Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Stein
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished our first 5 player game and ran out of cones about 75-80% through the game. I used red cubes as substitutes and counted 14 needed to mark fires on the board, and 18 needed to keep track of the fires we had put out.
What gives? I saw an earlier post querying the same thing, but there was no solution offered other than everybody puts in 1 from their VPs. We did that 18 times, although 5-6 were used on the last turn, but still. Unless we were missing something, we were a minimum of 14 cubes short, which is far short of satisfactory.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stein
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never mind.

OK, I think I know what we did wrong. We were adding fire cones equal to the house symbols AFTER the initial fire cone was moved to a new district. So in our game each district had a "plus one".
It wasn't the only rule missed. Thank goodness for the Forums (if you have the diligence to search each page).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do run out, just have each player donate and equal number of fire cones back to the board.

But, we play 6p all the time and rarely run out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eleon Forsht
United States
College Park
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just ran into a problem that made the game unplayable. We ran out of cones, and not everyone has captured fire (6 player game). Once the people who had no fire cones figured this out they just burned down the city removing all of the cones from the players with points, in effect destroying any tactics of even point of point out fires.

I am 95% certain this is not how it is suppose to be played, and having the "correct" number of fire cones would sure stop this issue from happening.

Has anyone else had the trouble with running out of cones, making capturing fires pointless unless everyone captures even numbers of them and no one has captured 0?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eleon wrote:
We just ran into a problem that made the game unplayable. We ran out of cones, and not everyone has captured fire (6 player game). Once the people who had no fire cones figured this out they just burned down the city removing all of the cones from the players with points, in effect destroying any tactics of even point of point out fires.

I am 95% certain this is not how it is suppose to be played, and having the "correct" number of fire cones would sure stop this issue from happening.

Has anyone else had the trouble with running out of cones, making capturing fires pointless unless everyone captures even numbers of them and no one has captured 0?

Nope, never fully ran out.

You could just use some other method to indicate points (captured fires) and put the captured fires back into pudding lane.

That said, perhaps you are playing fires wrong. Hard to say. Were you close to the end when you ran out of fire cones to use?

You are not allowing people to put out fires unless all the fires in an area are contained right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eleon Forsht
United States
College Park
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we did one rule incorrectly, we did number of buildings plus 1 for fires... so it might be ok..

but the rule is "never lose points" because of lack of fires and never run out of fires... That I can live with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eleon wrote:
I think we did one rule incorrectly, we did number of buildings plus 1 for fires... so it might be ok..

but the rule is "never lose points" because of lack of fires and never run out of fires... That I can live with.

Yea, you shouldn't lose points unless EVERYONE loses points. If not everyone has first cones to turn in a few each, just get some chips or chits or something to keep track. No biggie.

Yes, it's not 1 PLUS houses... that would make quite a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.