9 Posts

World at War: Eisenbach Gap» Forums » Rules

Subject: scenario 1 - rule questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M C
msg tools
Hey Guys,

I just completed a few runs of scenario 1 - solo. It was intense, even though I kept thinking the numbers of the 1st tank would prevail, the results were very different.

I had a couple of quick questions about the rules, I just wnat to make sure I am playing this right.

1. Can a M113 attack a T72 with its yellow number (HE)? - I have been using the M113 with a 1d6 (>=5) to see if it hits T72's within its range and if it does I am disrupting the T72 and if its already disrupted I am reducing it. Over the course of two turns (lousy rolls for the T72 rally) it managed to kill the T72...not sure if this is right.

2. When a HQ and a T72 in the same hex is disrupted and they rally do I do a 2d6 once or two times? If twice then what happens if the T72 rallies but the HQ doesnt? (the rules say that HQ cannot be alone).

3. Does the HQ modifier (dice symbol) on the counter apply to both firepower (add dice for firepower) and defensive rolls (add dice for armor saves)? I am not sure about this one.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
msg tools

This is how scenario 1 ended for me in the last playthrough, * using ammo depleted counter as wreck here.

Which also brings me to a question that there are not enough wreck markers in the box (or am I supposed to end the scenario when the number of remaining units cannot finish the mission successfully).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth James
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
forceshade wrote:
Hey Guys,

I just completed a few runs of scenario 1 - solo. It was intense, even though I kept thinking the numbers of the 1st tank would prevail, the results were very different.

I had a couple of quick questions about the rules, I just wnat to make sure I am playing this right.

1. Can a M113 attack a T72 with its yellow number (HE)? - I have been using the M113 with a 1d6 (>=5) to see if it hits T72's within its range and if it does I am disrupting the T72 and if its already disrupted I am reducing it. Over the course of two turns (lousy rolls for the T72 rally) it managed to kill the T72...not sure if this is right.

HE is for soft targets only. Though if I recall you can attack unarmored vehicles with HE; these are considered soft targets for this purpose. Edit for clarity: You may, of course, use AP fire against unarmored vehicles instead, if you choose. This is usually the better option.

forceshade wrote:
2. When a HQ and a T72 in the same hex is disrupted and they rally do I do a 2d6 once or two times? If twice then what happens if the T72 rallies but the HQ doesnt? (the rules say that HQ cannot be alone).

I believe rally occurs for each HEX, not for each UNIT. You would roll once.

forceshade wrote:
3. Does the HQ modifier (dice symbol) on the counter apply to both firepower (add dice for firepower) and defensive rolls (add dice for armor saves)? I am not sure about this one.

Thanks again.

HQ modifier adds dice for firepower, not for defensive rolls. It also reduces the morale check results for units in the same hex as the HQ, which I've found to be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth James
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
forceshade wrote:

This is how scenario 1 ended for me in the last playthrough, * using ammo depleted counter as wreck here.

Which also brings me to a question that there are not enough wreck markers in the box (or am I supposed to end the scenario when the number of remaining units cannot finish the mission successfully).

Are you giving the Soviets all their defensive bonuses? My first play, I forgot that vehicles get another defensive die when occupying a hex with a wreck. Also don't forget LOS; two wrecks block it, among other things. That seems like some pretty heavy casualties for the Soviets. In my plays they've been able to wrap up Bergengipfel pretty easily; the really heavy fighting tends to be in Eisenbach.

Also, are you using the Soviets' artillery strikes? Those make a huge difference, I've found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
msg tools
EvilPandaPirate wrote:

Are you giving the Soviets all their defensive bonuses? My first play, I forgot that vehicles get another defensive die when occupying a hex with a wreck. Also don't forget LOS; two wrecks block it, among other things. That seems like some pretty heavy casualties for the Soviets. In my plays they've been able to wrap up Bergengipfel pretty easily; the really heavy fighting tends to be in Eisenbach.

Also, are you using the Soviets' artillery strikes? Those make a huge difference, I've found.

I was giving them the wreck bonus (and also using the wreck LOS rules). As far as I understand the rules - something just behind a wreck is an hindrance, but something 2 spaces out is a block.

I put almost all of Team Yankee units close to or around Bergengipfel, with nothing in Eisenbach in the start.

As far as artillery is concerned 3 x 4^5 HE and 1 smoke is what I used (as per SSR). The smoke failed (guessing Pact only get one so I can't keep trying) and the HE strikes I wasn't sure if it would do anything to the tanks (only infantry correct?). The only infantry / soft target was in the city and it really didn't do anything till really late game - so not sure if the HE would have changed the tide of war. It almost felt like the Abrams were playing shooting gallery with the T72's. Unless I am missing something here.

I was also unsure about taking a T72 unit 4 squares away from a HQ (since it can move 7). What happens if a unit starts out in command and ends a turn out of command (or do I have to roll a morale check for every hex outside its command area) - In one impulse.

The best the T72's were able to do was to reduce one of the Abrams (below the HQ).

Coming from playing games of ASL, this thing moved really really fast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth James
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
forceshade wrote:
EvilPandaPirate wrote:

I was giving them the wreck bonus (and also using the wreck LOS rules). As far as I understand the rules - something just behind a wreck is an hindrance, but something 2 spaces out is a block.

I put almost all of Team Yankee units close to or around Bergengipfel, with nothing in Eisenbach in the start.

As far as artillery is concerned 3 x 4^5 HE and 1 smoke is what I used (as per SSR). The smoke failed (guessing Pact only get one so I can't keep trying) and the HE strikes I wasn't sure if it would do anything to the tanks (only infantry correct?). The only infantry / soft target was in the city and it really didn't do anything till really late game - so not sure if the HE would have changed the tide of war. It almost felt like the Abrams were playing shooting gallery with the T72's. Unless I am missing something here.

I was also unsure about taking a T72 unit 4 squares away from a HQ (since it can move 7). What happens if a unit starts out in command and ends a turn out of command (or do I have to roll a morale check for every hex outside its command area) - In one impulse.

The best the T72's were able to do was to reduce one of the Abrams (below the HQ).

Coming from playing games of ASL, this thing moved really really fast!

I've found in my few plays that the game kind of starts in a "win-state" for the Americans. It's up to the Soviets to turn the tide, and they generally have to rush the Americans, relying on superior numbers. Consider that Soviets get just one activation a turn (i.e. one chance to move OR fire at full strength OR use moving fire) while the Americans get two. This translates to more than twice the opportunities to hit the Soviets per turn, when you consider opportunity fire; there's literally no penalty for using opp fire, as the Ops Complete marker will just be removed at the start of the next activation.

Re: your question regarding command, the morale check for remaining in command occurs only at the start of an activation (or, if you'd rather, impulse). So a unit moving beyond HQ's range will not automatically be out of command, but WILL have to perform a morale check at the start of that unit's next activation.

Ultimately, aggression is key for the Soviets if they want any chance at victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Arty can disrupt a Tank unit correct?
How did smoke fail? It only drifts I thought (its been a while)
Pressing your units up to Bergengipfel is a cool solution for the US as is placing a tank at the extreme end of the map South but just in HQ range. To fire from the flank.
The Soviets have to get close to kill, and lucky to win this scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
msg tools
hipshot wrote:
Arty can disrupt a Tank unit correct?
How did smoke fail? It only drifts I thought (its been a while)
Pressing your units up to Bergengipfel is a cool solution for the US as is placing a tank at the extreme end of the map South but just in HQ range. To fire from the flank.
The Soviets have to get close to kill, and lucky to win this scenario.

You know I might have been using the Arty rules wrong (thinking it behaves like a AFV)...I was using the 1 x 4^5 (5 as the ToHit number)

I put most of the Team Yankee units in Bergengipfel and the T72 regiment started out in the city to the left of it (Schlafen...), The first impulse to the soviets the 3 tank stacks got stalled (disrupted) due to op fire. The other tanks and HQ had to go around them (slowed the movement). The next impulse went to Yankee who were shooting again. It looks like the Abrams hit really hard.

The reason I put Team Yankee up there was because I thought the entire advance for the 1st comes from one side of the map and almost all of them will have to go within 4/5 hexes (command radius), so they would have to pass as a bundle (since I was unsure about the whole command rule in the same impulse).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
When you shoot of course you know 1 shot disrupts 1 unit in a stack of 2 platoons. The only time you have 3 units is if the HQ is in the stack.
Stacking is enforced at ALL times including movement.

You want him (HQ) with the one or two units trying to provide overwatch for the Soviets.
Use the hill to the North of the map, rush the hill and take Bergen...fel.
OR use smoke to cover that approach. Then bum rush Eisenbach.

US can pop a unit south at extended range even to avoid being shot at and cherry pick units that get too close. The thin skin LPTV has huge range- get it somewhere safe to shoot loooong. Even if that might mean rolling for command control. 3^4 is gunna knock most units on their can.
HAVE FUN!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.