Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: magnum opus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
steve pullan
United Kingdom
oldland common
Avon
flag msg tools
mb
noddy question here

If I have 2 copies of magnum opus in play, can i get 4 credits for one click?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F
msg tools
Nope.

A lot of things cards do are what are called paid abilities. These are set out as:

Cost to be paid: Effect gained

Magnum opus has the cost of 1 click, and this gains you 2 credits. Therefore when you use magnum opus you're only activating one paid ability with this click and only ever getting 2 credits as the second magnum opus has its own paid ability. Hope my poorly worded explanation helps, there are a fair few cards people ask similar questions about.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
Avatar
mb
If you had two vending machines but only $1 could you put the dollar into one of the machines and get candy out of both of them?

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wedgeex wrote:
If you had two vending machines but only $1 could you put the dollar into one of the machines and get candy out of both of them?



Well if you had the vending machiens, you could get candy out of them without any money!

Funny that this is almost a duplicate of this question:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1208534/pro-co-question


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a benefit to having multiple Magnum Opuses out, then? Or, for that matter, any of the bank cards like Armitage Codebreaking Job?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Briley
msg tools
Clevider wrote:
Is there a benefit to having multiple Magnum Opuses out, then? Or, for that matter, any of the bank cards like Armitage Codebreaking Job?


For Opus, no. There's no benefit having a second unless the first is trashed.

For cards like Armitage which have a limited lifetime (6 uses and it's gone) there can be an advantage in playing a second early so it's ready to go as soon as the first one is consumed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turtlewax wrote:
noddy question here

If I have 2 copies of magnum opus in play, can i get 4 credits for one click?


No, but you get to choose which of them you wish to use to gain 2 credits
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/12962256#12962256

Seems this question has been asked a lot lately... FFG should have just made Magnum Opus have a "Unique" Symbol next to its name.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/12962256#12962256

Seems this question has been asked a lot lately... FFG should have just made Magnum Opus have a "Unique" Symbol next to its name.


That wouldn't solve the problem unless every card with a paid ability was unique. Speaking as someone who has won a game because MO isn't unique, I kind of like that it's not.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
...there's definitely a story there
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
unitled wrote:
...there's definitely a story there


I had lost a key breaker and my only recursion was Scavenge. I guess, in retrospect, I could have Scavenged the MO already in play and installed the one in my hand afterwards, but that wouldn't have left my opponent baffled for a click.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IncompleteUserNa wrote:
xpiredsodapop wrote:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/12962256#12962256

Seems this question has been asked a lot lately... FFG should have just made Magnum Opus have a "Unique" Symbol next to its name.


That wouldn't solve the problem unless every card with a paid ability was unique. Speaking as someone who has won a game because MO isn't unique, I kind of like that it's not.


Sure, but have you played with anyone who tried install two or three Professional Contacts?

You still only get 1c per 1 card drawn, not 3c and 3 cards. So in that situation, why not make it a unique card so that way there is no confusion that only one benefits you from being on the table? I think it would keep questions like this from popping up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:

Sure, but have you played with anyone who tried install two or three Professional Contacts?

You still only get 1c per 1 card drawn, not 3c and 3 cards. So in that situation, why not make it a unique card so that way there is no confusion that only one benefits you from being on the table? I think it would keep questions like this from popping up.


Then you would have the same questions with people answering "No, because it's unique, but assuming it wasn't unique... [cut and paste current explanation]

Probably fewer questions, though
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gotten the reverse question about Kati Jones a few times: "Can I use one ability on each copy of Kati Jones?" "Well, Kati Jones is unique, but if she wasn't..."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.