote:
They do look cool; but how do you count the remaining cards/chips in your draw pile? You do need this information quite often. ninja

Put your hand in the bag and count. Yes, not as easy as counting a pile of cards but not insurmountable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Massengale
United States
Bensenville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
How 'bout them Cowboys?!
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:
Put your hand in the bag and count. Yes, not as easy as counting a pile of cards but not insurmountable.

Bad luck brian: Plays a gardens strategy; needs to see if he's crossed the 40 chip to 50 chip mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
massenburger wrote:
Bad luck brian: Plays a gardens strategy; needs to see if he's crossed the 40 chip to 50 chip mark.

No harder than counting cards as you play them.

[Next time we game, I'll bring the chips and you can experience them first hand.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:

Easier than weighting the bag. This solves the measurement unit problem; some friends are coming from a remote place of the world, where kilograms are NOT used as the standard weight measurement unit... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Massengale
United States
Bensenville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
How 'bout them Cowboys?!
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:
[q="massenburger"]Next time we game, I'll bring the chips and you can experience them first hand.

Well, I would like that very much!

Back to the original topic, am I the only one who actually really likes shuffling cards? One of the reasons I love boardgaming so much is because I'm still a little kid and I love touching things. Boardgames have lots of different things to touch, and shuffling cards is one of them. Feeling the cards rifle through your hands, mmmmmm, good stuff. Also, listening to other players shuffle their decks. Music to my ears.

Don't get me wrong, I think the whole chip idea is great, I just don't get all the hate on shuffling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
massenburger wrote:
Also, listening to other players shuffle their decks. Music to my ears.

Don't get me wrong, I think the whole chip idea is great, I just don't get all the hate on shuffling.

Wait until you hear the chips striking each other in the bag as you mix them up. The gentle sound of a stack of chips being "clinked" together.....

You'll be in heaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.