Popular Tags: [View All]
Alison
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm VERY new to board games (I know, slow to the party). So far we've played Munchkin a LOT, plus variations; Cards Against Humanity and Fluxx.

I've played Settlers of Catan, Hive and Carcassonne on my iPad, but they're very different games played that way, and not entirely satisfactory. I tried and failed to play the Ticket to Ride card game - I need to see it played, really.

I play with my almost grown-up son and daughter - we'd like a game that's easy to learn, easy to play, not too tactical (something dependent on luck is funnier) and playable for 2 or 3 players.

We have an excellent board game cafe near us, so we could have a go at something before we buy - they have a vast range of games.

Any ideas please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wizard Nathan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd definitely have a look at the board game of Ticket to Ride. It's simple but very enjoyable.

Another one worth checking out could be King of Tokyo. If you're familiar with the dice game Yahtzee you're halfway there, but even if not it's a simple game with a lot of fun. It's about monsters trying to be, well, King of Tokyo. Fun and silly.

Love Letter probably won't work with two players but it'd be fun with three. There's only 16 cards in the whole game, and you can learn it in about a minute.

Hope you find some games that work for you!

edit: If you find it easiest to see how a game is played (I do all the time), there are plenty of videos on this site that will show you. Searching for any game and then going to the video section of the game's page will have a lot of reviews and how-to-play guides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Forbidden Island is a nice little game, and quite suitable for play at your neighborhood café.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for those. I've seen Ticket to Ride board game played online, but the card game is different. I already have the card game, and it's frustrating not being able to figure it out.

I've looked for videos for the ToR card game, but can't find anything in English.

I'll check out King of Tokyo and Love Letter.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'll check out Forbidden Island too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Qin, Alhambra and, dare I say it, Kingdom Builder, although I find the latter is better with at least three as there will be much more blocking and you have to change plans more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokaido, Takenoko, Artus, Blueprints and Escape: The Curse of the Temple are a few to look at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys - I can see I'll be going to the cafe with quite a list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion. Absolutely Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Behdaad Vala
Iran
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for king of tokyo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor works very well with two or three players. The rulebook is very short, so you can pick this up very quickly.

Jaipur is a great little game, but it's limited to two players.

We like Alhambra, but prefer Alhambra: The Card Game. It's easier than Alhambra because it removes the spatial aspect of the tiles. If you like this card game then you will probably like the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you might like Elder Sign. It works fine with three players; if you play with two players, you might consider each person playing two investigators.

Kingsburg is a great worker placement (Dice placement) game. It works well with three players. If you only have two players there is a variant in the rulebook to make this work. And it works pretty well.

Lords of Waterdeep and Stone Age are really good introductory worker placement games. They both work fine with two; Stone Age has specific rules for two players.

San Juan is a good hand management game. If you can get the hang of San Juan, which isn't hard, It will allow you to graduate to Race for the Galaxy, which is our favorite two player game. Although the game does support up to four players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Jarvin
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trieste is a fantastic 3 player game, and reasonably priced. Rather an overlooked gem in my opinion.

Gravwell is quite a bit of fun. It can get pretty chaotic and we get great table talk with it, lots of laughs. I wish it hit the table more, but one of our friends who we play with is a right brain type and prefers planning five moves out instead of reactionary gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Trepanier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I may through in, I find especially at the newer stage, coops are good!
Pandemic is GREAT! You definitely feel like a team trying to cure a worldwide Pandemic.
Carcassonne is a good intro into a strategy I find. A tile laying game that is very easy to learn and play, but is also quite deep. This was one of my first ones.
Bohnanza is a really fun and easy trading games! Give this one a look too.

+1 Splendor
+1 King of Tokyo

Welcome to the hobby. It's fantastic! And BGG is great for learning new games and expanding your collection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheJarvin wrote:
Trieste is a fantastic 3 player game, and reasonably priced. Rather an overlooked gem in my opinion.

Gravwell is quite a bit of fun. It can get pretty chaotic and we get great table talk with it, lots of laughs. I wish it hit the table more, but one of our friends who we play with is a right brain type and prefers planning five moves out instead of reactionary gameplay.

We don't play Gravwell to win. We play Gravwell to not lose the worst

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Lucas
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Takenoko!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the hobby! No, you are not late. Awesome games are coming out all the time meeple

Ticket to Ride for sure. Watch it played here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/17241/ticket-ride/tableto...

easy to learn, easy to play, not too tactical and playable for 2 or 3 players.

Games we have owned for a few years and still enjoy with our grown up and almost grown up kids. Easy peasy ...

Bohnanza
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Carcassonne
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Dos Rios
Alhambra
Archaeology: The Card Game
Finca
Cartagena
Tobago
Africana

As for fun, I would recommend Love Letter and Citadels

Isla Dorada, Cosmic Encounter and Mystery of the Abbey are fun games but you need at least 3 players. Another fun game is Dixit but with less than 4 it is a little flat.

Enjoy!

Edits: corrected links.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, thanks for ALL recommendations, folks. I have a lot of work to do!

(Incidentally, I've seen the Ticket to Ride board game, and thought I'd like the card game, so I bought it. It's the Ticket to Ride: The Card Game I can't figure out. Does anyone have a video for that, in English?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.