Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game – Wisdom and Warfare» Forums » Rules

Subject: Greeks special ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joern Blumenthal
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi,

yesterday I have played a 3 person game.
I'm not shure if i'm using the "trade keeping" ability correct.

For example:
After the round the greek have got 10 trades
- 6 for tech Level 1
- 4 to much ...

Greek choice a tech, that no other one have, and will retain the trade.
But how much ?
COMPLETE 10 ? OR Only the 6 (the costs of the tech level 1 ?)

The ability means "gets the costs back" ... (wrote in german manual)
ok .. TECH Level 1 cost's = 6 ... get 6 back
or .. i had 10 trades, so i get back 10 trades ...

What is the truth ?
Does anybody have an idea?

Thanks, Br.
(sorry for the bad english .. but i hope you can understand)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the Greeks research a tech nobody else has they keep their trade, that means they spend none of it. In your example that would mean that they keep all 10 trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew is right but the Greeks are way overpowered. I would use the different Greek ability from the FAQ 2.0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joern Blumenthal
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
"Where are you from?" "Long story. The Pacific Ocean, I guess."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I dislike about the FAQ variant is that the Greek ability becomes really bad in a 2 player game (get at most 1 culture for each tech you learned/researched that the other doesn't know). If only there was a variant that made it scale better...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
Mythdracon wrote:
The only thing I dislike about the FAQ variant is that the Greek ability becomes really bad in a 2 player game (get at most 1 culture for each tech you learned/researched that the other doesn't know). If only there was a variant that made it scale better...

You can decide to make it 2 Cultures instead of 1 in a 2 players game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
"Where are you from?" "Long story. The Pacific Ocean, I guess."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I just wish they clarified that in the FAQ. Oh well. This game is well suited for house rules given how uneven in strength the civs all are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Downey
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group was talking about the Greek's ability the other day and we were wondering. If you take the rationalism social policy and you use it at the start of the turn to gain a technology that no one else has, do you still keep all of your trade because of the Greek's special ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
Tsithlis wrote:
My group was talking about the Greek's ability the other day and we were wondering. If you take the rationalism social policy and you use it at the start of the turn to gain a technology that no one else has, do you still keep all of your trade because of the Greek's special ability?

Nope as rationalism is used to learn a tech.
Greek ability only works for researching a tech -> only during the research phase.
Still Greek trade keepign ability should not be played with W&W. Therefore, it's highly suggested to use the official variant :

"Each time the Greek research or learn (so here it would work with Rationalism and all other stuff that make you learn a tech) a technology, they gain 1 Culture for each other player that doesn't currently have this tech."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.