Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When a leader activates several units (hex 3732-Bragg stack & 3733-Hindman) adjacent to an enemy cavalry unit (Hex 3632-McCook), does;

1) the cavalry retreat dr affect all starting units (hex 3732 and hex 3733) or is there a separate dr for each starting unit (hex 3732 then another cav retreat dr for hex 3733)?

2) If a single cav retreat dr for both units, how do terrain modifiers apply to multiple starting units? Ex: Hex 3732-Bragg stack is across a creek from McCook. Hex 3733-Hindman is not across a creek. Does the +1 creek modifier to the cav retreat dr come into play for Hindman?

3) Hindman is performing an Extended March. Does the the cav retreat dr occur before or after Hindman's EM dr? (also posted separately)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Only 1 unit may be moving at a time, even in a Leader Activation. Cav retreat will affect that one unit, not all the units that have been activated to move. Note that the retreat procedure (7.7 "Performing a Cavalry Retreat, Rules ver. 1.2, p. 19) uses the word "unit's" in reference to the enemy, not "units'" or "units".

In the case of an assault action, there are no movement points, so it doesn't matter.

2. Neither. There is only a single cavalry die roll that only affects the currently moving unit. So, in this instance, don't activate your artillery first - the cavalry will just stand in place!

3. I would argue after. See related thread on your previous question.

Caveat: I'm usually wrong about these things. Wait for others' opinions! I am curious to know, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1- Chris, excellent point. Again it arose over my confusion as to what the definition of "Starts adjacent" was. If we strictly follow para 5.1 March sequence, the cav retreat dr would occur after step 2 but before step 3 and, per your comment, would only apply to the single unit.

2- Concur. As it turn out Hindman is in a restricted ZOC so McCook would not cav retreat for him, but has the option prior to Bragg's stack and would get the +1 drm for the creek.

3- Per the other post and above. My interpretation is that the cav retreat dr occurs after the EM dr.

All good inputs and discussion. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.