Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I tried this squad out against bloody daggers with the Solo AI web-app:

Captain Yorr / Lambda-Class Shuttle
When another friendly ship at Range 1-2 would receive a stress token, if you have 2 or fewer stress tokens, you may receive that token instead. - Ion Cannon - Anti-Pursuit Lasers
Black Squadron Pilot / TIE Fighter - Wingman
Black Squadron Pilot / TIE Fighter - Wingman
Black Squadron Pilot / TIE Fighter - Push the Limit - Targeting Computer
Black Squadron Pilot / TIE Fighter - Push the Limit - Targeting Computer

Was a ton of fun. The PTL/TC Black Squad pilots were focusing and target locking with their PTL (or focusing and evading if likely to be fired on), and as long as they were within range 2 of Captain Yorr, he would absorb their stress tokens. While the Wingman Black Squad pilots would hang within range 1 of Captain Yorr and would remove the two stress tokens at the beginning of the combat round. An interesting combo. I really like the wingman elite talent card.

Any thoughts, fellow geeks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you bother with Push The Limit and Targeting Computer on the TIEs instead of just using Predator? Pretty much the same effect and no stress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
Why would you bother with Push The Limit and Targeting Computer on the TIEs instead of just using Predator? Pretty much the same effect and no stress.

That's a great point! I am still fairly new to the game and am not totally familiar with the overwhelming number of cards (I bought a lot of expansions). However, I found that I could also use PTL to focus and evade when the squad was directly targeted. I also have the option to barrel roll and focus to help maneuver. Will give it a try with predator and see what kind of difference it makes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
killerardvark wrote:

That's a great point! I am still fairly new to the game and am not totally familiar with the overwhelming number of cards (I bought a lot of expansions). However, I found that I could also use PTL to focus and evade when the squad was directly targeted. I also have the option to barrel roll and focus to help maneuver. Will give it a try with predator and see what kind of difference it makes.

Predator is certainly more offense-oriented, but one nice thing is it works even if you couldn't take an action (due to stress or collision). Or you could just have Howlrunner on your team, but then you have to fly in a tight formation and it stops working when Howlrunner dies (and doesn't work for Howlrunner's own attack), so... Try Predator and see what you think!

There are still some ships that will prefer PtL overall (probably Interceptors, since the stress doesn't hurt them that much, and often they REALLY want to Barrel Roll and Boost, or Focus + Evade when Barrel Roll and/or Boost won't help). But it looks like Predator is the better 3-point upgrade in a lot of cases - and is almost certainly better than the PtL + Targeting Computer 5-point combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest problem with Predator right now is that you need to buy more Defenders to get it. It's like the curse of the A-Wing and Push the Limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Predator is certainly more offense-oriented, but one nice thing is it works even if you couldn't take an action (due to stress or collision). Or you could just have Howlrunner on your team, but then you have to fly in a tight formation and it stops working when Howlrunner dies (and doesn't work for Howlrunner's own attack), so... Try Predator and see what you think!

There are still some ships that will prefer PtL overall (probably Interceptors, since the stress doesn't hurt them that much, and often they REALLY want to Barrel Roll and Boost, or Focus + Evade when Barrel Roll and/or Boost won't help). But it looks like Predator is the better 3-point upgrade in a lot of cases - and is almost certainly better than the PtL + Targeting Computer 5-point combo.

I have definitely used the PTL/TC combo on Interceptors before.

The interesting thing with this squad set-up is that Yorr and the Wingman's abilities makes stress pretty irrelevant, setting up a chain of stress absorption that stretches range 2 from Yorr's position. The extra 2 point cost over Predator allows the variability to choose your extra action: Do I focus and target lock? Do I barrel roll and evade? Do I focus and evade? The chain of stress removal also allows some great maneuverability since you can red maneuver (k-turn) and even if you are range 2 from Yorr, you are cleared of stress and can barrel roll, push the limit, and focus, still without having a stress token. At the end of the maneuver phase, the wingmen clear 2 stress off of Yorr and the cycle starts again.

Plus, focus can be used offensively or defensively. Another advantage over Predator.

However, I can definitely see the advantage of Predator in a squad without the stress relief of Yorr and the Wingmen. Will definitely try it on my Ties in another squad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
My biggest problem with Predator right now is that you need to buy more Defenders to get it. It's like the curse of the A-Wing and Push the Limit.

I have an abundance of PTL due to buying two Imperial Aces packs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Raz
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just a lot of points on 4 very fragile ships. And they are not very offensive to begin with. So your Target Locks are only going to be re-rolling 2 dice a lot of the time. You don't get a lot of bang for the cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.